Quantcast
1988 Rx7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 1988 Rx7

My Ride
    None yet

Default 1988 Rx7

Im lookin to buy one of these. The Turbo 10th Anniversary Edition.

Can anyone tell me of any bad things about the car itself?

And maybe even some good ones.

My Ride
    E90 335xi, ZX-10R

check out RX-7 club for tons of info!
    Basically my take on the 7 is that as long as it has been very well taken care of then it will be a reasonably reliable car. The non-turbo model has a lot less problems due to the fact it is easier to maintain. However I think there is at least one person on this site with a white aniversary edition. Maybe get his take on it as well as the other RX-7 gurus

My Ride
    ghfgh

RX7_twinturbo and a few other people have Anniversary RX7's.
    Extreme_Si is pretty much right, if properly maintained the RX7 will be a very reliable car. Also, there are fewer engine related problems that can occur in comparison to a piston engine, this is mostly because there are way less parts.

People who dont know much, or are simply afraid of rotary engines will tell you a bunch of BS about how they constantly overheat and are not reliable, but this is BS.

If you want real info talk to the most experienced rotary guys, like Maxt and Turbo2_RX7 (there are a few more, just never really talked to em)

My Ride
    None yet

Thanks guys. Helps a lot. I actually think im gonna go with the plane jane model just cause of the insurance price with the turbo. When i get enough mulah ill get like a nice turbo kit or something.

the 10Ae rx-7s are nice cars but your right insurance is expensive.I sold mine about a month ago to pay for school. there are only a few problems with them that most of the 7's have ie. wiper switch, sometimes power antenna problems etc. all easy fixes but make a good bargaining tool. the main difference between the n/a and trubo rx7's beside power and some of the innerworkings is that the turbo 13b's tend to wear out quicker with the turbos wearing reaonbly quickly as well but with that being said if it has been maintained in most respects are laughing. I hope you change your mind and go for the anniversary edition!

My Ride
    S5 FC3S

Yes 10AE's are very nice cars. I love all 2nd gen 7's exspecially the S5's....
    I think i would take a S5 Turbo II over a 1988 Turbo II anyday though... There almost as hard to find.

Yes all of the Turbo RX-7's have to be maintained alot more than the NA's. So if you aren't big on spending lots of money i would back away from the Turbo's. They aren't really the best daily drivers compared with an NA either.

Originally posted by on_a_pale_horse
    Thanks guys. Helps a lot. I actually think im gonna go with the plane jane model just cause of the insurance price with the turbo. When i get enough mulah ill get like a nice turbo kit or something.
    There are lots of guys that run around with n/a cars and could not be happier. Put on a header and a good exhuast system and it's a fun car. Do some suspension work and it will handle like a dream. Try to find a GXL, that way if you want to do some turbo swapping later you kind of have the rear end and hubs and stuff. With that said a base GX is considerably lighter than the turbo models and that can be a plus as well.

However if you want the power turbo is the way to go. Most of us with modded turbo cars need another car to drive duing the winter, or when the turbo car is "down". It's not an everyday car.

When considering a car to purchase look for an attentive owner. Oil/fluid changes, real regular stuff. Look for a clean car as well, as little rust as possible. Basically the same stuff you'd look for on any used car.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    Z31 turbo, MPV V-6

what is this S5 turbo II youre takling about?

Originally posted by sin
    what is this S5 turbo II youre takling about?
    S5 Turbo II means Series 5 RX-7 TurboII which further means 1989-1991 RX-7 Turbo II . It has lighter rotors, revised turbo system and rated at 200HP, not to mention the cleaner exterior/interior look (rear circular lights, revised front airdam, revised gauge cluster and other revised interior pieces like the shifter, seats....etc). Great looking cars, but tough to find in either in the NA or Turbo.

My Ride
    Z31 turbo, MPV V-6

oh ok thanks

My Ride
    None yet

Yeah this info helps out alot guys. Thanks a lot. I think i will buy the N/A GXE just cause of the possibility of me getting a turbo to put on the beast. And plus i will be driving it everyday.

Default Re: 1988 Rx7

I may be a little late in responding to your request, but if you are still looking and can wait until the snow is off the ground, then I may be able to help you. I own a 1988 10th Anniversary edition. The car has been mostly in storage for the last 5 years. Come the Spring I will no longer be able to store the car and so it must go. Regarding condition: It has never been driven in the winter. It has two small chips in the paint on the rear spoiler. I believe it has 65K kms on the clock. Other than that it is beautiful. A classic and a significantly better car than my 2002 BMW to drive. Unfortunately 2 seaters do not make for acceptable business cars.

My Ride
    93 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition

really?? how much you willing to let it go for?

Well, the truth be told, I have to research the market in the Spring for pricing. The only two examples I had in the past were from a cursory review of a single Summer edition of the Auto trader of 2 years ago. Both prices were wildly different (one being very high) and in candid conversations with both sellers, neither car came close to the condition of mine in several aspects. So bear with me while I find out. However, should you be interested, you would not be able to test drive the car until the Spring. As I said, this car has never seen snow and has been stored in a massive bone-dry heated warehouse. As a point of interest this place is truly amazing as it is literally akin to walking through a private Museum filled with fabulous gems of cars. Once a month, when I check on the car, they allow me to lift a car’s cover and peek at a small section of that car. There are a couple of mint 1956 300SL Gullwing Mercedes’, either one of which I would love to buy – and a drop dead fabulous 1964 E-Type and an Austin Healy, both of which I would kill for. Unfortunately over the years not one of the owners is even remotely interested in selling – regardless of price. I believe there are over 70 cars just on the floor mine is parked. In the mean time, if you want to suggest a price, I could consider as a market indicator then be my guest.