Quantcast
architecture? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: architecture?

My Ride
    EvoX, R6

Default architecture?

just wondering, how is the job market for architectures fresh out of school?
    does anyone know?

My Ride
    Dakota

I'm an architechtual Tech, there is demand for architects as well as tchnologists all over Calgary right now, the market is booming

My Ride
    2002 Honda Civic LX

I am also an Architectural Tech. there is a huge market for this right now. Also it depends on what you want to do, I am in the housing side of things and there is lots there and can only imagine how many positions there are in the commercial side of things. I took the course at SAIT, and there is so much opprotunity from this, also you can go the university route, but this is more if you want to be in the commercial side.

pm me if you want to ask anymore questions.

peace
    Steve

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

I was thinking of going in to that program at SAIT, but I always wanted to know, what architectural "techs' do? do they do any of the actual design work themselves?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

I just graduated from the arch tech program at sait and its alright i guess.... i had a job lined up before i was even done school and it seems that everyone that was looking for a job got one.

And as a tech.... you dont really get into the design side.... the "architect" tells you what to draw basicly. This however, is only most of the time.... Steve here scored a sweet design job, lucky bastard

My Ride
    2002 Honda Civic LX

Originally posted by Hash_man
    I was thinking of going in to that program at SAIT, but I always wanted to know, what architectural "techs' do? do they do any of the actual design work themselves?

At my work the boss meets with the home owner and sketches out an idea of what they want to floor plan to look like, then I get the sketches and make the floor plans work. So I get to have a bit of say in what should happen because the sketches someitmes do not work. As for the exterior of the house I usually get to come up with the initial idea and go with it, if the home owner doesnt like it then the boss steps in and says lets go another way. So ya I do get to have alot of design influence in what happens but it really depends on where you are working.

Steve

My Ride
    1999 nike

i deal with architect's and i think that there is only a small % that really know what they are doing, i think that a lot of them B/S there way threw .

the worst one is the head guy for TARJAN group that guy is so stupid its funny.

and another one i will even name his name K.Deller
    another moron!

but hey i'm just the guy that reads the plans and builds the homes( custom homes)

a good arhitect is worth there wieght in gold thow
    I don't own a car i just rent one on my days off and send the bill to my boss. hahaha

My Ride
    A beater.

Is the course generally hard (ie lots of mathemetics or whatever)? I have been thinking about getting into something like that because I have had absolutely no luck finding a job in the autobody field (I guess they don't want to hire a measly first year apprentice or the industry is really that slow.) I would hate to have taken the course then have a hard time finding a job again, as I took the autobody course at sait with no frickin luck. Grr.

My Ride
    2002 Honda Civic LX

I guess it really depends on what you consider hard math. You do take a few structures classes that deal with loads on buildings, that involves some pretty difficult calculations. But generally speaking the math involved is pretty basic, basically if you can add feet and inches you are pretty good.

Steve

My Ride
    A beater.

Ok, what kind of classes did you have under your belt when you applied?

I only have math 30 applied and as for science, I only took bio 30, my grades are okay, I would upgrade if I need to. Would it be better if I took something else like chem/physics or upgraded to math 30 pure? Yeah, I can add feet and inches all right

My Ride
    2002 Honda Civic LX

I had graduated before that pure and applied crap came along, so I had graduated with Math 30, Physics 30, Chem 30, with average to good grades, your best bet would be to grab a SAIT calender and find out what there requirements are for the course as of right now. I mean I started the course 4 years ago. It is a hard course to get into because there are so many people that apply, what I found as I watched people trying to get in was that if the first time you apply you get turned down, take the Pre Careers course that SAIT offers, basically it is upgrading, after that everyone that had applied before ended up getting in. SAIT looks good apon that course cause it shows that you really want to get into the course, plus while taking Pre Careers you cna knock off some of the classes that you would have to take during the cours. I personally didnt have to take Pre Careers but I had a few buddies who had to take it.

steve

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

Where do you all work?

My Ride
    2011 Subaru Impreza

Im an Architectural Admin for a local condominium developer. We get all the basic plans and design from our architect, and I take those plans and modify them for our use.

I get to sit and do a one on one with the customer to see what his requirements are for his unit and what materials he'd like to use, or designs he wants with the materials used in his unit yada yada.. but the only thing is, I gotta do the price out too.. like figure out how much everything cost, and add an overhead on it and stuff like that. In many cases, I design them a custom unit, and do a site walkthrough with the guy before we build it.

One of the weirdest things I've seen yet is some dude wanted to build a shower big enough for him and his wife to shower in.. and they were a pretty big couple, so the shower was rather big.. hahaha

I too took the AT course at Sait, graduated in 2002. Pretty easy classes as long as you stay on top of things.. the only teachers I didnt like was MrHead and Mr.Mombray

My Ride
    2002 Honda Civic LX

I work for Knightsbridge Homes. Check out our website: www.knightsbridgehomes.com. We build some really nice houses.

My Ride
    EvoX, R6

Default shiet...

where can u find lots where u can build houses like those on ur site?
    how much does it cost?

My Ride
    2002 Honda Civic LX

Personally our company has lots in Elbow Valley and Sterling Springs at the moment. It is pretty hard to find lots that you can build custom houses on and when you do they are very expensive, as far as I know our lots run anywhere from $125 000 up to having some lots in Elbow Valley for about
    $400 000. Then for our company our houses usually come in around $600 000 and up depending on what you want to do.

My Ride
    A beater.

Oh yeah, I've seen those houses, they're fucking huge and really nice. I think a house had its own moat, and had a bridge over it to get to the front door. Very nice!

My Ride
    EvoX, R6

thats krayzy!!!

My Ride
    1999 nike

this is who we work for
    http://www.maillothomes.com/

thats the average size house but we do some big and some small

have u ever heard of a guy named Robert Sartur? ceo of forzani group
    we built his house between calgay and okotoks can u say cha ching?
    $15,000.00 front door
    over $80,000 for the windows triple pain(in the ass)
    walk out basement on a flat lot........cha ching

My Ride
    S/C 03 eclipse, 00 accord, 96 shadow, 06 TJ Sport

I work abugov kaspar architecture, as Architectural Tech.
    www.abugovkaspar.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast