Quantcast
How To Stop Gas Prices From Rising - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: How To Stop Gas Prices From Rising

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

Thumbs up How To Stop Gas Prices From Rising

This is a good way to stop gas prices, please spread it!

http://members.rogers.com/ali_fayad/

My Ride
    2018 Ford F150 SCREW

won't work

My Ride
    pedals

the only way to stop rising gas prices is to stop rising oil prices.
    the only way to stop rising oil prices is to stop the growth of oil consumption in china. china is quickly becomming the largest importer of oil in the world (behind the US, for now). 10 years ago they were a net exporter of oil, now they are a net importer. The growth in demand for petrochemicals in china seems almost limitless

My Ride
    07 TL Type S

I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am...
    My Ride
    That Blue Car

That guy is the most horrible news column writer I have ever read... the guy should be writing books, not news... that was a pathetic article!

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by hjr
    the only way to stop rising gas prices is to stop rising oil prices.
    the only way to stop rising oil prices is to stop the growth of oil consumption in china. china is quickly becomming the largest importer of oil in the world (behind the US, for now). 10 years ago they were a net exporter of oil, now they are a net importer. The growth in demand for petrochemicals in china seems almost limitless
    the gas prices in china is a tiny fraction of what we pay here. most of the cost of gas is from government taxes.

My Ride
    Bowling shoes

Default Re: How To Stop Gas Prices From Rising

Originally posted by Porsche_944

This is nothing but a bad spam and a lot of false information.

I particularly like the:

For the remaining of the year, DON'T purchase gas from the 2 biggest gas companies (who are now one): PETRO CANADA and SHELL.
    Petro and Shell are not one company they are seperate companies for that fact they are Canadian companies. And Esso (aka Imperial part of Exxon Mobil) is by far a larger oil company then Petro or Shell in North America.

And as others have mentioned, want to change gas prices, find a way to change oil prices (get rid of OPEC???) or find a way for the government to reduce the taxes on gas. (Which the government has already said no). Oh and believe it or not higher gas prices actually helps the Alberta economy

My Ride
    pedals

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    the gas prices in china is a tiny fraction of what we pay here. most of the cost of gas is from government taxes.
    thats not really the point. the taxes arnt going to dissapear, im talking base crude oil price.

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

meh, i just found the site of another forum thought i would post it, obviously it wont work but meh

My Ride
    07 TL Type S

Originally posted by Gonthro

That guy is the most horrible news column writer I have ever read... the guy should be writing books, not news... that was a pathetic article!
    I agree. He is a horrible writer and terribly biased, but I do feel he has a point in his article this time. Oil and gas is what fuels the economy in Calgary.

The rising gas prices are somewhat a good thing. Makes drivers consider how they drive, and if they need to drive. Maybe consider alternate forms of transportation. Now this may seem very dumb posting this here on Beyond, but the benefits are shown! Cleaner air for the enviroment, less cars on the road. We have to be more considerate on how we are using our vehicles!

My Ride
    Bicycle

Default Re: How To Stop Gas Prices From Rising

Originally posted by Porsche_944

That's 1 misinformed east-coaster.

This will never work in a million years, why?

#1 - gas is gas, it's only produced by 3 major producers a few minor ones. Then each brand add it their own additive. Doesn't matter if you buy from Fast Gas or Esso, you money will end up in Shell, Exxon or Petro Can's pocket anyway.

#2 - nobody is gonna be go out of their way for gas. I used to be Esso only guy but ever since I moved, there isn't 1 Esso on my usual routes. So I don't go to Esso any more and switch to Superstore (7.5 cent grocery money is good too)

#3 - Gas retail is already pretty close to be money losing business. Margin is razor sharp thin. Competiton from Superstore, Co-op, Saveway, Wal-mart and Cdn tire is killing the independents because independents cannot afford another 4 cents off the price like the big guys do. And the 4 cents that the big guys gives out is coupon which will end up in their pocket later on anyway. Just look around you and see how many gas stations are closing around you lately (especially Shell which is selling off stations to Cdn-tire and try to quit the retail business all together).

You want lower gas prices:

1. Peaceful middle east (not gonna happen for a while)
    2. more refineries (not gonna happen)
    3. Everyone drives echo or take public transit. (not gonna happen either)
    4. Tax car by engine size (<2L 1%, 2L-3L 5%, 3L-4L 7%, 4L-5L 10%, 5+L 15% etc) - Although the fuel tax is kinda doing this but it's not helping people to consider smaller cars until after the fact.

We just have way more demand than production capacity. When news stop coming out of Iraq, then prices will go down a bit. But the problems is still all those SUVs and Trucks.

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

Isnt it that most of the major gas companies...Shell, Esso, and Petro, all sell gas to some of the other companies, safeway, superstore etc... therefore even if you didnt buy gas at Shell, Esso and Petro, their still gettin money anyways?? not positive, but i thought thats hw it workd

My Ride
    pedals

the thing that pisses me off is that gas in ontario (typically a hihg gas price province) is less than 1 cent more than us in edmonton. im looking at 88.5 for regular today. WTF? Ontario was 89.4. Edmonton sits on the godamn pipeline and has the refinery's in the city...WTF

My Ride
    Bowling shoes

Originally posted by ryder_23
    Isnt it that most of the major gas companies...Shell, Esso, and Petro, all sell gas to some of the other companies, safeway, superstore etc... therefore even if you didnt buy gas at Shell, Esso and Petro, their still gettin money anyways?? not positive, but i thought thats hw it workd
    People just like to pick on Shell, Esso, Petro and all the other gasoline retailers only because that is what people see day to day. Even Petro, Esso, and Shell purchase much of their crude products off the market. While they do do some exploration themselves they are small compared to many other energy companies in the actual extraction of the oil.

Originally posted by hjr
    the thing that pisses me off is that gas in ontario (typically a hihg gas price province) is less than 1 cent more than us in edmonton. im looking at 88.5 for regular today. WTF? Ontario was 89.4. Edmonton sits on the godamn pipeline and has the refinery's in the city...WTF
    Well aside from OPEC... Just because Enbridge is based in Edmonton and there are many refineries there, there are still numerous costs and majority of the costs even before the oil hits the refineries, for that matter even before it hits the pipe.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by hjr
    Being close to refineries only save money on logistics/transportation which is a very small portion.

Prices is still largely dictated by the free market. Supply and demand.

For example, if I can get sell the same gas at 5 cents more in Calgary, all gas trucks will be diverted there until Edmonton stations match the price increase. The world operates on the same principle but on a bigger scale.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by hjr
    thats not really the point. the taxes arnt going to dissapear, im talking base crude oil price.
    well the base price isnt going to drop anytime soon either, so what is your argument?

My Ride
    pedals

that is the point. oil prices are going to keep on rising,

My Ride
    Impreza

Originally posted by hjr
    that is the point. oil prices are going to keep on rising,

i'd wager that 10 to 15 cents of the cost of gas is directly related to geopolitical mood.

so yeah, it could keep rising.

shit, i fueled up at the sh3ll in vancouver on davie and burrard last august and paid 96.9 for premium.