Quantcast
Working too much - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Working too much

My Ride
    Nissan 300ZX NA (Z31)

Originally posted by QuasarCav
    I just dont feel good sitting around wasting my life.
    Me neither, feel like shit when your home doing absolutly nothing productive.

As for the rest, I'm pretty laid back when it comes to "worrying" about money, don't get me wrong, sometimes it gets the best of me and I'll be stressing all over the place... but when you look at the big picture, whats more important, family, and friends, if your rich and have niether, you got NOTHIN! Possesions are second. Work work work till your grey in the head and your dong is down to the floor. Fine. But just remember, money ain't everything. IF your coming home everyday pissed off, and grumpy as hell, and making your home life miserable..... sorry, but thats not the way its supposed to be. Just remember why you work, simply to support your family, and nothing wrong with having some fun on the side.

And at the same time, I don't have any fancy degree or anything, just my high school diploma, and thats it. So you have to take what you can get... and if you work in a whole. Its completely understandable. Just don't take it out on the fam. They are why you work.

Thats just the way I see it anyways.

Peace.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    GTI

Max you are sleeping WAY too much, 10 hours is ok if your in you're mid teens maybe. After 20 you only need to get about 7 hours of sleep to function properly, no matter what you're doing.

My Ride
    86 300ZX N/A

Health, Family and friends, bla bla bla bla....then work....i mean u got nothing if u dont got your health and your family and friends...work can come later.....and working to much can be bad for your health....sooo everyone just take a few mins to your self....and dont swet the small stuff...

KEEP FIT AND HAVE FUN!!!

"those to health junkys we see on TV"

later
    http://www.americanroyalarts.com/library/sr1.jpg

My Ride
    rsx-s

Originally posted by max_boost
    I Agree! Money is a huge motivating factor. I guess it's all about balancing everything and having the mental toughness to do what you have to do.

It's weird, I have buddies who have graduated with degrees, owing $30K in debt, yet are still unemployed. They seem to have no sense of urgency to do anything?
    it's easier to say this if you're basically already rich IMO

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

It's weird, I have buddies who have graduated with degrees, owing $30K in debt, yet are still unemployed. They seem to have no sense of urgency to do anything?
    I came out of school with 40K of debt. I worked hard and saved and saved and paid it off in 18 months. Debt gave me stress like no other! I couldn't imagine sitting on my ass with that much debt, I think I would go insane.

Our society has made it way to easy to live a debt filled life. Credit companies giving out credit left, right and centre. With all my credit lines, credit cards, etc... I could borrow it all at once, run to a third world country and live like a king for a few years. I think that our society has made it "cool" to be in debt. Look at all the people getting luxury cars that really can't afford them.

To each their own. When I am 45, I plan on having something, not having had a "fun" life. A lot of people plan on having kids and whatnot. Think about how hard it will be to say "no" to your child when they ask for a toy, game, etc... and you can't really afford it cause you spent too much when you were young.

E36M3 said it best... diet and exercise... eat some salad! hahaha

My Ride
    02 Accord

I dunno guys, having money as a motivational factor isn't that great of an idea, and it prob the reason why so many of you are so tired and dragging your asses... What I did in the past, was imagined something I was working for, a goal if you will.... Some of you might want to buy a house straight up, or some of you might save for that new car you've always wanted... Money isn't a goal, your goal should be what your going to do with that money... If money is your sole motivation, for most of you, it wont get you very far... Like for a year I worked straight and saved for a brand new 2001 prelude... My account wasn't my motivation, every morning I woke up, I had that car as my sole motivator for waking up, and doing what I had to do to get it... You know what, in 2001 I baught the car straight up... As soon as I get outta school, I will go house shopping, I wont buy a house, but I'll know exactly what I want, and how much I have to save to get it... Fuck money...

