Quantcast
Which camera? Canon vs Sony vs Nikon vs Olympus - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which camera? Canon vs Sony vs Nikon vs Olympus

My Ride
    Hybrid

Default Which camera? Canon vs Sony vs Nikon vs Olympus

I'm looking at getting a new digital camera soon, but I'm having trouble deciding what to get. I'd really love a dSLR, but I can't really afford the camera + lenses, etc at this point.

Right now, my list consists of/has been narrowed down to:
    Canon
    S45/S50, G5
    Sony
    W1, V1
    Nikon
    Coolpix 4200, Coolpix 5200 (not out yet), Coolpix 5400

Here's what I'm looking for (and what a lot of these cameras have in common):
    -manual features
    -fast
    -compact
    -good photo quality this is the reason why the G5 and CP5400 made the list, but I really would prefer something compact if I could get something with comparable photo quality

Are there any cameras that didn't make it to my list that should have?

Can anyone comment on the quality of the optics for these cameras, ie Nikkor vs Zeiss vs Canon lens?

Any feedback from the photography experts on this board would be especially appreciated

Thanks All

My Ride
    VW GTi

Well I am not an expert and I know some other guys on here are...

The S45 and Nikon 4200 are both 4MP cameras while the rest are 5MP cameras. Although they will all take good quality pictures, 5MP is obviously higher resolution.

I think price is the defining factor here, since there is probably at least a $200 range ...

I personally like the A80 for a 4MP camera.... its cheaper too

I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am...
    My Ride
    That Blue Car

sony photo = crap

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

I agree. I dont care what Sony has, says they have, or what bells and whistles they put on their cameras. They fool you with their "Carl Zeiss" bullshit, what good is a nice lens when your image sensor blows. Sony has terrible terrible photo quality, especially in regards to colors. Most people overlook that, and and for the average camera user, Sony may suffice, but when you sit down and want to look at the photos in detail on the computer, you'll notice it big time after that.

I dont care what they are like now, Sony is not a camera company.

Go Canon, Go Nikon. Personally I was disappointed with the coolpix line since it began, so I am also gonna cross them off the list, haha. Other Nikons are nice tho.
    Travel

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Powershot S1 IS

There is also an S60 out that has more zoom.

But you are spending serious bucks. Try getting a DRebel for around $1300. Save for a little while longer, you won't be disappointed.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by benyl
    Powershot S1 IS

There is also an S60 out that has more zoom.

But you are spending serious bucks. Try getting a DRebel for around $1300. Save for a little while longer, you won't be disappointed.
    Though these are great cameras, I would never recommend a DSLR for an average camera user. Buying new lens' and equipment for them is so damn expensive, so unless you plan on spending a few more thousand after you buy the camera, Get the S60 or S1 IS.

If you really ant to get into it, and are willing to foot the after expense of owning one, then yeah, buy a DSLR, as Benyl said, you wont be disappointed (except at the cost)
    Travel

My Ride
    That Blue Car

well as quite the amature that i am, right now i am quite pleased with the d rebel and the kit lens... im sure as i get more into it i'll want more and better stuff.... but the quality even with the kit lens and a uv filter is outstanding.

i just enjoy the fact that, when and if i ever feel the need to, i can upgrade this camera almost limitlessly without buying a new body.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Thanks guys, a couple comments for each of you...

Kor: I know that two of them are 4mp cameras, but quite often (i know this is the case for the s50) the 5mp equivalent of a camera has more noise because they are cramming more pixels onto the same CCD. One of my requirements is Good photo quality, so if the 4mp does better, then I would go with it

Gonthro: would you care to give me an explanation?

Ben: a couple reviews I've read say that the V1 is better than the G5 is some respects and worse in others, but it's a much smaller package, which is why i'm considering it.
    But for the Nikons, is there anything in particular that you dont' like about them?? I think there are quite a few people on "another board" that swear by Nikons.

Benyl: My friend has actually had a look at the S1, but the photo quality was only comparable to A70 quality, and it was really slow.. so i'm kinda turned off of that.
    How is the kit lens with the Drebel? My brother has that camera, and he was complaining that it's unreasonably "slow", he went and bought himself another lens, which is a luxury I can't really afford (one more year of tuition).

Does anyone follow Olympus or Fuji?
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    That Blue Car

i think ben emplained my statment quite well.

there was photo's posted here some time ago comparing pictures taken with the sont cam, and a comperable canon cam, and the quality was uncomperable

i have heard only good about nikon i just like the versatility and interchngeability of the canon and its lenses.

i dont find the kit lens to be that show, perhaps your brother needs a faster cf card?
    Last edited by Gonthro; 05-27-2004 at 09:16 AM.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

For the most part, people buy Nikon cause they dont like Canon, or grew up with Nikon cameras, everyone has their opinions, however from what I have seen performance wise out of the Nikon Coolpix line has been substandard for the money. Lots of grain in reds, and poor quality in dark conditions. My idea of poor quality might be a lot less forgiving than the average user however.
    Travel

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by Ben

Though these are great cameras, I would never recommend a DSLR for an average camera user. Buying new lens' and equipment for them is so damn expensive, so unless you plan on spending a few more thousand after you buy the camera, Get the S60 or S1 IS.

If you really ant to get into it, and are willing to foot the after expense of owning one, then yeah, buy a DSLR, as Benyl said, you wont be disappointed (except at the cost)
    The cost is exactly what concerns me... I think a dSLR would be an excellent step up for me, I'm really starting to get into photography, but I can't afford the costs of the equipment.
    I'm thinking that it would be nice to get something relatively compact for now, that I can still use to supplement a dSLR which I'm planning to get after I graduate and get some real money.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by Gonthro
    i think ben emplained my statment quite well.

there was photo's posted here some time ago comparing pictures taken with the sont cam, and a comperable canon cam, and the quality was uncomperable

i have heard only good about nikon i just like the versatility and interchngeability of the canon and its lenses.

i dont find the kit lens to be that show, perhaps your brother needs a faster cf card?
    That was a very low end sony cam though... the high end (the v1, and the F series) are supposed to be quite competitive with the canons

Sorry, didn't mean that the camera operations were slow, the lens was "slow"... blurry pics on cloudy days or in low light conditions because it needs a slow shutter speed to get proper exposure
    Last edited by Strider; 05-27-2004 at 09:28 AM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

The kit lens is "slow". It is tough to use for car shows and what not if you don't have a steady hand. A lot of Ben's shots lately have been with the kit lens. Just bump the ISO, or get a steady hand. Ben is amazingly steady.

You can buy a 50mm f1.8 for around $150 shipped from the states. That would be plenty fast for anything, but it lacks the zoom. I have been using a 35mm f2.0 (50mm equivalent with the crop factor of DSLR) for anything that I don't use my 70-200. I don't remember the last time I used my kit lens. Instead of zooming in and out, I just move my fat ass. Sometimes that isn't an option (moving around that is).

I have spent way, and I mean WAY too much money on lenses. It is verging on ridiculous. Beware of this if you plunge into the DSLR world. If you really get into it, expect to spend $5K+ to get what you need... then a few more thousand to get what you want.

Just buy a DRebel with out the Kit Lens. Should save you $150-$200. Use your brother's kit lens until you can afford something better.

The S1 has Image Stabilization and an L series lens (professional quality glass). It is hard for me to believe that the pic quality is equal to the $500 A70. As far as slowness, there isn't one p&s camera that I have seen that has a .18 second reaction time like the DSLRs.

Like Ben said, it all depends on your needs. How much do you realistically have to spend. What are you planning on shooting? Ben has taken a lot of high quality photos with a Canon S200.

My Ride
    a wrx.

if u are looking for manual features, then i wouldnt recommend the nikons ure looking at. if u are looking for ease of use, then the nikons are great.

the nikons offer very limited manual features (exp comp, a few preset white balance modes, preset area focus) but they do have a million preset modes to help u take pics of different scenes.

they tend to reaaally suck for low light conditions since they dont let u manually adjust shutter speed and aperture. in the auto mode, all it does is raise the ccd sensitivity a lot, which results in very grainy photos.

actually, my main beef with them is that pictures show up way brighter on teh LCD screen than they actually are. i took a ton of pics on vacation that i thought were perfectly lighted which turned out really dark.

My Ride
    a wrx.

and heres a pic i took with a nikon 3200.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    Hybrid

Thanks GTS Jeff, I was actually under the impression that the Nikon does have Aperture/Shutter control... I'll have to look a little more closely

Benyl, thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to talk to my bro on that one.
    I'm looking to spend about $600-$700 shopping around on the camera alone, and a little extra on things like memory, batteries... so the Rebel is still a bit out of my range.
    The S1 is a bit large for what i'm looking for, but the 10x zoom would be nice... when i say it was slow, it was mainly the autofocus which took the longest it was damn near impossible to shoot a moving target.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    2009 STi

I still think too many people are getting tied up on this one has 5MP and that one only has 4MP. That should be the least important thing. Last year the camera I was using was a whopping 3MP and it was fine for everything I used it for (newpaper, huge posters, catalogs, prints, etc). My "new" camera is a staggering 4MP and I expect it to be more than I will ever need. The average person is fine with 2MP (that should be good for up to 8x10" prints), but chances are, like most people you may end up just ever printing 4x6's and posting the photos on the web...

Keep in mind too that any SLR is going to be a pain to have with you. They are big and heavy, so if you actually intend on carrying it around with you a lot and use it "just because", you probably won't (unless you're hardcore like Ben ). I sure don't, thats why I think I need to go get myself a small p&s now...

Your best bet, go to the store and pick the camera that feel the best in your hand and stop worrying about extracting the very best image quality out of them. If you don't end up ever wanting to use it, what difference does it make how pretty the pictures COULD be if you never actually take them?

Oh, and go with CANON

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Strider
    Thanks GTS Jeff, I was actually under the impression that the Nikon does have Aperture/Shutter control... I'll have to look a little more closely
    well they might. i know that the 2200 and the 3200 dont. i figured that the 4200 and 5200 would be the same cam with higher res.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by tulit
    Keep in mind too that any SLR is going to be a pain to have with you. They are big and heavy, so if you actually intend on carrying it around with you a lot and use it "just because", you probably won't (unless you're hardcore like Ben ). I sure don't, thats why I think I need to go get myself a small p&s now...

Oh, and go with CANON
    This is exactly what I'm thinking, but I do still hope to get the best quality for a small camera.

What P&S's would you be considering?
    with your preference being Canon, I'm guessing s500, s60?

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    well they might. i know that the 2200 and the 3200 dont. i figured that the 4200 and 5200 would be the same cam with higher res.
    you are indeed correct...
    Nikon is off the list

I guess now it's between the S45/S60 and the Sonys which everybody love to hate.
    They seem to get decent reviews on sites like dcresource though.

Does anyone visit other good review sites? dpreview doesn't seem to have anything other than prosumer cameras.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast