Quantcast
Shipping from the states - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Shipping from the states

Default Shipping from the states

I want to get something shipped from the states, what do I tell them to do, so that I can avoid duties and stuff like that?

The first time I used UPS and got raped on the charges.

If they send it via express regular post or something, and wrap it and label it a gift, do I have to pay duties?

Thanks

My Ride
    335i

The best way to avoid/reduce your duty charges is to ask the shipper to follow a few simple procedures.

1. Mark the total value of the item at under $50 (if within reasonable grounds - you can't ask them to mark a set of 4 wheels weighing 150lbs at $50. In that case, ask them to mark the value of the item at the LOWEST possible price you can think of. They determine duty on the cost of the item, the lower the cost, the lower the duty. Keep it reasonable to avoid problems with customs.

2. Ask them to mark the item "gift"

3. Ship USPS, I repeat, USPS, NOT UPS, Fedex, or Purolator. Raping aplenty with those companies.

There are many other ways that i'm sure other members will point out, so please add to my list if anyone has any other ideas.

btw - buh_buh gave me the idea of shipping my wheels to Montana and then picking them up - great idea. I paid a total of $30cdn on gst and that was it. With my car, it only costed me $25 in gas (a tank) as it is only approximately 230kms from calgary to the montana border. And besides that, its pretty fun to go there - the prairie scenery totally changes as you pass the border and becomes mountainous almost instantaneously - and i passed towns in alberta i never knew existed! It would have costed a lot more had I shipped it UPS or USPS because they charge gst, duty, and brokerage fees .
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

ask them to send it through USPS.
    Either that or ask them to send it as a gift.

My Ride
    NC1

What is it that you are getting shipped? If its wheels, follow BuhBuh's idea, can't go wrong there.

I remember talking to Rage2 earlier and he told me customs will tear apart anything that crosses the border, if it is obvious that something was marked "gift" when it is not, they will seize the entire package and you lose everything!!!

I don't think it is a good idea to mark the product for under its value, merely for insurance purposes, what if it gets lost?

So caution........
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Its not really cheap, but its not that expensive (wheels).

I'm just getting an alarm, new, value about $200

Last time I had an intake shipped UPS..value was $300 and I got charged $100 to get it...

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

You pay duity on all items, USPS and FEDEX do not charge BROKERAGE FEES which is what you get raped on!
    Travel

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by Benny
    You pay duity on all items, USPS and FEDEX do not charge BROKERAGE FEES which is what you get raped on!
    I ship and order alot of things to and from the states...

Also, if you ship via any other company, you can request that the item be left at the closest customs house to avoid brokerage fees, then you pay the standard Duty and GST, and not the Brokerage fee as well, which is usually as much or more than the duty and gst on thier own, such a shaft!
    Travel