Quantcast
ca18det vs sr20det - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ca18det vs sr20det

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz
    Keep in mind when purchasing the engine you are buying it without an intercooler, and potentially without a wiring harness. Autodream sells the Greddy Intercooler kit for $1300, I think. The side mount (I have one) goes for closer to 600. Thats if you buy new of course. Good luck with the project...
    1300 for an intercooler?????

damn, that is pricey.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Whiney '02 WRX

Intercooler KIT. All the tubing (Polished aluminum ), the things that go between the tubes, and the intercooler. Not bad if you're going bling, but if you don't care you can probably buy a spearco for cheaper and do the tubing yourself...

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

what size intercooler?
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Intercooler KIT. All the tubing (Polished aluminum ), the things that go between the tubes, and the intercooler. Not bad if you're going bling, but if you don't care you can probably buy a spearco for cheaper and do the tubing yourself...
    or you could order the greddy kit off the net for $700 US from pretty much any online retailer and maybe save a couple hundred after all is said and done.

is totaljdm a good place to get the engine or should i still strongly conisder jdmsource?
    (o*>__<)o

My Ride
    1999 Porsche 911 Carrera, BMW 530xiM, Acura MDX

sr20

My Ride
    Stock 240sx fastback SE

Originally posted by p0y
    is totaljdm a good place to get the engine or should i still strongly conisder jdmsource?
    Jdmsourse, totaljdm gets there motors from jdmsource.

My Ride
    Stock 240sx fastback SE

Id go with in order Ka24det, sr20det, ka24de then ca18det.

allright, i came across this googling some stuff on the CA18DET, and just wanted to add some thoughts...

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub.net/fo...threadid=79190

That is the thread that I started, as you can see I was thinking SR20DET, but now I'm going for the CA18DET... if you don't wanna read through all that, just check out this link:

http://www.geocities.com/speedworx4/tech/s13/cavssr.htm

Allright, I just subscribed to say that. I know this is a few months old but just wanted to get the info out there to some people. KA24DE-T would yield more HP over the SR, but its a truck motor... softer internals = more blown valves.

EDIT: sorry had to edit the second link in, accidentally pasted the first one again

I never understood why so many import owners need to spend so much on thier intercoolers. You can scrounge for ones that cost you much less than ordering some "bling" one.

Anyway, SR is simply a better motor. The CA does have a couple advantages though which seem to suit some people better, people who like to hike boost up real high, drag race and snap lots of timing belts Other than that, the only real advantages are uniqueness and lower initial cost.
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

My Ride
    KTM

Originally posted by BumpinTalon
    The CA18DET is used for straight-line racing in Japan, so I've been told, because it weighs a lot more then a SR20.
    Almost positive the CA18DET is about 30 pounds lighter. I was seriously considering CA18DET but getting a good motor is hard to find. So SR it is.

And yes some one on this forum has completed the CA swap into a S13, can remember his user name.

My Ride
    Whiney '02 WRX

I believe Lorenzo did...

My Ride
    2 RWD Turbo Cars

Originally posted by SwitchBlade
    A few meets back i remember a fellow member talking about doing the swap in favor of the CA18det set up. I cant recall his exact reasoning. I think he said it was lighter or revs higher. He got his motor from jdm source or custom auto. If he sees this post you might manage to get some info from him about it. I think he was more than satisfied with his swap and ended up saving some cash. On the plus side he got a good bargain as his motor came with a larger than stock turbo.
    Ya, thats my buddy Laurier (lorenzo), his motor pulls hard, but with the CA18DET, it has its little annoying problems. Right now the car is parked because his oil lines came loose, and his gasket for his turbo went. The motor did pull hard with the t28 turbo but it was only at 7 or 8 psi.

My Ride
    93 Toyota Pickup

Like the other thread I just posted at, my preference leans towards the CA18 ...

For a few reasons in smiley-faced bullet points...

(cuz this ones red..) The Ca18 is cheaper...

With the money you save you can upgrade the turbo, strengthen internals for more boost, and such

SR20 has such a freaky following, everyones all "OMG SR20!!" but because the engine is so expensive (it is..look around..) parts could (havnt fully checked?) be way more expensive.

Yea the SR20 has more aftermarket support, and it's easier to get more parts for, but since when has lack of alot of aftermarket support stopped people ... ?

CA18 is iron, right? SR20 is alloy..also right? Aluminum Alloy? So..Alloy engines generally don't last as long as iron, also right? KA24's can get 300,000 km (..services and such too..small fixes // oil pump etc.) SR20's tend to start biting it at 200 (driven hard, you know you would, too..) to 250 (driven less hard, after you've blown an SR..)

you can be ricier with a CA18, get 180sx badges and say your 240sx has a 1.8 180sx engine, thus, the "180" in the car's name.. with the SR you can just rename it "200sx" (we all know renaming cars is just SOOO cool..right?) but theres already 200sx's in canada .. (pretty sure..? unless people just renamed them on a bunch of sites I've visited..coincidence..?)

SR's can take more power with less modification, true, but why do you need 500hp when you're driving too and from your buddies house to go play X-Box.. or to work..

I'm running a CA20 and it's not terribly good, N/A style, but it's lasted 270,000 so far and all It's had was some headwork and an oil pump change, plus services.. so IMO CA is the way to go.. SR is too popular, be...sort've...unique..

Or go FJ20
    Originally posted by Grogador
    Shoulda threw in a &quot;no homo&quot; somewhere... cuz... yeah...
    Originally posted by turbotrip
    seems like a recipe for rape
    toexistphoto.com

My Ride
    93 Toyota Pickup

Keep in mind when purchasing the engine you are buying it without an intercooler,
    You can go to the wreckers to find things like that, or E-bay.

Theres everything on E-bay...even....even people..
    toexistphoto.com

My Ride
    93 Toyota Pickup

Oh and you said something about S13/4/5 front end conversion, why not do an east bear type thing, http://www.veilside.com/veilsideusa/...0ciiifront.jpg as shown on this sexy Veilside 'SX .. If you have something against the pop-up-ness of your lights get these, silvia S13/4/5 front ends are getting popular (even if they look sexy, this is still cute and different !) its not common at all..
    toexistphoto.com

My Ride
    02 Nissan Xterra S/C

Nissan had a huge problem with the CA line of motors, especially with blowing head gaskets. The head has a tendancy to "float" at high RPM, causing fluid loss, overheating, warping of head, and sometimes physical damage to the headgasket. You can correct this problem by removing the head and getting your local machinist to machine and "ring" the block (place copper inserts on the deck to help the head seal properly with the block).

My SR20 is the best motor i have ever had, i am extremely happy with it in every regard. I highly recommend the SR20 swap to anyone debating about which motor to use.

Also, i have a Spearco intercooler and piping for sale. PM me if interested.

Cheers!!
    Originally posted by rice_eater
    kompressor means vtec dummy it's just different terms between german and japanese, but it's the same idea

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2