Quantcast
Working too much - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Working too much

My Ride
    NC1

Default Working too much

Just curious how many of you guys work 70+hours a week? If so, how do you manage? Do you work multiple jobs? Run your own business? How do you stay motivated? Is your job physically demanding? Is it the money you are after? How's it affecting your health? Are you always tired? Stressed? Sore? etc.

For myself, I work 10 hours and sleep 10 hours but I'm still fairly exhausted. Any insights?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Nissan 300ZX NA (Z31)

What do you do?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    02 Accord

heh I work like 5 hours and I'm exhausted for some reason... I goto school full time though, and I work out alot too, and I work two days a week... btw I'm in sales ... haha

Go get some physical exercise.. i find that helps alot.. plan your days so that you can at least get to do something you enjoy (that's not work related). I pull 13 hour days including school 3-4 days out of 5 and i just plan on doing stuff I enjoy that's not work related on days where I have more time. But yeah, I find physical activities help alot.

I work around 70 - 80 hours a week. That does not include time I need to study, and try to be a husband and father. I am chronically not getting enough sleep, which is part of having young kids.

It is stressful, because I feel like I am unable to devote myself to any of those things, and really be good at any of them.

I think the only way I can manage is to have a supportive spouse. I would be unable to do any of it, if not for her. She runs our household, and raises the kids. I try to be the best dad I can be, given the circumstances.

My Ride
    '99.5 2.0L Jetta What I ride: '05 Kona Stuff

I'm only 18 but I can totally see what you guys are saying, it's all about trying to prioritize what you really want to do and not wasting any time at all.

You spend one night wrong and you've screwed up your whole weak.

I always try and do things 110% which is impossible when you are trying to do like four things at once.

There comes a time for me when you have to make a harsh decision and cut something out of your life. Right now I work 30 hours a week (three days), play hockey two nights a week, take an EMR course on Saturday and Sunday eight hours each, have about 10 hours of EMR homework each week, go to church sunday night, I workout 1 hour one day, two the next, one the next... and I'm trying to get my golf season started.

Oh well I wouldn't have it any other way.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    '11 Honda RL '21 RDX '96 Civic Hatch

You definitely need to exercise especially in the morning where it's most effective; keeping you awake and energetic. And instead of 10 hours of sleep do like 8 MB.

I work in the evening as a package handler so 15-20 hrs/week not much then I got school in the morning. For me working out in the morning and doing cardio helps.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

10 hours of sleep?!?!??! hahhahhaha I wish I could get 10 hours of sleep.

Most people only really need 8. work out 3-4 times a week and you will get more energy... gets your metabolism going.

More and more as I get older I see sleep suffering the most.

When there isn't enough time sleep usually gets cut first.

I'll work 6 days a week and get to sleep 6-7hours on those nights. For the one day off I try to sleep for 9-11 hours but that isn't always the case.

If I dont get that one sleep recovery day i find the rest of the week is slower and sucks more. But as we all know if you want a social life than you have to sacrifice your down-time.

It's all about balance people. It's easy to say and damn near impossible to achieve.

Hope that brightens everyones day!

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

I could work 70+ hours a week, but I choose not to. It's about balance and what you want to do in life. I work 40ish/week, and I have time to spend with my wife, do work around the house and basically lounge around. I have enough money to buy what I need - sure I could work more and pay for a nice M3 or a bigger house, but is that worth the hell? I see so many people talking about how much they have to work, yet most of that is being driven by the need to buy toys (ie, keeping up with the Joneses).

I respect those who are working hard to pay for school, or get out of debt so they can get a decent paying job that will allow them to not have to work 70 hours a week.

One thing that everyone learns sooner or later is that life is short. Years go by faster and faster - at some point you need to say enough is enough and start living.

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    NC1

I sleep a lot because I am so tired at the end of the day, I don't feel like doing anything. I'm 22 and starting to give serious thoughts into my future. In some ways, the 70hours is a given (no choice, family business). The short term trade off is social time for financial gain. I figure if I can hang in here for a few more years, I'll secure myself financially where I can start a family and change careers etc. There are somedays I just feel like it's a drag, searching for that motivation to continue chugging along.
    I am user #49

I work 6-7 days a week in real estate and mortgage brokering. I have odd hours, usually totaling 60hrs then I have my acting which involves another 10-15 hrs per week. I work so much cause I try to increase my standard of living and I am building a foundation to retire EARLY. Fuck it, i'm young and can still have fun while working really hard...when I am a bit older, i'll be able to chill and do whatever I want...

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

tell me about it.

I have a full time job, family business (mother has a lunch kiosk downtown), and two other restaurants that I own with my cousin. What is the point in having money if you can't spend it? hahaha Some weeks, I wish I could only work 70 hours.

I took a up a new hobby to give me excuses to get away a little.

I am at a point now where I have lost a lot of motivation to do things... like I haven't done my tax return yet, even though I will get some cash back... I am not in dire need of that cash right now, so I don't put the effort into getting it back.

Give it some time and you will get back into the swing of things... my life has been hectic like this for the past 5 years, and I have had my share of ups and downs.

What motivates us guys with no kids and no wife??

I just find it hard to arrive at every day with a positive attitude. I know working will eventually work out and i will be happy with the outcome.

It's just the day-to-day monotony that I think kills most of us.

Anyone agree?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

trying to get 6 figures in my bank account before I am 30 (without investments, etc...) is what motivates me...

monotony is a killer...

I actually enjoy work, but like most of us.. I'd like to be paid more for what I do. Like benyl said, monetary value is a big motivator for some (myself included).. we're a family that's well off, and hopefully I can be like my dad where at 53 he still loves what he does and doesn't ever want to quit. I hope I can be like that when I'm 53.. my retirement goal is 40-45, but who knows what'll happen when I hit that age though.. work my ass of now, and maybe i'll try out for the Senior PGA at 40 if things go well

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by benyl
    trying to get 6 figures in my bank account before I am 30 (without investments, etc...) is what motivates me...

monotony is a killer...
    I Agree! Money is a huge motivating factor. I guess it's all about balancing everything and having the mental toughness to do what you have to do.

It's weird, I have buddies who have graduated with degrees, owing $30K in debt, yet are still unemployed. They seem to have no sense of urgency to do anything?
    I am user #49

Yeah, it's like they are happy being a debt on society.

If one more of my friends loses a job and spends the next month sulking and bitching i'll lose it.

If i was fired today I would be working be the next morning. If not for cash then for my self-esteem. I just dont feel good sitting around wasting my life.

Default Re: Working too much

I'd sleep 10+ hours a day too if given the choice, but I found that if I keep it to 8 or less, I have more energy. Diet and exercise play a huge role in this, so give that some serious thought.

I've been working 70+ hours per week since I was 16 (including school until I was about 19) and I haven't had any bad effects health wise.. I think that if you are careful not to let yourself burn out (ie. take vacations, have outside hobbies) you can do it just fine.

Once I started making money, it stopped being a motivator for me. I find my work really interesting, and that is what motivates me.

Ultimately, if you don't enjoy what you are doing, you'll hate it no matter if you work 30 or 100 hours a week.

Originally posted by max_boost
    Just curious how many of you guys work 70+hours a week? If so, how do you manage? Do you work multiple jobs? Run your own business? How do you stay motivated? Is your job physically demanding? Is it the money you are after? How's it affecting your health? Are you always tired? Stressed? Sore? etc.

For myself, I work 10 hours and sleep 10 hours but I'm still fairly exhausted. Any insights?

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

I work anywhere between 30 and 50 hours a week, and I am on call as well, so that's 24 hours. Something goes wrong and I need to come in at midnight, such is life. Working in National Business Voice and Data repair for TELUS, banks and large corporations cant wait till 9am to get that stuff back online.

Sure it plays a bit of a wierd one on sleep patterns, but I think money as well as job satisfaction plays a large roll in why I do it.

I like what I do, presents a new challenge every day, and has good perks.

I also work another 20 or so unpaid hours, doing portfolio work for my business and researching various areas.

Right now I'm on a rebuild mode, giving up much of my social life and concentrating on work and rebuilding a depleted savings from not having any work for a third of the year. I want to travel, buy a new car, and get back on track with my currently dormant portfolio.

I am a big fan of short term pain for long term gain, but working is not even a pain, I have no problem working 12 hour days.

Generally I get 6-8 hours of sleep.

I certainly do not want to be working till I'm 65, I would like to work my ass off now (I'm 21) and broaden my outlook and skillset at a young age so that I can get things rolling.
    I have the same outlook at Benyl, would like to save a bunch of cake and have a large savings, not including investments by 30. Not much in life that is worthwhile comes easy, and so working hard for the things you want at a young age is what I see most important in the grand scheme of things.
    Travel

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast