Quantcast
Truffles - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Truffles

My Ride
    2010 GLK350 4MATIC, 2006 SLK350

Default Truffles

Where can one buy truffles and approx how much are they?
    I know they cost big bucks, but I'm curious as to how they taste...seems like they can make almost any dish 'high quality'...or so it seems on Iron Chef

Truffles are very pungnant... but like all 'luxury ingredients' (such as fois gras) it's each to their own
    ha ha ha
    I watched a Truffles special.. truffle hunters find truffles around the size of a fist and they receive about 1800.. but I have no idea what currency that is. ha ha ha

i believe the currency they normally use is British pounds.
    I watched a documentary on how british farmers used pigs to find truffles and even little dinky ones run upwards of 100 brit pounds.

My Ride
    '08 Mazda 3 GT

They use dogs to find truffles...I watch food network everyday

Truffles are very tasty, I had salmon with truffle sauce once and it was amazing. You might want to check Sunterra market, a likely place to have them.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Truffles are damn expensive...but actually they use dogs and pigs to find them and truffles if I can remember correctly from my cooking classes are only grown in certain regions in France, and truffles are actually a type of fungi aka mushroom...

And truffles can cost like $1000/pound

And lol...U cant just add truffles to any dish and make it taste good, u gotta use it correctly in certain applications such as sauces, shavings ontop of veggies or something...stuffed underneath the skin of chicken breasts to infuse its flavour into the meat lol

To find truffles...I'm not sure in Vancouver but try going to ur local gourmet supermarket..in Calgary I suggest Dibagios across from Churchill HS
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

They can't use dogs anymore because dogs eat the truffles... 3000 dollar meal for the dog lol.
    Originally posted by VIZSLA
    Seems that running qualifying in three heats worked so well we're now running the race in three parts too.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by dj_rice
    Truffles are damn expensive...but actually they use dogs and pigs to find them and truffles if I can remember correctly from my cooking classes are only grown in certain regions in France, and truffles are actually a type of fungi aka mushroom...

And truffles can cost like $1000/pound

And lol...U cant just add truffles to any dish and make it taste good, u gotta use it correctly in certain applications such as sauces, shavings ontop of veggies or something...stuffed underneath the skin of chicken breasts to infuse its flavour into the meat lol

To find truffles...I'm not sure in Vancouver but try going to ur local gourmet supermarket..in Calgary I suggest Dibagios across from Churchill HS
    u mean debajis??? that place has been gone for 3-4 years dude... and the store that replaced it, Wraytons, went under a year ago

Sunterra is probably one of the most likely places to find it

they actually use pigs to snif (and dig) out truffles

My Ride

I read that they use dogs instead because dogs will more readily trade their find for a treat and a pat; whereas pigs tend to devour anything and everything.

but pigs find things faster
    it just takes more effort to restrain the piggy

My Ride
    BMW E46/R6

so what exactly are truffles? I always thought of truffles to be some sort of cupcake like desert, but i get the sense that i'm wrong.

My Ride

They are a type of fungi that grow underground in close proximity to base of trees...google it up.

The documentary that I watched, they used dogs.... the dogs would receive a treat upon finding the truffles. From what people are saying on the thread, I'm guessing that they use both pigs and dogs.

My Ride
    Hybrid

The real question is, does it actually taste good? or is it one of those things people eat and "enjoy" just because it's rare and expensive?

It certainly doesn't sound too appetizing.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

Umm... it depends how you cook it and what it's with. I'm enjoyed as well as disliked truffle dishes.
    On the other hand, I find fois gras and caviar disgusting always ha ha ha other ppl love it. *shudder*

Default Re: Truffles

Fresh truffles are extremely hard to get a hold of. Black and white truffle both have different seasons, so you'll have to plan around that.

I cook with truffle oil, which you can get a really good tube of for about $100 cdn, which should last you a year at least. Truffle oil is indistinguishable (at least for me) from the real thing, and is way less expensive.

I haven't ever bought any in Calgary, but I'd recommend looking at small Italian groceries or other premium grocery stores. I can help you source some from California if you'd like.

Originally posted by Kamen
    Where can one buy truffles and approx how much are they?
    I know they cost big bucks, but I'm curious as to how they taste...seems like they can make almost any dish 'high quality'...or so it seems on Iron Chef

My Ride

Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel
    I'm enjoyed as well as disliked truffle dishes.
    You are are you? So does that make you a tasty dish or a disliked dish?
    hehe jks

Hmm..curious to knowthe flavour...but probably ntohing I can afford in the near future...this month I'm in student poverty mode...

My Ride
    2011 Subaru Impreza

oh wut, I always thought truffles were like, chocolate you get at Purdy's. hahahaha...

all this trouble for a mushroom. *sigh* my girlfriend would hate this stuff (mushrooms).

but on a side note, I like escargot (snails!) hahaha

I dont like raw foods like sushi! california rolls is as far as I go!

oops, typo
    ha ha ha

as for chocolate truffles.. they do exist as well..
    he he he
    so there's mushroom truffles and chocolate truffles..

-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast