Quantcast
Petro Canada gas -- Effect of additives on gas mileage - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Petro Canada gas -- Effect of additives on gas mileage

My Ride
    Hybrid

Question Petro Canada gas -- Effect of additives on gas mileage

The rising gas prices have got me wondering... with all of the additives that Petro Canada puts in their gas - "tactrol" (now 50% more), antifreeze, corrosion inhibitor - would it decrease gas mileage?

My thought would be that the more "other stuff" in your gas, the less gas there is and the less mileage you'll get.

I've never filled up anywhere but petro canada (petro-points), so does anyone have any experience with Petro canada mileage vs. other gas?

ecstasy_civic is offline MMA guru, but still rage2's bitch
    My Ride
    08 Si

Default Re: Petro Canada gas -- Effect of additives on gas mileage

Originally posted by Strider
    The rising gas prices have got me wondering... with all of the additives that Petro Canada puts in their gas - "tactrol" (now 50% more), antifreeze, corrosion inhibitor - would it decrease gas mileage?

My thought would be that the more "other stuff" in your gas, the less gas there is and the less mileage you'll get.

I've never filled up anywhere but petro canada (petro-points), so does anyone have any experience with Petro canada mileage vs. other gas?
    I only use petro as well, unless I have too, I use Esso.
    Just cause of the petro points as well lol.

But usually it seems alright, Esso goes alot faster and harder on the wallet

My Ride
    98 civic hatch

i doubt it, those additive contribute to only a very very small percentage of the actual amount of gas u recieve, all gas has additive just some companyies like to advertise it more...

Lurking in some bushes outside your house
    My Ride
    S14/D21

I used to use Petro Can all the time. A few months ago I switched to Shell to see if there was any difference. I was surprised...I got alot better mileage from the Shell gas.

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

You shouldn't really worry about the additives, the main benefit of the additives is they help keep the fuel system clean.

If there is one additive that you should avoid, its MMT - problem is, its legal in Canada, and even worse, gas companies do not have to make available whether or not they use MMT in their fuels. I know that Mohawk/Husky doesn't use MMT.

MMT artificially raises Octane and most "octane boosters" are a mix of denatured gasoline mixed with a high concentration of MMT. MMT however contains manganese which reacts with the metals in your catalytic converter - your catalytic converter should technically last a lifetime because everything inside it is a catalyst - as opposed to a consumable material. When MMT flows through the cat though, it converts the metals to salts/gases which eventually destroys the effectiveness of your cat.

If you don't care about the environment though, then even MMT shouldn't be much of a concern.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

I tried safeway's, centex, shell, esso, pretty much every company in the city (even though it's all pretty much the same), and Ifound petro canada gave me the best mileage. Not by a lot, but with prices this high, everything helps. I tried to keep my driving pretty constant between all the different brands, but I did see about a 5% increase in fuel economy from petro canada. Between that and the petro points, I'm sold.
    I think I can get about 15 cases of pepsi by now, lol.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

i find i get slightly better gas mileage on petro canada gas too. plus cheaper gas with the petro points card

the opposite for me. I find petro give me consistantly 50km less a tank.

Esso gives me the best mileage followed by shell.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Meh, I have no cat and I run rich. I know for a fact I get the worst milage on Mohawk 94, and the best on Shell 91. Not sure why.
    Travel

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I did some mileage tests a while ago, and found Shell to be the best, and Mohawk to be the worse.

The reason why Mohawk has such poor mileage is because of the ethanol blend. Assuming the same amount of fuel injected for the same amount of air, ethanol blended fuels will show up leaner on the O2 sensors. So in closed loop day to day driving, the ecu will automatically adjust by injecting more fuel for the same amount of air in the motor, thus worse fuel economy.

Also, with higher octane fuels, knock limits are higher (good for turbo or if u can turn up timing) but the actual energy content of the fuel is lower. Therefore, you'll be making less power assuming the ecu tune does not change. To maintain a certain cruising speed, you would need more throttle, more air, thus more fuel. This is also why a car designed for and works optimal on 87 octane fuels will see a decrease in mileage when using 91, 92, 94 octane fuel.

Not sure exactly what Shell puts in their fuel that helps fuel economy so much.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by rage2

Not sure exactly what Shell puts in their fuel that helps fuel economy so much.

Sorry, this is what I was wondering, I know why I get the worst on Mohawk, should have clarified that, howevere very usefull info for those who were unsure.

Moreover in regards to shell, I get better milage on their Premium 91 than the Bronze 87. I made the mistake of putting 87 in my car, and asside from it running like ass (felt like it was 40 degrees out and 100% humidity when driving after I put 87 in) it got about 50-60km less on a tank.
    Travel

My Ride
    Hybrid

Thanks guys....
    Looks like my next tank will be shell 91. Do they offer cents off at the pumps?

For everyone who's collecting petro points, I think they're offering double petro points for the next few months on premium to promote their new 50% more tactrol... Plus, if you get a superstore mastercard, you can get PC points which you can convert to Petro points (what i've been doing)...
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by Zero102
    Between that and the petro points, I'm sold.
    I think I can get about 15 cases of pepsi by now, lol.
    I'm saving my points for a free membership to the petro canada auto club... 40k points... which is hella easy with PC points on my mastercard... all I have to do is pay tuition, and I get enough points

Originally posted by Strider

I'm saving my points for a free membership to the petro canada auto club... 40k points...
    Wut is the Petro auto club?

My Ride
    996TT

I foudn esso to be the best. fgollowed by shell.

It's like AMA but it's run by petro-canada, shit like boosting your car and unlocking your doors. Pretty handy to have IMO

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I personally don't like using Petro Canada fuels, becuase their 91 octane has the lowest knock threashold of all premium fuels. Have to lower my boost settings!
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

i remember hearing something about shell's gasoline have less addictives and filters out a content of some sort(i think it relates to grease?) the best compared to other companies. and doesn't co-op use shell gas?

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

I only use Shell in all of my vehicles. Best gas I've ever run.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

A 16 year bump

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast