Quantcast
Nortel......price plummets - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nortel......price plummets

My Ride
    V167

Default Nortel......price plummets

TORONTO (CP) - Nortel Networks fired three top executives Wednesday in a shocking announcement linked to financial irregularities that have forced Canada's biggest technology company to restate several years' worth of results.

Besides firing CEO Frank Dunn and two others, the company said it will slash its reported 2003 earnings in half after an audit committee took a closer look at the firm's books. Nortel's finances are being investigated by U.S. and Canadian securities regulators. The RCMP have also made informal inquiries, though a full police investigation has not been confirmed.

The dramatic moves, announced before stock markets opened, stunned investors who sold off Nortel shares (TSX:NT), pushing the stock down 27 per cent to $5.55, cutting Nortel's total market value by more than $8 billion in a matter of hours.

In addition to the firing of Dunn, a former chief financial officer who took over the company in 2001, Canada's giant maker of telecom equipment gear also removed former CFO Douglas Beatty and former controller Michael Gollogly - both of whom had been on paid leave.

Four other unnamed senior financial executives were put on paid leave Wednesday.

The firings completed one of the biggest corporate housecleanings in Canadian history and reflect growing pressure on companies to clean up the accounting irregularities that have caused numerous financial scandals in the business world - from the collapses of Enron and WorldCom to the Martha Stewart insider trading case.

Last year, Nortel restated more than three years of financial results and is now conducting a second review about what went wrong. Many analysts expect more restatements.

In making such sweeping executive moves, Nortel is trying to assure investors that it will survive and can recover some of the lustre the company had when it was Canada's richest company and a stock market and held by millions of investors in their stock portfolios.

"This company is fundamentally strong," new CEO William Owens, a former U.S. admiral, said in a conference call with analysts, noting Nortel has good "momentum" in key businesses and about $3.6 billion US in cash in its treasury.

Nortel had been scheduled to release on Thursday its financial reports for the January-March period of 2004. The release of that report has been delayed pending the ongoing investigation.

The Brampton, Ont., company was battered by the collapse of the telecom industry demand and the bursting of the technology bubble in 2001. But, like other companies, it has been dragged down by concerns over accounting measures that have inflated revenues and made the company look stronger than it is.

"The board of directors believes that the actions announced today are about accountability for our financial reporting and are in the best interests of the company and all of its stakeholders, including our investors, customers and employees," Nortel chairman Lynton (Red) Wilson said in a release.

"These actions are an important step in the process of restoring confidence in the company's leadership and financial reporting."

New CEO Owens, a Nortel director since February 2002, was once the second-highest ranking military officer in the United States. He was vice-chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff and commanded the U.S. Sixth Fleet during Operation Desert Storm.

Wilson, Owens and chief financial officer William Kerr, citing the ongoing investigation, refused to disclose many specific details in a conference call with analysts after the announcement.

The company said it doesn't expect a material change to its previously reported revenues in prior periods.

However, the company added that Nortel appears to have had a net loss for the first half of 2003, ended June 30, instead of the previously announced profit for that period.

Kerr said the independent review is focusing on how and when expenses were either recognized or allowed to accrue for recognition in later financial statements.

"Accruals are part of our cost structure, right across the company and would affect - potentially - any element that involves cost. And it's a timing issue," Kerr told analysts.

Dunn had vowed repeatedly that Nortel, which lost billions of dollars in previous years, would be profitable by that point and executive bonuses were tied to achieving profitability in 2003. On Wednesday, Nortel said it would cut its preliminary 2003 net earnings by about 50 per cent.

Asked by an analyst whether the investigation was looking into the possibility of fraud, Wilson replied that "it would be inappropriate to provide specifics."

Nortel general counsel Nicholas DeRoma said the company is "unaware of any current police investigation. If there is one, we'll co-operate, as we have already with the regulatory authorities, and inform people as appropriate."

Ross Healy, president of Strategic Analysis Corp., said there can be a great deal of subjective judgment used when deciding on whether a financial statements immediately recognize expenses or revenues or let them accrue.

"Depending on how hard a line you want to take from an accounting perspective, I guess you could change anybody's numbers - but particularly with a contract manufacturer, like Nortel, you can change the numbers quite dramatically," Healy said.

While Healy was among Nortel's most outspoken critics during its boom years, which ended abruptly in 2000-2001, he said Wednesday that Dunn had done a good job of cutting costs and reviving the battered company since he was promoted from chief financial officer to CEO in late 2002.

"I think I will stand on my forecast that when all of the numbers are out and said and done, that Frank Dunn did a damn good job," Healy said.

anybody lose $$ today??

Its still a decent long hold. I bought a bunch back in the day just over $3 and I am going to hang onto it still. If I see it fall below $4 I will buy some more.

Remember... you only lose money when you sell the shares.

Originally posted by sputnik

Remember... you only lose money when you sell the shares.
    Or when a company goes bankrupt.

My Ride
    335i

Highly unlikely for Nortel
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    L-Tuned

Nortel drags the whole market down . Not a good day for me

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Yeah, a few colleague and I were discussing that here at the office, being a large Telco, it's always fun to discuss other companies. Seems like a large step and I would expect it to plummet stocks for a little while but hopefully with new direction they will rebound and prices will rise. Hell, I was buying Telus Shares way back in August 2002 for 5.21 cents, now they're at 23 bucks (I sold most of them at 27.90 a few months back) When you're buying them that cheap, it's wise to hold on IMO, cause if they go up, you win. And if they go down, you dont lose a whole lot.
    Travel

Nortel isnt going to go bankrupt. Hell if you buy at $5 and it takes 5 years before it hits $10... that would be the equivalent of a 5 yr GIC at around 13-14% (which is unheard of).

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

Woohoo!

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    Highly unlikely for Nortel

Nortel isnt going to go bankrupt. Hell if you buy at $5 and it takes 5 years before it hits $10... that would be the equivalent of a 5 yr GIC at around 13-14% (which is unheard of).
    I wasn't saying it was going to go bankrupt. Just a little comment.

Let's not forget Enron and Worldcom.

Anyways NT is still a good buy IMO as well.

My Ride
    MDX

Seeing as it spiked to 5.60 today, some people could have made a good bit of cash.

yup... 10% in one day isnt a bad haul... now only if i could do that everyday... (bye bye job)

or if i can scrape together $50,000 and do it in one month... $5000/month.... $60,000 a year and only one day of work
    Last edited by sputnik; 04-29-2004 at 03:10 PM.

My Ride
    08 VQ35HR

or if i can scrape together $50,000 and do it in one month... $5000/month.... $60,000 a year and only one day of work
    Is that before or after Mr Federal government taxes you on half of your capital gain?

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by Ben
    Yeah, a few colleague and I were discussing that here at the office, being a large Telco, it's always fun to discuss other companies. Seems like a large step and I would expect it to plummet stocks for a little while but hopefully with new direction they will rebound and prices will rise. Hell, I was buying Telus Shares way back in August 2002 for 5.21 cents, now they're at 23 bucks (I sold most of them at 27.90 a few months back) When you're buying them that cheap, it's wise to hold on IMO, cause if they go up, you win. And if they go down, you dont lose a whole lot.
    When prices go down, people panick and begin to sell. I think it is wise to buy MORE when prices are down cause like you said, when it goes up, it's all good. I'm jumping in on the investing game, I hope things work out well
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

I bought at $5.25USD when it took a dive from $8.50 due the first news of the restatement (should've sold at $6.35 haha), and I think I might buy again once it bottoms out again within the next few days. IMO with Nortel at this price it's almost a certain bet... the company won't go out of business and the prices will definately go back up. Over the last few years Nortel has done the most R&D of any telecom company concerning the 'net and especially VoIP, and they're scoring quite a few new contracts now. As long as the market is on the upswing, there's really nothing to worry about except sitting on your stocks till they make cash.

Last year I bought ATI the day news leaked of insider trading amoung higher ups, and my $8USD stock dropped to $5 within the next few weeks... I bought again at $6 and eventually sold it all at $13 though.

Good luck to all the rest of you Nortel longs out there.

Originally posted by sml

Is that before or after Mr Federal government taxes you on half of your capital gain?
    Capital gains tax is still less than income tax.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Capital gains tax is still less than income tax.
    indeed, if I remember correctly I paid around 6-700 in tax for 4500-5000 in capital gain
    Travel

Originally posted by Ben

indeed, if I remember correctly I paid around 6-700 in tax for 4500-5000 in capital gain
    Yeah... i remember it being around the 12-15% mark. Better than the 22.5% I paid this past year.

My Ride
    335i

I always thought capital gains were way higher? Can anyone link me some information?

Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    08 VQ35HR

Tax on capital gain in Canada changed in 2001. Starting 2001, 50% of your capital gain will be taxed at your income tax level. ie) If you made $5000 in stocks, then you pay tax on half of that, which is $2500. The tax you pay on the $2500 is your income tax bracket. In Alberta, that'd be 0% for anything under $13000 gross, 26% for anything between $13000-$32000 and 32% for anything between $32000-$64000, etc... So, If you're in the 26% tax bracket, you'd have to pay $650 in tax, which is about 13% of your gain. As you can tell, the amount of tax you pay depends on your income tax bracket, if you make over $103000, then you'd be in the 48% bracket, which means you almost have to pay 25% in tax!!! Interesting thing is that prior to 2001, when the market was doing sweet, capital gain was something like 75% depending on your investment, but then when the stock market crashed, the govt changed that to 50% so you can claim LESS as capital loss. I'm sure if the market picks up a lot again, they'll raise it back up! Government ripping you off at it's best!

My Ride
    335i

Thanks for the detailed description. I do remember learning in one of my econ classes that capital gains were 2/3 taxable, which was kind of ridiculous. Its good that they've changed it.

Felon or Mistermeiner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast