Quantcast
universal vertical door conversion kits - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: universal vertical door conversion kits

My Ride
    WRX

Default universal vertical door conversion kits

Good day to everyone,

I was looking to get one of those universal vertical door conversion kits, however I'm kind at a lost in figuring out which kits are the best to get. I'm looking for something universal and easy to restore the original door hinges if reguired. And I have no idea what brands are good.

I have heard that of differences between the 'straight up vertical doors' and the ones that open at an 'angle'... and that its safer to get manual mechanical doors instead of the motorized ones in case of any electrical problems.

There is a kit out there that I have heard is just what I'm looking for but I have no idea what the brand is. Its is a basic manual system that has the option to open both vertical or normal swing action, universal fit, easy to restore and full mechanical. Does anyone know what brands does this?

Any views and recommendations would be much appreciated! Thanks

My Ride
    335i

Decah makes the best kit, hands down. No fabrication or major work required. Can be finished in an hour or two.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    WRX

Default just checked it out!

Thxs Weapon_R, jus took a look at the site it looks good... just wondering if you have any other details like the differences in a couple of the different brand of kits out on the market?...

Decah does not seem to carry universal kits. I would like some thing that can be transfered should I decide to change cars and restore original door. Dun supppose you would be able to direct me in the right direction for finding what I'm looking for?.... I have tried searching for " universal vertical door kits" but none of them seem to the a dual function door opening system to choose between vertical and normal door opening action.

Is there a site that I can visit that is dedicated to vertical door mods?....

Thanks again

My Ride
    95 trooper, 04 avy, 00 tahoe

WHAT? they make a door that can either swing vertically or horizontally... how is that even possible, or are u a cracked out newbie... think for vertical you need a hydraulic cylinder or else u would have to hold the door up, and it would take alot of work to open a 50+ pound door every time... i dont think its possible man unless u custom fabricated it.. and also as to universal, most companies dont have the same hinge system, so unless u are sticking with honda-acura, nissan-infinity, toyota-lexus, or soemthing like that u are pooched

My Ride
    '95 eclipse gsx- '04 Yamaha R6

I agree. I've been following the lambo doors since they were invented ans I've never seen anything like you described. They have doors that open about two or three inches and THEN go up but I don't think there's anything that has more than one way to open the door. And if you ever find a "universal" kit... let me know cuz just the logic of a hinge that fits every door on every car is just crazy.

My Ride
    WRX

Default No dudes... I'm not sure as well...

Thanks people.. Like I say I'm not sure as well... I have no real clue about these vertical door kits, they do not have 'em where I come from, so I'm looking for any information about it. I just heard that these kits exist, and I'm just wondering is there was such a 'universal kit'.... or at least a kit that can fit a 'wide range' of cars.

Like the one that I manage to find was at www.autoloc.com. I know what you mean by all different hinges and I dun understand how a universal is possible... but that's whats been claimed.

Do you guys have any personal feedback to these conversions with different kits?... what are the differences in 'performance' of the different brands? Are there any issues with the seals that lead to leaking doors?.. any safety issues?....

Btw clutch_dust, just to check do all the vertical doors open the same way?... correct me if I'm wrong....if you were in side the car, its kinda like the ENTIRE door can be push out than it swings up?... I'm assuming that's the trick that gives the doors clearance to open upwards? I have also notice some pics of doors that seems to show the swing action outwards.. and some pics seems to show swing action inwards.. ( I hope you get what I mean )... whats the deal with these doors? would those that swing inwards be better coz they would require less space?.. ( not that I would really be dumb enuff to park in tight spot all the time )

Thanks again.

My Ride
    95 trooper, 04 avy, 00 tahoe

there are lambo doors and vertical doors... they are very different from each other.. the only real comparison is that they both open vertically... however the lambo swings outwards more than a vertical which like it says just swings up... they are harder to get into.... if u really wanna be original go gull wing like the old school benz'...

My Ride
    WRX

Default Thanks guys

hrmm.. thats what I as wondering about too.. is ithard to get into the car.... ok.. I guess what I'm really looking was for the lambo style doors... and not the gullwing kind from the old gullwing mercs.. and yest they are quite cool!...

My Ride
    98 V70 T5M

A little off topic, but you guys just reminded me of a Red Green episode where he made gull wing doors on some old beater. The hinge on the roof was duct tape (of course), and he made this pulley setup with old rope that went in to the car so you could pull on it to open the doors. It was so ghetto, but brilliant!!

Anyhow, back to business.