Quantcast
motor dying... New Engine questions... engine swap? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: motor dying... New Engine questions... engine swap?

My Ride
    GTI

Default motor dying... New Engine questions... engine swap?

Well, I was going to wait until next year for a swap, and wasn't even going to begin thinking about it until after this summer, but at low revs my motor seems to be getting a little shaky.

One idea for a swap would be for one of the 3.2 litre amg engines out of the slk or c-class, but I don't know about reliability... or how easy it will be to find one. I want something that will get me at least close to 300rwhp reliably, with potential for much more power. The fact that I want to mod it is what's making me kind of shy away from mb engines, which is why I'm not going to limit myself to MB engines.

What would it take for me to put in an engine from another make. What kind of costs would be associated with this?

FYI don't mention the 5.5 litre amg engines, too expensive and it's difficult to even swap the 5.0 litre v8 into my engine bay.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Hakk, to swap in a motor from a different manufacturer you are looking at a LOT of fabrication work man...making different mounts to work with the new engine, and the tranny might not match, so you need a bellhousing adapter...the ECU and wiring for it might be a huge nightmare...and even if it isnt, the guy who will end up doing your wiring and swap is gonna charge you an arm and a leg...

I would stick to swapping in an MB motor...as far as availability I am not too sure, but I know you are a memeber on MB forums pose the same question there too man...and hey even ask Rage, and Zorro they might have a lot more info than I can offer you on the MB front...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    GTI

I posted here because I know I'll be ridiculed for even thinking of putting in a motor from another manufacturer. I know short term the swap for a motor from another company will cost more, but if I mod it the way I want there will probably be long term benefits.