Quantcast
Car purchase issues - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Car purchase issues

My Ride
    240sx, 1991 Supra mk3 tt, 4-speed 93 Benz 320e

Default Help!

I bought a car on Monday and I brought it home. The guy told me it was an 89 but it turns out to be an 87. He also told me the status was clean but it was written off before. Do I have any legal re-course?

I didn't sign a bill of sale yet he's supposed to bring it by tonight, so if he writes not written off, can I return the car to him?

I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am...
    My Ride
    That Blue Car

did you give him the cash?

(also, be more descriptive in your topic, its fuggin annoying when people do that)

My Ride

Originally posted by Gonthro
    did you give him the cash?
    That I did So do I have any legal recourse?

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

This is why you pay the 15 bucks at the registries and do a VIN search before you buy the car.
    Travel

Originally posted by Zoom_Zoom

That I did So do I have any legal recourse?

does the bill of sale have AS IS on it?

They guy probab;y put that on there and now you are screwed.

Although if he put 87 instead of 89 that could void the contract right?

My Ride
    VW GTi

You gave him the cash with no bill of sale? Then what is the point of a bill of sale? Now technically he owns your car AND has the cash....

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Uh it's him that needs to sign the bill of sale, before you give the money for exactly the reason Kor said. At least the back of the registration with the "sale of vehicle" section filled out?

Otherwise you just gave him a pile of money for nothing?

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    335i

I'm going to go out on a limb today and make a few assumptions.

1) If you try and seek legal recourse by saying that it was an 1987 and not a 1989 like he said, i'm pretty sure he'll say that he told u it was a 1987.

2) I am willing to bet that he will also deny not telling you that the status of the car is "repaired".

He has your money. He could put very well ANYTHING in the bill of sale. If I were a scammer, i'd deliver a $50 Chevette to you, take my car back, and leave you out to dry as you have NO proof that you gave him any money for the said vehicle, or any other vehicle at all.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Did you get a receipt from him? Anything in writing???

My Ride

I know the guy he lives beside me so yah. He is going to bring me a bill of sale today and I'm going to get him to write what he said on the BIll-of-Sale. I got a Vehicle Information Report from the registry and the car is re-built. So if he told me the car has a clean title, wouldn't that void the contract?

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

I know the guy he lives beside me so yah. He is going to bring me a bill of sale today and I'm going to get him to write what he said on the BIll-of-Sale. I got a Vehicle Information Report from the registry and the car is re-built. So if he told me the car has a clean title, wouldn't that void the contract?

Whether or not he told you means fuck all, it has to say ON THE BILL OF SALE the car has a clean title and is an 89, for you to take any sort of action.
    Travel

My Ride
    That Blue Car

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    If I were a scammer, i'd deliver a $50 Chevette to you, take my car back, and leave you out to dry as you have NO proof that you gave him any money for the said vehicle, or any other vehicle at all.
    if he were a scammer he could just say fawk you, and if you dont give the car back, he phones the police and charges you with theft.

scammers love cash, no paper trail, and with no bill of sale, there is no proof you ever gave him the money.

My Ride

if he were a scammer he could just say fawk you, and if you dont give the car back, he phones the police and charges you with theft.

scammers love cash, no paper trail, and with no bill of sale, there is no proof you ever gave him the money.
    I have the old registration signed by him. I'm going to talk to him tomorrow or the weekend to either return the car or give me some of my money back!

I'm assuming that he never brought by the bill of sale to you because you posted yesterday and now you've posted today.
    I agree with most of the comments written here, you're pretty much SOL. It's similar to you walking into a store and not getting a receipt and leaving with the merchandise, finding that you have a problem with the merchandise, and then not being able to do anything about it because you can't prove that you purchased it in the store.
    As for legal recourse, nope, not without a bill of sale and since there are no stipulations between you're agreement you'll be hard pressed to be able to show that you purchased it because it will be your word against his.
    Also, don't expect too much from this neighbour of yours.. it's just too bad that you expected him to honor his word and he didn't because he's lied to you twice already (the year the car was built and the 'clean' record of the car).
    If you choose to take this to civil claims keep in mind that it costs $100 to file it in the first place and it is the plaintiff's responibility to PROVE that the defendant was in the wrong. But with no documentation at all.. except an old registration paper I don't know how much of a case you have.
    Good luck!

My Ride

Thanks for all the replies guys. I got a bill of sale yesterday and got it signed without causing any suspicions for him. I asked him in front of 3 witnesses and he told me "no not written off". I also wrote "clean status" on the bill of sale before he signed it. So today after school i will take the car back to him and demand my money back!

My Ride
    That Blue Car

it is also quite possible that he honestly did not now about the reapired status?

it is also quite possible that he honestly did not now about the reapired status?
    Exactly.

He did not know it was not written off - doesn't mean it was never written off. This sounds like a disposable car, and I know if I'm buying a $100 car I wouldn't spend $15 to check it (That's 15% of the purchase price!).

So you actually have no legal recourse until you can PROVE he KNEW it was written off.

Sure he could be nice and give you your $$ back, but on a shitty car does it really matter if it was written off? Highly unlikely.

My Ride
    335i

I have the old registration signed by him. I'm going to talk to him tomorrow or the weekend to either return the car or give me some of my money back!
    Who are your witnesses? Friends/Family? Doubt they will hold up in court.

What do you mean he never knew? All registration slips have it clearly listed "REPAIRED". There is no way he DIDN'T know.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    That Blue Car

Who are your witnesses? Friends/Family? Doubt they will hold up in court.

What do you mean he never knew? All registration slips have it clearly listed "REPAIRED". There is no way he DIDN'T know.
    well i dont know about you, but to me all registration slips look the same, i dont inspect every one i get. i thing theonly time i looked at my current one was as i was fooldign it nad putting it into my wallet.

How many people don't know their license plate number?

Exactly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast