Quantcast
Computer Programming in C++ - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Computer Programming in C++

My Ride
    Jetta

Default Computer Programming in C++

Hey i'm just wondering if anyone can help me out here, how much good would a diploma in C++ do me?? is it a good start?

What kind of jobs can i get with it, salary?

tks

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

This isn't much help, but I have lots of friends with Comp Sci degrees from various universities, and they are having a tough time finding work of any kind in their field. The ones that did get jobs are getting paid mid to high 30's.

My Ride
    2016 VW MK7 R ORYX DSG TECH

Default Re: Computer Programming in C++

Originally posted by Merkur
    Hey i'm just wondering if anyone can help me out here, how much good would a diploma in C++ do me?? is it a good start?

What kind of jobs can i get with it, salary?

tks
    I'm not quite sure what you mean ... "getting a diploma in C++"

I don't know anywhere that gives out a diploma for knowing C++

Considering the market is rather saturated right now ... you have to be quite good to get a decent job.

Just knowing the programming language isn't gonna do you any good. There are tons of knowledge that goes into being a good programmer.

I'd suggest you go to University
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    FKA Silver_SpecV

My Ride
    Civic

^ agreed...... i don't think there is a specific diploma for C++, by industry requirements its more like 5 different languages u learn from one diploma! hahaha..... good luck

My Ride
    95 TSi AWD, 05 300C

Speaking as an employer who is currently looking to fill ~15 C++ positions let me tell you that education won't get you a damn thing in this field. It means absolutly dick all. The only thing that will get you a good wage in this field is loving to program. If you code in your spare time because you enjoy it, and you can't help but think about a problem until you solve it, then there may be a place for you....otherwise I'd suggest you do something else. There are soooo many people out there with diplomas and whatnot that just got into it because they heard the pay was good, and wanted to cash in. Nobody wants to hire these people because all they know is what was in the text book, and that is seriously not anywhere near good enough.
    However, if you are the ideal computer-geek-programmer, your biggest challenge will be getting your first job. It is very hard for employers to tell the difference between the good ones and the bad ones, especially because (as a general rule) the good coders aren't exactly people-persons, if you know what I mean. Once you get your first job, the salary will probably be around $35k or so, but if you're good at what you do you can hit $70k-$80k fairly quickly...with a maximum of around $130k for a C++ god. This is of course assuming your company doesn't suck...there are lots of jobs out there for people that are good at it.

My Ride
    2016 VW MK7 R ORYX DSG TECH

Yep, I'm just finishing up my cpsc degree and I know TONS of ppl who are extremely incompetent. They call themselves computer scientists but yet they can't program worth shit.
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    FKA Silver_SpecV

My Ride
    95 TSi AWD, 05 300C

In an effort to cut down on the number of PM's I've been getting about jobs. The company is http://www.replicon.com ....there is a listing on the careers page for developers but I don't think it has been updated yet. I believe the requirements are basically the same except probably not as much database skill is required.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I'll be posting up a description, requirement, for the programmer roles shortly in the Careers section. redec will be in charge of weeding out the geeks with cheetos stained fingers vs your typical u of c grad .
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Hey I have a friend that had an Internship job at Replicon just this last year. From what he told me it definitely sounds coding intensive, but I don't think he was doing C++, I believe he said Python.

Either way I agree, there are companies out there that are looking for good programmers, but unless the job description is an authentic "Coding Monkey" position you'll require interpersonal skills. I'm very surprised by how many University grads possess little to none. Personally I couldn't work in any job, programming or not, that doesn't require great interpersonal skills.

My Ride
    95 TSi AWD, 05 300C

Originally posted by Orbie
    Hey I have a friend that had an Internship job at Replicon just this last year. From what he told me it definitely sounds coding intensive, but I don't think he was doing C++, I believe he said Python.
    Albert?...he was doing C++....we don't do any python here...I believe Albert was the only intern we had in development last year....might be forgetting someone tho....