Quantcast
best battery out there? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: best battery out there?

My Ride
    90 Acura Integra LS, 88 corolla winter beater

Default best battery out there?

Whats the best battery i could get in toronto under $200. with lots of cranking amps

My Ride
    2002 Acura 1.7EL

I'd check out the Optima Yellow tops. I'm not sure if they have an application for your Probe but its worth checking into.

My Ride
    FJC, S30

^ yup i agree
    Submaker.Illest.

Originally posted by GSR Zero
    I'd check out the Optima Yellow tops. I'm not sure if they have an application for your Probe but its worth checking into.
    Thats the one

My Ride
    Accord 6-6, Tacoma

I would be somewhat carefull when considering an Optima battery. I've gone through 3 on one car now. When used regularly, its a good performer, but when you have it on a summer car used only a few months a year, the charge has to be regularly checked. If the charge goes down for any period of time, it seams to never recharge back up to full capacity. The last 2 i have won't hold a charge for more than a day. I got warranty on them, but wasn't that impressed. Many other people i know have had similar experience.
    Last edited by Deetz; 05-27-2004 at 12:45 PM.
    Honda/Acura guy

My Ride
    AI Servo

Originally posted by Deetz
    I would be somewhat carefull when considering an Optima battery. I've gone through 3 on one car now. When used regularly, its a good performer, but when you have it on a summer car used only a few months a year, the charge has to be regularly checked. If the charge goes down for any period of time, it seams to never recharge back up to full capacity. The last 2 i have won't hold a charge for more than a day. I got warranty on them, but wasn't that impressed. Many other people i know have had similar experience.
    Was that the yellow or red top?

Batteries should be purchased based on the car that it is going into. Just stick with a recognized brand and get one with a good warranty.

A Probe shouldnt need tons of cold cranking amps. A battery is generally only as good as the alternator charging it.

My Ride
    Lifted 4.0L H.O.

Originally posted by sputnik
    Batteries should be purchased based on the car that it is going into. Just stick with a recognized brand and get one with a good warranty.

A Probe shouldnt need tons of cold cranking amps. A battery is generally only as good as the alternator charging it.
    I agree the probe shouldnt need much in the cranking amp dept. but if you are running a system it wouldnt hurt to have some extra reserve capacity. And if your alternator should pick a nice time on you to die, at least you can limp your ass home. The gel cell batteries are nice too cause you can run them down lower than a conventional battery and charge it up again. Plus they dont freeze, or rather shoudlnt with the weather we get anything is possible.
    Rev high, ride low.

My Ride
    Infiniti G35 (wife's car) Me; Ancient Beetle

Sputnik's advice seems right to me. Buy the warranty every bit as much as you buy the battery.
    Did that make sense?
    Ah, you know what I meant to say...

I have a Sears Diehard in my old Bug, and it has been reliable since Fall, 1998.

My Ride
    MDX

Originally posted by Deetz

Hmmmm I've been using the same yellow top since 97, and its still running strong. I used it when I competed in spl comps, daily driving, winter driving, car parked for months at a time, and its still kicking. Wierd that you had so many problems.