Quantcast
What lane do you turn in? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What lane do you turn in?

My Ride
    300C srt8, Venza, F150, Expedition

Default What lane do you turn in?

I've been driving in Calgary for almost 3 years now,..... and I had a cop get real pissed at me for this, obviously off duty,... but yelling and swearing as he passed by.

going east on 17th till you hit Mcleod.
    now left turn is 2 lanes
    Northbound Mcleod is 4 lanes
    I was in the left side turning and went into the center left northbound lane,.... as I've done before following traffic in the past.
    The cop was in the right side turn lane.
    There are no dotted lines to mark what lane you're supposed to go to.

When I'm ever in the right side turning lane,... I ALWAYS go to the center right lane.

This happened a while ago,... and it's still eating at me,.... I need to know all of your thoughts on this one.

My Ride
    Nothing ATM

im confused...but what you did sounds about right...cops sometimes dont know the rules of the road either

My Ride
    ACR/EG/FJZ80/DC4/DC2/22RE

Default Re: What lane do you turn in?

Originally posted by barmanjay

I've been driving in Calgary for almost 3 years now,..... and I had a cop get real pissed at me for this, obviously off duty,... but yelling and swearing as he passed by.

going east on 17th till you hit Mcleod.
    now left turn is 2 lanes
    Northbound Mcleod is 4 lanes
    I was in the left side turning and went into the center left northbound lane,.... as I've done before following traffic in the past.
    The cop was in the right side turn lane.
    There are no dotted lines to mark what lane you're supposed to go to.

When I'm ever in the right side turning lane,... I ALWAYS go to the center right lane.

This happened a while ago,... and it's still eating at me,.... I need to know all of your thoughts on this one.
    Center left? You should be in the the left curb lane (West). I'm guessing you took lane 2 or 3 which is an illegal turn and would be the casue of an accident.

LOL Maybe it's time for refresher course in basic driving for Alberta ...

My Ride
    2Look slk

^^I think Barmanjay said that it was a dual turning lane so I don't see what the problem is

My Ride
    2002 SVT Focus

^^^ D'oh !!!
    11 F-150 Supercrew FX4 5.0

My Ride
    ACR/EG/FJZ80/DC4/DC2/22RE

Originally posted by girlRACER
    ^^I think Barmanjay said that it was a dual turning lane so I don't see what the problem is
    If he took "center left" (which I am guessing he means lane 2 ). Then he's in the wrong lane.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by girlRACER
    The problem is that it's illegal and you're suppose to turn into the far left northbound lane like speedracer illustrated...I've seen people do this incorrectly many times.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

yup, speed racer right. People do the wrong thing on MacLeod to 4th Ave all the time as well. You are always supposed to go to the nearest lane. That goes just about anywhere, not just Calgary.

I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am...
    My Ride
    That Blue Car

this is very common tat the offramp from deerfoot south to memorial east, i have been in the outside lane and got nearly crunched several times, because i was tunring into the "proper" lane.

i know you're not supposed to do it, but for me, as a rule of thumb, if i am on the inside i turn to the inside most lane, if i am on the outside, i turn to atleast the 3rd lane, to avoid stupid people.

My Ride
    VW GTi

Originally posted by Gonthro

i know you're not supposed to do it, but for me, as a rule of thumb, if i am on the inside i turn to the inside most lane, if i am on the outside, i turn to atleast the 3rd lane, to avoid stupid people.
    Yeah I do this too sometimes to give the inside person more room... just have to make sure to watch your right-side so that no one coming the opposite direction is making a right turn into the same lane as you.

But, the way to do it as everyone mentioned is to take the closest lane.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

wish he'd given you a ticket, I've been cut off / almost sideswiped countless times by people like you who dont know how to drive.
    Travel

I can see why the cop was pissed, I would be to. Have had plently of occasions where people during dual turns forget which lane to go to or can't even keep within thier own lane resulting in near misses. Speedracer's linked picture to the gov site explains it all.

I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am...
    My Ride
    That Blue Car

here, i modified the picture

this is how things are SUPPOSED to work
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    GTI

Thanks for the second illustration, this is a huge problem on Heritage turning left onto 14th St as well.

My Ride
    2017 Highlander XLE, 09 WRX STi

What I hate is when I'm downtown and I'm on a one way road with dual turns onto another dual turn. I'm in the lane closes to the curb and the car to the left of me turns right on a red. Only the person nearest the curb can turn right on the red onto a one way street and the other lane has to wait for the green light to turn right!!!

Originally posted by eb0i
    What I hate is when I'm downtown and I'm on a one way road with dual turns onto another dual turn. I'm in the lane closes to the curb and the car to the left of me turns right on a red. Only the person nearest the curb can turn right on the red onto a one way street and the other lane has to wait for the green light to turn right!!!
    false. i've asked a cop directly about this and he said, lane 1 closest to the curb turns into lane 1 closest to the curb. The second lane can then turn into the second lane from the curb.

So you turned from the lane closest to teh curb and went onto the lane closest to the curb and he went in the lane away from the curb and tried to turn into the lane closest to the curb?

My Ride
    2017 Highlander XLE, 09 WRX STi

Originally posted by 4G63Power

false. i've asked a cop directly about this and he said, lane 1 closest to the curb turns into lane 1 closest to the curb. The second lane can then turn into the second lane from the curb.
    i'm talking about red light turns onto a one way street, not what lane you go in.....

Originally posted by eb0i

i'm talking about red light turns onto a one way street, not what lane you go in.....
    So am I. On a red light, from a one-way to a one-way, both turning lanes can turn into their respective lanes.

My Ride
    a wrx.

lol of course if ure in lane 1 u turn into lane and if ure in lane 2 then u turn into lane 2...technically!

but a lot of ppl dont do that, so just go with the flow, unless theres a cop around.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast