Quantcast
Buying a used vehicle - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Buying a used vehicle

Question Buying a used vehicle

Soo... I'm thinking buying a used vehicle would be a possible option for me.

A new car would be great. However, getting a new car is a bit of a stretch for me. On the other hand, I do want the car to last a long time (10 years atleast). So... kinda stuck right now.

I know all the pros and cons of a new car (mainly that it's "your" car, you know the vehicle history and you pick what you want for it). I'm looking at the used option right now cuz I'm thinking I'd be able to save some major money, and after some slight mods and making sure all parts are repaired. So in this way, by modding, I could get the car that I want.

My main concern is inheriting someone else's problems. Most people sell their cars because they're having problems with them, right? So here's my question: What steps can I take to minimize buying a used car that will become a huge headache?

My Ride
    VW GTi

I bought my car used and have never been happier. People are often surprised that I am not the first owner.

Here are some suggestions I can make.

One, buy a car owned by a car enthusiast. Boards like this one are a good place to start. You know that people who love their car kept good care of it, had regular maintenance, and so forth.

Two, if you look for a car that is not very old, it will be less likely to have serious problems. Its easy to find cars that are less than a year old! You will save the big depreciation of a car driven off the lot. I have seen cars bought used with only 5,000 kms on them, this is basically like getting a new car but saving a ton of cash.

Three, buying from a private seller saves you money, especially tax. Usually you can get an aftermarket warranty or transfer the warranty if the car is not too old anyhow. Also, dealerships rip people off, and that is a fact.

Four, find out why the car is being sold. Often they are sold because someone is moving, and can't take the car. Or because they can no longer afford the car. Or because they are having kids and need a minivan. These are all AWESOME people to buy a car from, because they probably would rather keep the car but can't.

Fifth, be patient. Wait for the right car to come along, do not buy the first car you see. Know what you want, and wait for it!

Finally, drive the car before you buy it, because nothing tells you about a car like a drive.

Anyhow, thats the best advice I can give.

My Ride
    2001 Toyota Solara & 1995 Mustang GT

Also once you have found a car you are serious about, have it inspected by a mechanic, engine, and undercarriage. Take it by a bodyshop that you know and have them look the body over for any signs it has been in an accident. If repaired properly it should be very hard to tell. Remember if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

My Ride
    pedals

when buying a car, always take an unbiased friend or family member that you trust to help you make a proper decision. When buying a car, people tend to overlook WAY TOO MUCH because they are excited about the vehicle. You need someone there to find these issues so they dont appear within the first week, like has happened to so many of us.

My Ride
    KA-T S13

Originally posted by Kor

One, buy a car owned by a car enthusiast. Boards like this one are a good place to start. You know that people who love their car kept good care of it, had regular maintenance, and so forth.
    Of course this is not always true though. There are lots of car enthusiasts that absolutely bag their cars, or at least drive them very hard. I have found that a good thing to do is to go for a test drive as a passenger, while the owner drives it. This will give you an indication of how the car was driven. If the owner is trying to show off that the car is super fast and drives like a maniac, then maybe that car has had a little too much abuse, and is one you should stay away from. And of course you also need to drive the car yourself.

My Ride
    86 300ZX N/A

The biggest thing i think, and i aften need help with it is, always ask alot of questions...as much as u can...and dont be afriaid to...even the small stuff.......UUmmm....what i do is always find a car u like...and hten look it up on line...and see its specs and like what can happen for time..then put those questions towards the owner....timing belt, oil changes, breaks, knocking everything...

and pluse there is no such thing as a perfect car...everything is going to have problems...just got to find the one with the least..later

good luck man

how much u looking to spend anyways????
    http://www.americanroyalarts.com/library/sr1.jpg

Thanks everyone for the advice so far. It will be very helpful when I look for a car. I've bought used RC cars before, but that's a lot less money, and RC cars can take a TON of abuse :P
    So many more factors with a real car.

I'm actually looking at about 13k-17k CDN range and I'm looking at the Subaru Impreza. Don't know what I can get with that, but hoping to get something that will last me a long long time (as a permanent car + some mods).

I know everything will have problems Small minor problems are natural of course. I just wanna make sure I don't buy something with major problems like engine failures, tranny issues, etc.

bump.

Is it true that resale value of Imprezas are really high? (In BC)