Quantcast
overclocking experiment - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: overclocking experiment

Default overclocking experiment

I have a amd 1800+ on a k7t266 msi mobo, i just installed a new volcano 9 cpu dropping temp of cpu to 36-38degrees celc.

ne ways, i wuz wondering how i can overlock it..i upeed the fsb to 140 it runs fine no problem, but as soon as i go over that it does'nt get to windows........at 140 the speed is 1611mhz from 1533mhz. Ne ways i've b'n doing some reading and heard that i can take it up more if i increase the core voltage from 1.73 to 1.75 or so...would htis be a safe decission?
    Last edited by 5abi; 05-22-2004 at 12:34 AM.

u have to run test on ur computer just cuz it looks fine cuz of the temp and stuff doesn't mean its stable..

download/find prime 95.. and run some tests.. and i can decide for you if ur computer is stable or not
    Curse you imageshack..

Take small incremental increases in the fsb until it doesn't run Prime95 without errors, then stop, and increase the fsb by the smallest amount your motherboard will allow. I don't think going to 1.75 core will be bad, but watch your temps. Run Prime95 again to see if it is more stable.

Sometimes, breaking in a chip for a while can increase its stability. My Intel P4 1.6A Northwood would not POST above 2.5GHz when I forst got it. I ran it overclocked at 2.4 GHz for a year, then for some reason tried to push it to see what would happen. I'm now just shy of 2.6GHz with the stock heatsink and fan. Under load I hit 50 degrees, 28 - 30 idle.

Overclockers.com has a cpu databse, where people list their OC success, and what core voltage they use to get to that speed.

Good luck!

First of all, I have researched this for a bit. MSI does not have a K7T255 in their list of mobo's on their website.
    The search string K7T255 does not appear anywhere on a google search.

The first thing you are going to want to do is make sure that your motherboard can be over clocked.

If it is able to overclock, do keep in mind that earlier pre-PIII chips were easy to overclock and handled overclocking really well. If you are not sure of how to overclock, look into it before you do it. I see more stuff on a weekly basis that has been overclocked (both processors and GPU's)... Most of the time people end up nuking their shit and then trying to return it to the retailer. We can tell when someone has overclocked. Just know exactly what you are doing and the risks before doing it.

-D

heh sorry its k7t266 not 55 lol typo

thnx for the help

frostyda9 Guest

If you want to OC, you should probably get a board that's more oriented towards it. When you jack your FSB on a board that's not really geared for it, you run into problems like AGP and PCI busses running too fast because they are based on a divisor of the FSB speed.
    PC2100 is fine for a stock 133 bus, but if you are exceeding that, it's a good idea to step up to PC2700 for some extra headroom.

If you can't afford to fry your CPU, I wouldn't play with core voltage too much.