Quantcast
Change cylinder head in 97 civic-Need Help - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Change cylinder head in 97 civic-Need Help

My Ride
    Nissan

Default Change cylinder head in 97 civic-Need Help

Can any one tell me if you change the cylinder heat of 97 civic Ex to an Si, how much hp will be gained if at all? Do you have to change the ECU, timing and fuel specs similar to Si? Is this change worth or just waist of money? Some one has told me that if you do the above modification, then one can gain about 20 hp. Please educate me about this subject?

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Are these all canadian models? If so, the EX for the 96-00 is just a canadian Si, ergo they are the same engine and cylinder head and all other internals. if this is a US EX to a US Si, they are different engine families and it won't fit. I don't know who you heard this from..
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

My Ride
    Nissan

This 97 civic EX is canadian made (I think it has D16Y7 block) and would like to gain some HP by replacing it with Si head (say D16Y8). Is this trouble worth the gain in HP? What is the actual gain? Or are there any better alternatives; that is cost vs HP gain?
    Thanks in advnce for your reply

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

well, the Y7 is non vtec, so your swapping on a vtec head. so yes, you would be gaining vtec and around 20bhp. But you would have to do the necessary changes to convert to vtec. Like obviously the ecu, and other vtec components that i don't know offhand like a solenoid and other crap.. someone else might know the specifics better.

btw i thought EXs in canada were mostly cars brought up from the states? This must be a 4 door right?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”

My Ride
    Nissan

Yes, it is 4 door.
    thanks Sean, your are great help

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

This is called the "mini-me" swap i believe. if you need any further info you can try out honda-tech. hth

Originally posted by ~$eanith~

btw i thought EXs in canada were mostly cars brought up from the states? This must be a 4 door right?
    Nope, CDN Ex's aren't the same as the US Ex's. CDN Ex have D16Y7. Our EL's are more comparable to the US Ex.
    Damn +44411's