Quantcast
Has anyone driven to Toronto? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Has anyone driven to Toronto?

Default Has anyone driven to Toronto?

We're planning to do the drive from Calgary to Toronto at the end of June. Because my husband is from the Dominican Republic and only has permanent residence here, we won't be able to get a visa in time to go through the States, so will have to drive the Trans-Can the whole way. I've got directions from mapquest.com, and I'm wondering if their calculated hours are right. It says the distance from Regina to Thunder Bay is 778 miles, which I believe, but it says it's a 16-hour drive. By my calculations, that should only be about a 13-hour drive, which is doable in one day. Then it says from TBay to Toronto is 801 miles, again about 13 hours, but on mapquest it says it's a 17-hour drive. Of course, if there are parts of the highway where you can't drive 60 mph, it would make sense. Anyone have any experience with this? Could we drive to Regina the first day (leaving after work, should get there in about 7 hours if memory serves me correctly), drive to TBay the second day, and onto Toronto the third day? Thanks in advance for any advice!

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Its about 40 hours to Toronto from Calgary.

approx. 14hrs from Calgary to Winnipeg
    approx. 26hrs from Winnipeg to Toronto

The main problem with going through Canada is that from the Manitoba/Ontario border it is only 1 lane to Thunder Bay (hwy #17) and the road winds quite a bit not making it terribly easy (or safe) to pass on. So if you get stuck behind a lineup of cars, you could be there for a while. Don't expect to be able to drive 60 mph the entire time through that stretch.

Wow, you guys are great! Thanks for the fast, informative responses!

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by sputnik
    Its about 40 hours to Toronto from Calgary.

approx. 14hrs from Calgary to Winnipeg
    approx. 26hrs from Winnipeg to Toronto

The main problem with going through Canada is that from the Manitoba/Ontario border it is only 1 lane to Thunder Bay (hwy #17) and the road winds quite a bit not making it terribly easy (or safe) to pass on. So if you get stuck behind a lineup of cars, you could be there for a while. Don't expect to be able to drive 60 mph the entire time through that stretch.
    Which is why you do warp 8 through the prairies to make up for it
    Travel

My Ride
    96 Mystic Cobra and 96 Mustang GT

you can get to the ontario border in about a day :P but ontario SUCKKKKKKS to drive through.... alll twisting roads... mostly 2 lane (one each way)... horrible :p

p.s. watch out for husky house food. i got a real mean case of food poisoning driving to quebec!

My Ride
    2001 Jetta 1.8T

Originally posted by sputnik

And when you do finally get past that line of traffic and open it up a bit..... Bam! There's the OPP.

If memory serves me correctly, the speed limit is 90 km/h through much of northern Ontario.

Yuck...maybe we'll try to get the US visa in time afterall...I think it'd be a much better easier drive.

Thanks all again for your excellent advice.