Quantcast
steering wheel size - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: steering wheel size

Default steering wheel size

more of a personal opinion question but what size of steering wheel does everyone prefer for street/odd track day?

i put a 320mm momo wheel on my car today..... my god, it feels so different from stock. almost a bit too small...... if i don't get use to it i'll consider getting a bigger one. maybe 350mm.

R,
    What steering wheel and hub did u use? HOw much and what about ur airbag in the stock wheel?

Chris
    "Any idiot can drive fast in a straight line."

chris

i'm using momo race 320mm with momo#7306 hub. the hub is 'suppose' to be bolt on but it does not so don't let anyone tell you other wise. i had to drill and grind the shit out of the hub to get it to fit over the signal cancel device. as far as i can say about it airbag.... its gone. the airbag light did come on but i found a way how to trick the airbag system so it thinks the airbag is still in place so no more airbag light. cost was $5 of parts from the electronics store. lol. horn is a little tricky to get working.... i had to get a little creative with wiring it to the momo wheel but did get it working too. cruise control is gone. i didn't bother hooking it up because i have to remove the whole unit from the engine bay for soon to be installed turbo. i did this all last night in a dark garage so i don't have any pics of the installation but i did take some pics of the wheel installed this morning. i'll get them post them up later.

BOTTOM LINE is installing a momo steering/with hub on the impreza is a pain in the ass...... be prepared to do lots of 'custom' work. but its all worth it... hehehe.

sorry for the poor quality of pic... lol. you get the idea how it looks like.

My Ride
    Corolla

looks pretty darn good! good stuff!

lookin' sharp buddy.

C
    "Any idiot can drive fast in a straight line."

My Ride
    BMW X1 35i MSport

looks sweet!

My Ride
    Nicole-tegra

320mm is really good I find. I've had the 320 in my integra for a while now and at first it was really different but I got use to it and I like it so much better now! I find it so much easier to turn in sharp corners but I have to admit, at times it could be hard to handle when the road is bumpy and waivy, especially at high speeds. But overall, I like the smaller wheel better!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Tuner1 is offline Tunerworks Guru (E36S50B32)
    My Ride
    ///MPower, 4x4, Bianchi & Trek

IMO, for most normal cars (i.e not a Super 7!) ~350mm is the only size to have. The smaller wheels force your arms to arc inwards from the shoulders, block the gauges and make it much more difficult to reach the wiper and turn stalks.

Rob

nice rolland!
    remember me at canadian tire?!

john right? haha. how could i forget. your buddies silver M3. sooo..... nice man. i've seen his white veilside celica around too.

steering wheels.... i don't find the 320mm too bad for street. i'm getting more use to it. actually feels very nice now. no problems with wheel blocking the guages. the only real problem i have is how much i had to hack up the momo hub to get it to fit over the slip ring. it still doesn't fit quite right. rubs on a plastic shield behind the hub. i'll take it off tomorrow and do some more hacking with the dremel. i heard there is a jdm hub that will bolt right in without any mods so i might consider that if i can ever find one.

Hey Roland,

Looks great on the car. You had it in your trunk at the meet and you showed it to me . I remember thinking that it was pretty small when I was handling it, but it will just take time to get used to most likely. Looks sweet on the car though.
    I know you don't smoke weed. I know this. But I'm gonna git you high today. 'cause it's Friday, you ain't got no job, and you ain't got shit to do!

My Ride
    '99 Volkswagen GTI

man that steering wheel looks good, i want to put a sparco one on my car but i heard that if you take your airbags out and get in an accident the insurance company can cancel your insurance policy?
    R.I.P. 1998 Grand Prix Aug. 31 2003

'99 VW GTI in the works

My Ride
    EVO X

smaller size of steering wheel makes you more difficult to recover when the car is loss control, that why all the rally cars use large steering wheels 350mm+, but in formula car they can use smaller steering wheels because the steering and the wheels almost 1:1. try turning from 4:00 to 8:00 position right to left and you will find the wheels not turning much, so better becareful in the winter time

insurance is different from company to company... as long as the passenger airbag goes off.... i'm not worried.

rally cars use steering wheels size 330 to 385+. they also have a quick ratio steering rack 2.4 turns end to end. so very different from F1 cars which use D shape cut steering wheels because they never have to turn the wheel right around.

steering is a lot sharper with the 320mm wheel... i'll have to be extra careful in the winter. lol.

EDIT: don't know how to spell
    Last edited by 2000impreza; 10-21-2002 at 08:25 PM.

My Ride
    changes daily :D

damn that looks pimp...congrats!

My Ride
    BMW

Originally posted by 2000impreza
    chris

i'm using momo race 320mm with momo#7306 hub. the hub is 'suppose' to be bolt on but it does not so don't let anyone tell you other wise. i had to drill and grind the shit out of the hub to get it to fit over the signal cancel device. as far as i can say about it airbag.... its gone. the airbag light did come on but i found a way how to trick the airbag system so it thinks the airbag is still in place so no more airbag light. cost was $5 of parts from the electronics store. lol.
    Actually I've installed the 320mm MOMO on my old car and used it for years... no prob, and 320mm is really the optimum size for good turn-in angle. I think the trick to get the "right" hub for your car. I had it installed on a GTi, no prob... I then moved it to a Toyota, but didn't want to pay for another hub, so I had to rig it to work.
    As for getting the AIRBAG light to turn OFF, what did you do? I'm trying to figure that out for my current car. It's really annoying the hell outta me! You help is appreciated...

don't know if it is the same on your car but what i did was pick up a bunch of 1watt resistors from active electronics. range from 10ohm down to 1ohm. started with a 10 ohm hooked to the airbag connector and work my way down to a 3.3ohm before the airbag light finally went out. so its more of trial and error i guess. i wouldn't think the srs airbag system is that different from car to car. maybe start with a 5ohm resister and work your way down...

My Ride
    O.P.P.

Looks good dude. If you ever get sick of the Race, I'll trade you for my Fighter That should've been mine in the first place

Originally posted by cocoabrova
    Looks good dude. If you ever get sick of the Race, I'll trade you for my Fighter That should've been mine in the first place
    hehehe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast