Quantcast
speedometer troubles - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: speedometer troubles

Default speedometer troubles

hey guys, the other day i painted the trim around the gauges and this morning on 14th i noticed my speedometer didnt work! it just stays at zero :S. i really hope i didnt fuck it up badly. anyway does anyone know what may have happened..cuz i really dont want to take it to midas and pay them...

My Ride
    98 V70 T5M

The speedo cable likely got disconnected from the back of the cluster. Just take a look at the back and see if it's still plugged in. Look for a black cable that has a square end.

My Ride
    98 V70 T5M

Here's a pic of the back of your cluster (91 civic). The red circle is where the speedo cable plugs in to.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    03' SVT Cobra 10th ann vert

it doesnt plug into anything just shove it in and it will work. they come off easily cuz there is notting holding them in

My Ride
    86 300ZX N/A

you should get a Haynes Repair Manual for your car....best $20 u will ever spend on a car....and it could be just deconnected or bad contact...hopfully its not fryed.........and if it is...good eason to get a after market tack...good luck man
    http://www.americanroyalarts.com/library/sr1.jpg

thank you SO much guys will try right now, btw, is that gauge cluster for sale by any chance? im looking for one with lower km..mine has 270k and im about to do a engine swap...if thats legal...not sure about that but thanks again for the quick replies imma go try it right now

well, i just took my gauge cluster cover off and tried the mess around with the black cable..no luck. i guess ill just have to see whta midas says tomorrow. thanks anyway guys. later.

My Ride
    89 colt gt 4g63

mine did the same thing, the needle for the speedo got pinched between the clear plastic and the actual cluster when i put it together, also check and make sure that the speedo cable is plugged all the way in, it has a clip that holds it to the gauge cluster

pinched hey..ill give that a shot. my clicks dont move at all either and its wierd cuz it was working fine after i painted it all...just yesterday morning decided not to want to work on my way to school...and my engine light comes on now!

My Ride
    98 V70 T5M

The gauge itself might be broken. I know when I took mine out the first time it got broken and the needle would jump around after I hit a good bump, then would go back to normal when the car stopped moving. I just ended up buying a JDM cluster off of Ebay to replace it, then realized that the end of the speedo cable was a little bent. I had replace that as well. Not saying that's the problem, but since you already expressed intrest in buying a new one, you should look around on Ebay for cluster. That's where I got the pic from.

My Ride
    78 1/2ton

dont wanna be an ass but did you ever hear the ol sayin "if it aint broke, dont fix it"

My Ride
    Subaru GR

Originally posted by sabad66
    thank you SO much guys will try right now, btw, is that gauge cluster for sale by any chance? im looking for one with lower km..mine has 270k and im about to do a engine swap...if thats legal...not sure about that but thanks again for the quick replies imma go try it right now
    Yeah...that can always check your ECU to see how many kms are on your engine despite what the gauges sez....

My Ride
    78 civic

Originally posted by 1-Bar

Yeah...that can always check your ECU to see how many kms are on your engine despite what the gauges sez....
    So how does your ecu know how many km are on a civic with a mechanical drive speedo????? On obo 0 ??
    Last edited by 78si; 06-05-2004 at 10:25 PM.

My Ride
    Subaru GR

Originally posted by 78si

So how does your ecu know how many km are on a civic with a mechanical drive speedo????? On obo 0 ??
    shiet my badd...didn't see it was a 91 Civic yo...