Quantcast
Mazda Rotary Engines - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Mazda Rotary Engines

My Ride
    NC1

Default Mazda Rotary Engines

Please enlighten me you tech savvy guys. I'm looking at the RX8 and I'm coming across conflicting information. My salesguy said if I were to encounter any problems post warranty, it would be super cheap to fix. He went as far as saying, I could pop in a new motor for chump change.

Another buddy of mine was drawing comparisons to the early 90's RX7 and told me to get ready for expensive repair bills. He basically said they sucked

So what's the deal?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    240sx, 300c, turbo TE72, FG1 Civic, Pilot

One very important thing to remember is:
    Salesguys will tell you anything to make a sale.

Ask and unbiased party and resources. Consumer reports and those used car buyers guides that you can find at convenience stores are a good place to start. Finding out what causes the problems and preventative steps to ensure those problems are avoided, eliminated, or cured are a good next step.

Remember, UNBIASED. I've heard too much garbage about how people can "live" with the problems they encounter with their cars because they are "normal" and they are used to it. Having to rev match on upshifts while holding the e-brake button with your fly undone while praying to the god of Bomex to ensure the car doesn't stall is not normal no matter how much other people can live with it.

ph: 403.248.1566
    email: [email protected]

Supertech, Link ECU, ViPec, Nistune, Competition Clutch, Nardi, Personal, Worksbell, Seibon, VIS, Shine Auto Project, Agency Power, Status, Full-Race, Stillen, Mazworx,
    Megan Racing, Zedd Performance, Varrstoen

My Ride
    NC1

Given the fact the salesguy was only 21, and me being through this process a few times now, I was expecting to hear some outrageous claims

JD Power rated the early 90 Turbo rotaries 2/5 for mechanical reliability so obviously the hearsay responses to those models are well warranted. But that was 10 years ago!!!

What about the new models? I guess we have to wait and see?
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

The salesman in full of crap. He has absolutely no credibility as he is either lying to your face or has no idea about rotary engines. Rotaries are nice engines but require more maintenance than regular 4-cycle piston engines. They are known for regular oil, gasket, & vacuum leaks. The kicker is that there are very few mechanics who can actually work on these engines without screwing them up. You are usually better off taking a rotary to a specialty repair shop as even most Mazda mechanics can't work on them. The RX-8 is fairly new so the jury is still out but the last generation RX-7 turbo's were a nightmare for Mazda and owners, that's why the RX-8 isn't turbocharged.

I would get a new salesman just on the basis that yours is an idiot.

For 3rd gen owners like myself it is boost that makes the rotary unreliable. Granted rebuilds and reman engines are resonably cheap they are a pain in the ass.

The early non-turbo rotaries run for ever if that helps, but the Renisis engine is a compltetely new beast.

My Ride
    335i

That is a load of crap. There are VERY few places that will service a rotary engine, should anything go wrong with it.

Why are you looking at the RX-8 anyways? Haven't all of the unhappy customers, overpriced cost, and poor reviews turned you off yet?
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    ghfgh

Myself (being a little biased towards rotaries) personnaly I wouldnt even get a RX8. They are way underpowered and cost too much. Dont get me wrong, I like the look and the interior is awsome. But I would personnaly WAYYYY rather buy an SRt-4 or a 350Z anyday over the RX8.

Here is a link to some TSB to correct issues. http://www.finishlineperformance.com/rx8/docs/

Personally I don't like the RX-8's styling. Jeremy Clarkson puts it best when he stated that he thought the RX-8 design was tacked on by utilizing too many different ideas on the same car. It doesn't have a unifying design theme and doesn't flow.

Not a bad car, but I think priced to high for what you get.

My Ride
    NC1

WeaponR, have you taken a look at the standard equipment on a GT?! Talk about fully loaded.......

As for the poor reviews, Edmunds seems to be ranting and raving about it. So where are these poor reviews you speak of? I don't go through every motor magazine so I am probably missing something but I think Edmunds is pretty well respected.
    I am user #49

Motor Magazines also rate the RX-8 very highly, being the winner of a bunch of comparison tests against the G35 and Mustang Cobra to name a few. The reviews are good for the car.

You need to take one out for a spin and decide if its a car for you or not. Having come from a S2000, I think you will feel right at home behind the wheel of the RX-8.....the motor will be a lot quieter and smoother though.

My Ride
    NC1

Car and Driver 10 Best
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=7581

RX8 won over 350Z
    http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/compa...9/article.html

Thanks for good info HeavyD

Akagi Redsuns: You are right, reminds me very much of an S2000 with the high redline, close ratio gearing, RWD but with all the extra amenities i.e. extra seats, comfort, bose stereo. Perhaps that is why I like this car very much.....
    I am user #49

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Just curious, but what's so different about the renesis engine from the previous rotaries produced by mazda?

I heard somebody tell me that they 'reinvented' the rotary, but if it's still a rotary, that's not very re-invented.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    1987 Mazda RX7

i think one of the main things is instead of using a side intake port (side housing) and perpherial exhaust port (rotor housing) , they put both the intake and exhaust ports in the side housing. Someone correct me if I am wrong here.

max_boost - I would say go for the rx8, but I'm a lil biased haha. I mean rotaries just need a lil more care... but I havent had problems with my engine yet... other 15 yr old stuff on the other hand
    1987 GX - Tein HE, s4 turbo stuff

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Well if you love the RX-8, the extended warranty would be money well spent I think. Whats the price range for this car?