Quantcast
any graphics designers here? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: any graphics designers here?

Question any graphics designers here?

I'm an artistic person and good with computers, this would be the perfect job for me, but that's about all I know
    First of all, is there demand for graphics designers in Calgary? And besides ACAD, what other ways can I get into this field??

I know UofC and SAIT offer certificates. Who has a certificate from either of these programs and was it worth the money? I mean, does a certificate really take you anywhere in today's job market?

So many questions....your advice is appreciated!

My Ride
    Stock 240sx fastback SE

certificates do get you jobs, Sait's NMPD is a great course if you can get into it, its one of the hardest courses to get into there at sait.

with sait your garanteed jobs, but they may not be great... Sait even emails you saying what jobs are available in the feild.

My Ride
    06 Subaru Legacy GT

I would honestly just teach myself. It's not hard to learn photoshop or illustrator if your really into it, and really interested. I'd say, go buy illustrator, or photoshop, grab yourself a wacom tablet while you at it, and just start following tutorials on the net. If you persistant, and really like it. You should be pretty good within 3 or 4 months!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by SpoonEK9
    with sait your garanteed jobs, but they may not be great...
    Tell that to all my unemployed SAIT graduate friends

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Tell that to all my unemployed SAIT graduate friends
    I know what you mean.
    Bottom line is never what you know or how well you do it. Its always who you know.

Graphic Design (and other computer and computer related industry) is hugely competitive. The job market is totally saturated with people, but few positions are available.

Personally, if I could do it again, I would do something as far away from computers as possible.
    Damn +44411's

My Ride
    2011 Subaru Impreza

I think getting jobs regardless.. is dependent on the need, and type of jobs out there.

Like, I know university grads that finished with engineering diplomas that dont have jobs still.. and work at futureshop.

With a diploma/certificate from any recognized post secondary institution, you're bound to get jobs, just depends on your luck of job openings at the moment, how competitive the market is at that time, and of course, self drive, and how much effort you are putting into getting a job.

alot of people are too picky when going for a job. they are lucky to find a job opening for a job in their industry, but give up too easily because it doesnt have a dental plan or something. Then they complain that nobody is hiring.

I think they should at least give it a try, and at least get a foot into the industry. They can work their way up from there.

Default Re: any graphics designers here?

If you're going for a design based job/career, a strong visual portfolio is a must. Like others have stated, anyone can learn the software. Not everyone has the creative, visual communication, spacial relationship and design skills. If it's an entry level position, then a certificate or formal design degree definitely helps, and one can start 'in house' training.