Quantcast
ca18det vs sr20det - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ca18det vs sr20det

Default ca18det vs sr20det

which one has best bang for the buck? have the money for one of them.its just that i don't know which one to get by sr20det i mean the redtop s13 one on the s14 or s15.and does anybody know any good places to get these motors purchased/installed? in calgary or edmonton
    (o*>__<)o

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Go SR20, call JDM Source

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

JDM Source just supplies the engine...for a redtop he quoted me at $2400 with everything...

For install he refers u to Autodream and I think install is around $1100
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go &quot;uh huh...&quot; Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    02 Nissan Xterra S/C

Definately SR20 Redtop, CA18 has little qwerks that can cause you a headache.
    Originally posted by rice_eater
    kompressor means vtec dummy it's just different terms between german and japanese, but it's the same idea

My Ride
    S13

Both are good choices, but I have talked to a lot of people who have needed to rebuild there CA's shortly after having them installed. I hear a lot of the turbos are crap and the stock intercooler is the same. A CA will be good if you are on a budget now, but may cost you more in the long run. If you really want a CA powered car though I would import one from Import Concern. You can get them for around the same price an SR swap will cost you.

My Ride
    Lifted 4.0L H.O.

A few meets back i remember a fellow member talking about doing the swap in favor of the CA18det set up. I cant recall his exact reasoning. I think he said it was lighter or revs higher. He got his motor from jdm source or custom auto. If he sees this post you might manage to get some info from him about it. I think he was more than satisfied with his swap and ended up saving some cash. On the plus side he got a good bargain as his motor came with a larger than stock turbo.
    Rev high, ride low.

hey jdm sounds good and so does renewed import.this is great you guys a freaking helpful....on another note..do you know where i can get my hands on any s13,s14,or preferably s15 front conversion?
    Last edited by p0y; 05-10-2004 at 09:33 AM.
    (o*>__<)o

My Ride
    rsx-s

Originally posted by p0y
    hey jdm sounds good and so does renewed import.but at jdm wat is the difference between a sr20det bluebird and a regurlar s13 red top??
    bluebird redtops are for front wheel drive vehicles in japan.

My Ride
    rsx-s

Originally posted by p0y
    hey jdm sounds good and so does renewed import.this is great you guys a freaking helpful....on another note..do you know where i can get my hands on any s13,s14,or preferably s15 front conversion?
    pm chukilabs

i went to the site and the estimate there is a kit but its for 2999 and i found one at extreme dimensions for 1099, but i hear some pretty bad things about extreme like their kits don't really fit that well..is this true?
    (o*>__<)o

My Ride
    S13

I love my pop ups. get a nice front bumper and save yourself a lot of money that can go into your engine.

Originally posted by DeathBy240
    I love my pop ups. get a nice front bumper and save yourself a lot of money that can go into your engine.
    true,but i want to go with something that someone in edmonton doesn't have..or at least and s13.4...thats awesome!
    (o*>__<)o

My Ride
    S13

Its also a lot of work, these fenders dont just bolt on remember. If you are in Edmonton you should check our n-e-c-c.com .

My Ride
    purple people eater

The CA18DET is used for straight-line racing in Japan, so I've been told, because it weighs a lot more then a SR20.

thats because it's an iron block engine, the sr isnt... they still dont weigh in THAT different.

you'll never find aftermarket support for a CA18det over here... the SR is way more popular, thus more support.

some things to consider.
    http://www.nissanforums.com/showthre...4&page=3&pp=15

In Japan, both the 180 and the sylvia had the CA18 which was later replaced by the SR20! Nissan got broke and it shows. Could no longer afford to produce the CA and RB engines, so to cut costs they did away with the rather expensive CA, but kept the RB around. They introduced the SR with bigger displacement, bigger stroke, alloy block instead of cast iron, very cheaply designed head (and it shows) and a slightly better turbo which ultimately equates in the difference in power between the two.

People look at the power differences and displacement differences, but fail to look at the big picture and that is that when they break and they will, which one is going to more expensive or a pain in the ass to repair. The KA24 is a pain in the ass with it's always failing oil pump. The SR's oil pump has a tendency to be weak as well resulting major damage. Both engines were prduced in the same era at a time when Nissan's pocket book was depleted hence the quality of the parts suffered as well. Timing chains were used on both the KA and SR whereas the CA used a belt which is reliable and very easy and inexpensive to change.

CA18DET=175hp, SR20DET=205 and the KA24DE=155hp! For the quality and compared to SR20DET, I'll happily take the 30hp difference because with the money I'll be saving by buying the CA, I'll make up the difference easily with upgrades (Oooops, already did that ). All of them have their advantages and disadvantages just depends on what you want. Street power, take the SR20DET. Torquey street power, take the KA24DE and boost it and for the ultimate in high revvin, highway cruising, top end loving adventures, the venerable CA gives you the real racing engine sound and feel as well as performance

My Ride
    2005 S50

Originally posted by method
    thats because it's an iron block engine, the sr isnt... they still dont weigh in THAT different.

you'll never find aftermarket support for a CA18det over here... the SR is way more popular, thus more support.
    Yes Bang for buck the SR20 is better, But There is plenty of aftermarket support for the Ca18 in North America, You just have to know where to look. Trust me I'm sticking with my Ca18, and i've already found plenty of part's. Of coarse the Sr still has WAY more.

My Ride
    1993 Nissan 240sx

Mike09's got a point,
    My personally opinion is that if you imported your car stick with the CA. But if you got say a 240, and your deciding whether or not to go with an SR, KA, or CA. Go with the SR. Easy, relatively cheap, and super easy to

My Ride
    Whiney '02 WRX

Keep in mind when purchasing the engine you are buying it without an intercooler, and potentially without a wiring harness. Autodream sells the Greddy Intercooler kit for $1300, I think. The side mount (I have one) goes for closer to 600. Thats if you buy new of course. Good luck with the project...

Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz
    Keep in mind when purchasing the engine you are buying it without an intercooler, and potentially without a wiring harness. Autodream sells the Greddy Intercooler kit for $1300, I think. The side mount (I have one) goes for closer to 600. Thats if you buy new of course. Good luck with the project...
    oh yea..shit thats rite..well that holds off the front conversion thing for a while... unless i can get my brother to help chip in.
    (o*>__<)o

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast