Quantcast
Where to file a complain about a home builder? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Where to file a complain about a home builder?

My Ride
    08 VQ35HR

Default Where to file a complain about a home builder?

Where should I go to file a complain about a home builder? We're getting screwed up the a-hole by this builder and we'd like to voice our minority rights to let everyone know of their pathetic so called "professionalism". Thanks!

My Ride
    V167

from what I have seen nobody gives a shit, new home warranty won't do shit, only way to screw the builder over is to screw THEM over by sueing or by going to the media. Other than that, I am also interested in filing a similar complaint....so if anybody does knwo then plz post up relevant info (don't really care if it sets him back financially or whatever.....anything to mar his reputation is good enough for me )

Info will not only be helpful for my family but also for everybody else living on my street (which lets you get an idea of how bad this specific builder treats customers/deals with problems)

My Ride
    335i

Better Business Bureau.

Here on beyond.

Friends and relatives.

Word will get out!
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

whos your builder.....
    Last edited by JordanLotoski; 04-30-2004 at 12:22 AM.

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

My Ride
    '07 Ranger FX4 Level II

or avi!!!... new home warranty is owned by all the buldiers, so that does nto get you jack shit, BBB will slap them on the wrists. Biggest thing to do is threaten lawsuit... also try and stop construstion on the house (cost them money) untill everything has been resolved
    Originally posted by rage2

Just because you're older... doesn't mean you need older women. Nothing wrong with an 18 year old here and there!

My Ride
    2011 Subaru Impreza

Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT
    whos your builder.....hang on lemme guess CARDEL?
    what problems have you had with Cardel? my new house is a Cardel, and so far, it seems to be pretty good.. They took care of me every step of the way. My uncle is building like, right next to me, and he's building with Shane Homes, and although there's some communication problems with them, the scope of work seems to be pretty decent too.

Cardel seemed to be more expensive compared to the other builders in the community.. Shane and Cidex.. but some of the quality matierials and standards that come with the house are bar none.. like, 16" soc vs. 24" soc etc etc.

Anything in particular that soured your transaction?

The first step to complain.. first of all, try to establish contact with the builder.. do it in writing. This is so they have something physically. Dont just call in, because what will end up happening is you get passed from one person to the next, and nobody follows up. List your deficiencies, ask for a timeline. Your builder does have one year to finish the deficiencies from the date you take possession of your home. So be patient. When the time is up, and the deficiencies are not finished, write a letter along with all the correspondence you have to the NHWP, they will send out an inspector to inspect your home to make sure that indeed it is a deficiency and not like, say.. a dent in the wall from when you moved in etc etc. They do their part as a mediator.. they protect both the home buyer as well as the builder.

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

thats why u build with morrison

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

My Ride
    2011 Subaru Impreza

I work for a condo developer. We're part of the NHWP for our protection, and customer assurance. We've had some problems with purchasers in the past too. Like, people dont take care of their hardwood flooring, so it starts to crack and they blame us for it. And people blame us when they wear out a toilet seat on their toilet (after 10 months of use) they blame us for not installing it properly, that's why it's worn out, and loose.

That's where the national home comes in. It's their job to determine if the hardwood flooring was installed or damaged/defective, or if its just because the owner didnt take care of it. (a dude had a dog in his place, and the dog pee'd on the hardwood, causing it to warp, so he called the NHWP and told them it was installed like that.)

But when I take possession of my home, I'll now what to look for, but at the same time, not everything is gonna be taken care of 101% to my satisfaction, because it's subtrades doing the work... the drywall wont be 100% straight.. and the painting wont be 100% perfect. But the main things to look for is squeeky floors, scratched cabinetry/countertops, paint overspray, tight doors, nailheads popping out of casings, dents in walls, etc.

My Ride
    2011 Subaru Impreza

Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT
    thats why u build with morrison
    actually, the area I built in had morrison there too. But they're on the other side of the road, which although is the same area and all.. were the multifamily units.. like, the lots were smaller, the houses were smaller, they let people use all kinds of vinyl siding, and they were building condos and townhomes next to them.

After a long day at the office, the last thing I wanna see is a condo!!

I heard some good things from Morrison at the time I bought my house, but their floorplans didnt interest me a whole lot.

My Ride
    08 VQ35HR

The builder is ASSURED HOMES. The situation is different than what all of you are talking about. From what happened so far, I'm glad that we chose not to have continued doing buisness with them or else we'll probably regret it for a long time. We were going to build a custom home with them. We have brought them a blueprint of a similiar house that we would like them to start from. They've hired an external contract designer to convert this blueprint into their own floorplan. It was communicated to them numerous times and understood that we only want to spend an amount up to a certain maximum on this house. The "sales associate" have communicated this to his manager and an agreement was drafted up stating that they believe that it is within projected budget to build this custom home to the specified maximum amount stated by us, but with some unaccounted for uncertainties in building costs, it is possible to not meet the target price. Anyhow, after the blueprints were completed, the sales manager gave us another written statement which states that it is defintely possible to meet our max amount for the house but in order to continue, we'll need to pay them a non-refundable $2500 for the drafting/processing fees which will go towards a credit for the house if we decide to build with them. So, we paid and the next thing we know is that the sales manager's manager came up with the final cost of the construction being 25% MORE than the agreed maximum amount that we wanted to spend!!! He claimed that there were about a million things that were not part of the original plan, but the interesting thing is that the plan never changed. Anyways, now they will not refund the $2500 deposit based on the contract that we've signed. I know what's written on the contract is what's on the contract, but at what point does the consumer get potected when the builder blatantly tries to rip you off with a 25% markup? We've spent 4 months discussing the plans and looking for appliances, flooring, railing, kitchen cabinets with this builder and now they decide to surprise us with an outrageous price... We don't really care about the $2500 that we lost to them, it is our fault for not protecting ourselves on the contract (not like we had a choice since their lawyers drafted it up and you cannot negiotiate the terms on it). What we want is to let everyone out there know the unethical and unprofessional practice that this particular builder is showing us. Just remember that this is PRIOR to even building the house, just imagine what trouble we'd see AFTER we've built with them. Needless to say, we pulled out of the contract and swolled the bullet. Just remember, ASSURED HOMES is exactly what it's not... not very "assuring" to the home owners out there.
    Last edited by sml; 04-30-2004 at 12:20 AM.

My Ride
    08 VQ35HR

btw, 25% may sound very little to some people, but this house is going to be more than half a million dollars and 25% of $500k is $125k. You can buy a small condo for the price that they're overcharging us for!!!

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

check PM man

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

My Ride
    2011 Subaru Impreza

holy jeeze. That's a huge markup.

didnt you have a lawyer to represent you? I mean, when building a custom home, there's always a chance of somebody screwing up, because its different from the norm... away from their normal plans and practice.

Is there no reference in the contract stating the estimated scope of work would cost X sum of money?

I can understand that extra costs could come from an increase in material costs or delays in labour from weather.

But to charge you $2500bucks up front is like charging you $2500bucks for drawing you a plan. I've drawn a set of building permit/developing permit drawings of a duplex for a client of ours, and our company charged him about $2500 for the work. I think it took me close to 90-100 hours or so after it was all said and done (includes revisions with architect).

But when you approach them for a cost of the home, before you sign for anything, they should give you the exact cost, or thereabouts for your bugeting purposes. And when you sign, they should have some final numbers, but 25% up from the original is one heck of markup. I dont think that's right at all.

My Ride
    2002 Honda Civic LX

Talk to the Calgary Regional Homebuilders Association.

Bumping an old tread.
    I'm about to take this shit to media.
    Any advices?

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Depends on the actual problem.

My Ride
    '21 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by The_Penguin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Depends on the actual problem.
    This. You have to give us some kind of info first before we can give you any advice if you’re about to take it to the media...
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

builder keep dragging saying they will get things done, but its been a year and nothing got done/
    already filed warranty but nothing happens, and im stuck here with unfinished exterior staircase, cedars, and some other minor things in the house, i would say around $5000 worth of things that needs to be done.
    and recieved a call from builder last week, they say they will schedule (which is what they have been saying for the past yr), so im running out of options, should i still wait? i mean they got all the money for the house last year, and its a little ridicoulous that the house is still not finish.