Rich

My Ride
    93 INTEGRA

yes fuck money.... you know because we can live off of dirt and rocks. with the money you spent n that lude and some saved you could have a nice little down payment on a house. but hey fuck money right you can do without right

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by nosegrindR

it's easier to say this if you're basically already rich IMO
    Are you implying that I am rich? Not sure what you are trying to say

Some interesting points in this thread, my goal is to make as much money as possible. Perhaps to some that is the wrong goal, but if you think about it, when I have that money, I can easily purchase a car/house/electronics/vacation which some of you state, should be the actual goal, not monetary value.

I know for myself, I already set the limits of how much money I want to have and at what age. In many aspects, seeing how many people who are in debt is a motivating factor. I tell myself how I want to live well and not having to worry about money.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Max, do you ever take vacations?

My grandpa used to own a restaurant where he'd work 9 am to 2 am each day (~120 hours a week) and his doctor told him that if he didn't slow down, he'd have huge health complications. He ended up retiring at 40, getting bored and openning another resataraunt for another 15 years.

My Ride
    NC1

My vacations are no longer than 3 days and I've only had two in the past 9 years. Everytime I want to take some time off, something always comes up. Everything is so redundant, I do the samething every single day. I just tell myself, hang in there and there will come a day when I can do whatever the hell I want!!! I just hope I don't go crazy before then All this work is making me become more and more anti social and fatigued. At the end of the day, all I want to do is sleep and I end up sleeping for 10 hours and the next day is the same thing over again..........I lose track of time and just notice the days blowing by quickly, maybe that's a good thing? It's my sacrifice for a better future and I hope it pays off......
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

My vacations are no longer than 3 days and I've only had two in the past 9 years. Everytime I want to take some time off, something always comes up. Everything is so redundant, I do the samething every single day. I just tell myself, hang in there and there will come a day when I can do whatever the hell I want!!! I just hope I don't go crazy before then All this work is making me become more and more anti social and fatigued. At the end of the day, all I want to do is sleep and I end up sleeping for 10 hours and the next day is the same thing over again..........I lose track of time and just notice the days blowing by quickly, maybe that's a good thing? It's my sacrifice for a better future and I hope it pays off......
    Definatly not healthy, wayy too much effort being expelled there.

Work smart, not hard
    Travel

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I guess I am lucky that my job(s) have enough variety to keep me out of monotony.

and what Ben said

My Ride
    rsx-s

Are you implying that I am rich? Not sure what you are trying to say

by having rich parents or by being spoiled helps out a lot, since they can help you with many things, they can help you buy a house, help buy your first car, help you with paying insurance, anything helps because it's stuff you DON'T have to pay for when payday comes around ---> which in turn you can put in your saving account ---> which in turn gets you a larger disposable income for luxuries

and the more your parents help you out, the more you should be able to save (theroritically) because you have things paid for already, and for most people payday results in paying people off, paying bills and etc because they don't get assistance from their parents.

it's just my 10 cents because i see a lot of rich kids thinking they've made themselves so successful when in reality their parents are the ones giving you the most assistance. with this in mind i have no respect for people like this because they personally did not earn their fortunes -- i have way more respect for the individuals that start from scratch and work to be successful and most of all happy and become humble of their fortunes
    Last edited by nosegrindR; 06-02-2004 at 12:58 AM.

On a related note, I was reading a great book on an airplane yesterday, and came across the following equation, which I happen to agree with:

h = f^3

happiness = family * friends * food

I don't see work in there

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

by having rich parents or by being spoiled helps out a lot, since they can help you with many things, they can help you buy a house, help buy your first car, help you with paying insurance, anything helps because it's stuff you DON'T have to pay for when payday comes around ---> which in turn you can put in your saving account ---> which in turn gets you a larger disposable income for luxuries

and the more your parents help you out, the more you should be able to save (theroritically) because you have things paid for already, and for most people payday results in paying people off, paying bills and etc because they don't get assistance from their parents.

it's just my 10 cents because i see a lot of rich kids thinking they've made themselves so successful when in reality their parents are the ones giving you the most assistance. with this in mind i have no respect for people like this because they personally did not earn their fortunes -- i have way more respect for the individuals that start from scratch and work to be successful and most of all happy and become humble of their fortunes
    if you think that anyone has made it on their own, you are surely mistaken. any successful person is that way because of the support structure that they have around them. Some people start with that (parents), others build it (friends, networking, business partners). To do anything, you always need a "connection." I am lucky, I can still live at home. I don't look down on people who stay at home, I think that it is smart. Why blow $500+ on rent when you can save that to put a down payment on your house? You give up a tonne of freedom when you life at home, does that count for nothing?

My Ride
    rsx-s

oh by all means take advantage of that, living at home is a privilege for sure.
    i'm talking about kids that have their parents buy their cars for them and claim they've worked for it, or kids that have their parents help pay their bills or still buy them clothes and material goods...etc, cause these kids have an advantage over the most people in the working class because they're working to save money instead of work to live.

My Ride
    2010 GLK350 4MATIC, 2006 SLK350

I used to work anywhere from 9-15 hour days depending on the day and no matter what I would get owned and have to sleep it off and say bye to the social life. It got so bad that I was working 5 days and using the 2 on the weekend to recover so I could go at it again...this was like manual labour for Coca-Cola last summer.

On the bad side of things...my mom works in the florist (family business) 9am -9pm everyday, no breaks or holidays; sometimes working even longer because of special orders.
    She just had a stroke and will be hospitalized...so I have to take 1 year off school to help the family till things get better...

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by Kamen
    so I have to take 1 year off school to help the family till things get better...
    I admire that very much. All too often I hear people say, "why don't you just hire someone"? If it were only as simple as that, most people are looking for exciting jobs and there are a lot of things when running your own business, they will not do. I refer to this as 'grunt work'

I'm taking some time off school right now as well, when I can find more reliable sources to help me out, then I'll go back and finish my education.
    I am user #49

My Ride
    NC1

oh by all means take advantage of that, living at home is a privilege for sure.
    i'm talking about kids that have their parents buy their cars for them and claim they've worked for it, or kids that have their parents help pay their bills or still buy them clothes and material goods...etc, cause these kids have an advantage over the most people in the working class because they're working to save money instead of work to live.
    It's true that some people have an easier way to a good life than others. How many times have you heard those who came from absolutely nothing but now have everything they want? REally, it comes down to taking advantage of what you have, knowing what you have to do, and taking actions to get where you want to be.

I've always been a big advocate of living at home. Mind you I get along great with my parents and we work together 10 hours a day. Do I plan to keep this up forever? No. In a few years, I'll have the foundation set to tackle the next phase of my life. Changing careers, moving away, traveling, starting a family etc. All this while most of my buddies are still paying off their student loans.
    I am user #49

lam-boy Guest

Originally posted by Kamen
    I used to work anywhere from 9-15 hour days depending on the day and no matter what I would get owned and have to sleep it off and say bye to the social life. It got so bad that I was working 5 days and using the 2 on the weekend to recover so I could go at it again...this was like manual labour for Coca-Cola last summer.

On the bad side of things...my mom works in the florist (family business) 9am -9pm everyday, no breaks or holidays; sometimes working even longer because of special orders.
    She just had a stroke and will be hospitalized...so I have to take 1 year off school to help the family till things get better...
    wow man, hope your mom's doing okay.
    9am-9pm is crazy..

my mom works in her own store from 10-7 but sometimes she stays later..one days i come out and help her i know i can't do much but you know take the load off her..she works hard enough. i can't really do much but clean up and ...ah...lets see here how would i say it..umm sew things.. haha well anyways enough about that.

and max, yeah i see that 10 hours of sleep is a tad too much. im only getting 8 hours and im always full of energy. maybe when you wake up in the morning go do a quick lap around the nieghbourhood.

i only work about 20 hours a week. sometimes less sometimes more..3 hours a day isn't too bad. im learning how to manage my money now, and on days where i have free time i come help my mom. i was about to apply at mount royal..but i guess i did it too late cause all sessions are closed.. i have to wait for january to start ahh..life is slowly disappearing..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast