Quantcast
Limited Slip Diff - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Limited Slip Diff

My Ride
    335i

Default Limited Slip Diff

Got a cool deal on an LSD for my ride, wondering if its worth the $250 to get one? Is the acceleration noticable? Does it help in winter on ice? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    a wrx.

definitely go for it! an lsd on a fwd will get rid of a lot of understeer! it will help a bit in the winter too.

My Ride
    335i

Think its a good deal too?

Define understeer please, and how this will help.

Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    RX-7/92 toyota pickup

Understeer is when you are cornering hard and your car wants to go more strait instead of keeping tight on the corner like you want it to. The lsd will not let your inside front tire spin if you are cornering really hard and get on the throttle.

I'd say definetly go for it, but don't forget the cost of getting it installed too.

My Ride
    335i

Cost of installation isn't that big of a deal - my friend and I will tear it apart and install it. I've read a bit about installation and its not hard to do.

Felon or Mistermeiner

250 bucks seem really cheap

I just tested mine last week on an icy ramp.

Came to a stop and accelerated quickly, those helical gears whine like a bitch! But a few seconds later I was moving...don't know how it would have been without the diff..but it is good to have.

Is it used? and what kind of diff?

My Ride
    4cyl turbo diesel with a max speed of 10.9kmh

take it...u will feel the biggest difference...i used to have a jimmy without a locking diff...that thing would spin if u breathed on the pedal..now my new one has one...very hard to do a burnout...great on ice

CONCRETE PATIO SPECIAL, PM ME FOR DETAILS!

My Ride
    a wrx.

heh and u will also have insane launches with an lsd

My Ride
    335i

So launches will greatly improve? I always have a problem with too much wheelspin, especially when it gets really cold, and i'm hoping this will help.

How do these things work? Do they always launch using two wheels, or does it "sense" that one is spinning and apply the second? If it "senses", then wouldn't a person get some wheelspin anyways? Or does it do it instantaneously.

Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    93 Prelude SR-V

I've heard with some of the guys who put in Qualife (sp?) LSD trannys into their ludes, and didn't notice any difference in their times other than they could drop the clutch from a higher RPM without getting as much wheelspin.... ALL tho it did result in a faster 1/4 mile, due to the fact they can drop in from a higher rpm...

Other than that they said if they dropped from say 3000 with both their lsd and normal tranny it was the same.

I dunno I could search for more definate info but im lazy...

Im probably just reading through peoples bs, so please correct me if im way off here.

uh... where and what kind of LSD are you finding for $250? Last time I checked they were around $1000+

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by buh_buh
    uh... where and what kind of LSD are you finding for $250? Last time I checked they were around $1000+

Sometimes, if you look hard enough, and are lucky, you will find good deals.

Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

so what kind is it?

It depends on the type of LSD as to the results for launching and cornering. Some are more aggressive then others.

I hope it is not a phatom grip.... those things suck ass...

My Ride
    07 E92 335i

Weapon_R,
    Don't even question the fact of NOT having an LSD. All Type R's come with them stock and let me tell you, you can pull hard as hell into a corner and not have to worry about it.
    Also, at the track I was launching between 6500 and 7000 rpm.
    I had some wheel hop, but significantly less than a car without an LSD.
    Also if you ever saw XES at the track without his you would have seen why you NEED one.

For $250 buy it, but make sure it's reliable. You do not want to put the thing in and have it shatter on you the next day.

My 2 cents.

VC
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

From what I've heard, LSD can be sketchy in winter. It will help out with launches, but around corners, it can be detrimental to handling. Think about it, in a RWD when your rear end starts to shoot out and you drift, its easy to correct with an open diff. Only one wheel is spinning, the other one resists the drift so your rear end doesn't fly out, the one spinning has little "lateral" grip with the road. Now on a LSD, if both tires are spinning, you lose lateral grip and the rear end shoots out quick. I guess if you really know what you're doing, you can correct easily with either, but not to many ppl are pro drivers
    I don't know about FWD, it seems once you lose traction on your front wheels, you wouldn't hit the trottle cause if you do there's even less of a chance to correct and regain control. If you did hit the trottle though with LSD, i'd imagine you'd slide right off the road faster due to heavy understeer w/ no traction, at least the outside wheel might have a chance of pulling you around with an open diff once you've slowed the car enough. Not much experience with front drive yet so I'm not too sure.
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Ranger_X31
    I don't know about FWD, it seems once you lose traction on your front wheels, you wouldn't hit the trottle cause if you do there's even less of a chance to correct and regain control. If you did hit the trottle though with LSD, i'd imagine you'd slide right off the road faster due to heavy understeer w/ no traction, at least the outside wheel might have a chance of pulling you around with an open diff once you've slowed the car enough. Not much experience with front drive yet so I'm not too sure.
    actually, its the opposite of what u said.

on a fwd, u normally encounter understeer on low traction surfaces. with an open differential, the engines power is sent to the with the least resistance, which in a corner would be the inside wheel, since there is the least force being applied on it. a spinning inside wheel wont turn the car.

an lsd will send the engines power to the outside wheel, which is what will turn the car.

Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
    actually, its the opposite of what u said.

on a fwd, u normally encounter understeer on low traction surfaces. with an open differential, the engines power is sent to the with the least resistance, which in a corner would be the inside wheel, since there is the least force being applied on it. a spinning inside wheel wont turn the car.

an lsd will send the engines power to the outside wheel, which is what will turn the car.
    I know that, what I'm saying is that in an open diff, both wheels are spinning, correct? if you're inexperienced and go WOT around a corner, a wheel spinning slides sideways easier than a wheel not spinning, so in an open diff, that outside wheel (which is not spinning) may slow you down enough to pull you safely out of the turn. Once again though, with a pro driver, the LSD will probably work as good if not better, cause they know when to lay on the trottle and pull out of the turn.
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Ranger_X31

I know that, what I'm saying is that in an open diff, both wheels are spinning, correct? if you're inexperienced and go WOT around a corner, a wheel spinning slides sideways easier than a wheel not spinning, so in an open diff, that outside wheel (which is not spinning) may slow you down enough to pull you safely out of the turn. Once again though, with a pro driver, the LSD will probably work as good if not better, cause they know when to lay on the trottle and pull out of the turn.
    nope. in an open diff, only the inside wheel will spin. an lsd will "lock" and make BOTH wheels spin.

and an un-powered outside wheel wont slow anything down a car only slows down when u put the brakes on

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by redline
    so what kind is it?

It depends on the type of LSD as to the results for launching and cornering. Some are more aggressive then others.

I hope it is not a phatom grip.... those things suck ass...
    I'll let you know when I go and check it out. I think its an aftermarket one, but an LSD nonetheless.

btw - what is a phatom grip? An LSD? Whats so bad about it? Isn't an lsd an lsd?

Felon or Mistermeiner

There was a favourable article about the phanton grip in a recent SCC (it was on a 200sx 1.6L)

I dont' think its an actual LSD, but mimics one. Not exactly sure.

There are different types of differentials (helical gears, viscous lsd (hlsd and vlsd respectively)).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast