Quantcast
Clearcoat Problem. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Clearcoat Problem.

My Ride
    Accord

Default Clearcoat Problem.

Ok just want to find out some prices and opinions from some of you more experienced guys.

well, the problem is, my car has a VERY bad clearcoat job on it, and its been flaking off since not long after I got it, well I'd like to know how much it would cost to get it fixed?, I could take the clearcoat of myself, I have a pressure washer that I've used and it takes it off good and leaves the paint just fine, so how much would it cost, to have someone take the clearcoat off and have a new one put on?, and how much to just put one on if I take the old clearcoat off?, oh and would somewhere like Maaco be good enough, I know there nothing great and you get what you pay for, but for a job like this would they be ok?, I just want my car back to looking normal, not some showcar.

Thanks in advance.

My Ride
    KA-T S13

Wow
    If you can take the clear off with a pressure washer, this is not a good sign. You would have to call around to get a quote to sand down the clear and get it redone. Don't try taking it off yourself with the pressure washer, because it will likely come off unevenly.

My Ride
    Accord

I know the pressure washer way ain't the greatest thing, but it has taken the clearcoat off evenly, the roof is nearly done, just a couple more patches, I'm pretty sure my car was resprayed at one point, and it was done BADLY, I think it only had one coat of clearcoat put on (dunno for sure, don't know much about paintjobs), its only a very thin layer coming off, and after it is off, its very dull, no shine at all, I am gonna phone around and get some prices, or I might end up sanding the car myself, I have a friend who will show me, and hes done his car before and it looks good, then I'll put about 5 layers of clearcoat on myself, just need to get somewhere clean to do it.

My Ride
    '92 Chevy C1500

The main reason that you have clearcoat peeling off is that someone put down the basecoat and then let it tack off WAY too long before putting the clearcoat on. That's the only reason it would be peeling like that. If, in some areas, the color comes off too...it would be an adhesion problem caused by someone not prepping and sanding it properly. It's a lot of work to refinish the clear coat on a car because you have to do everything that you would if you were repainting the whole vehicle. Removing all the trim and hardware, sanding, masking. The more you do yourself, the more you should save. If it were me I'd Remove all the trim myself and sand it all myself and leave the painting up to the professional. The dullness you see under your clearcoat is the base coat. I'll warn you now...sanding down the clearcoat is just begging for the basecoat to be sanded through to the primer. Be prepared to have to dust in the colorcoat in areas. The more work you do yourself the cheaper...that's life. If you need any tips on getting yourself set up ...PM me!! My guesstimate as to how much it would cost...depending on how much work you do yourself you could look at at least $1000 to do it properly. Unless you go to cheapo Maaco. And that is if you do most of the work yourself.

My Ride
    Accord

Thanks Mlander, I think I'm gonna try sanding the car, I have a friend that has done his and will help me abit, and hes got some equipment to but a new clearcoat on, so I'm prolly gonna try that route, I don't wanna shell out 1000 for this, so looks like I'll be doing it myself.

My Ride
    '92 Chevy C1500

Well I wish you luck...it's not the easiest job but I always think it's worth the experience doing it yourself. Just be prepared, like I mentioned, to have some basecoat(colorcoat) handy if/when you sand through the base. Even the pro's can do it once in a while. Who's gonna sray the clear? You're best off to get a pro painter and pay him cash once it's all prepped up. You can get away with sanding it with 400 grit to cut it quickly and then scuffing the final bit with 600 grit. Clear is the trickiest to paint, that's why I reccommend leaving it to the pro's. That's what I'm doing with my truck...I'm going to wet sand it and get my painter to re clear it and putting down black where it needs it.