Quantcast
OBDII to OBDI for an s50 b32 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: OBDII to OBDI for an s50 b32

My Ride
    00 328ci/04 m3 (frankenstein)

Default OBDII to OBDI for an s50 b32

Hey Guys,
    i'm planning on buying a 92 or 93 3 series bmw and swapping in the s50 b32 engine (euro spec m3 engine) problem is that engine although extremely powerfull at 321 horses and with the larger disp., (compared to the earlier m3 engine s50 b30) , is OBDII and doesn't respond to modifiactions as well cause of the finicky nature of its OBDII brain. Now i've heard switching an engine that is OBDII to OBDI is a federal offense and honestly i could care less seeing as how the average cop would rather pull me over for a loud stereo or exhaust. I'm wondering if this is possible i know its time consuming and blah blah but is it doable? has anyone done it? or would it be more worthwhile to up the disp on the s50 b30 that is allready OBDI.? another factor is cost and seeing as how expensive the project is in the first place I'm thinking it'd be cheaper to swap the OBDII to OBDI rather than buying larger pistons and boring out the smaller engine. Any help would be awsome guys. Thanks.
    "Excuse me, is your refrigerator running? Because if it is, it probably runs like you... very homosexually."

My Ride
    87 Charger GLHS 2003 HEMI RAM 68 383S barracuda

Question OBDII

Are you sure about the OBDII Im under the impresion obdII started life in 96 not 92 or 93 could be true on imports. Did you read a manual that said OBDII. ??

My Ride

the engine that i want to swap in is OBDII. However there are two possibilities of engines, because 95 and earlier had the s50 b30 which was OBDI but had a lower power rating, didn't have the double VANOS and only 3.0L in disp. The engine that i would ideally like to swap in is OBDII the s50 b32 that offers double VANOS and 3.2L in disp. I know the car is originally OBDI before any of the fancy swapping takes place. what i want to know is if its possible to convert the newer obdII engine to obdI because from what i've heard so far is although you can add the high flowing intake, larger exhaust, and even wilder cams, the obdII cars experience less power gains and often aren't too consistent because of their ecu's.
    "Excuse me, is your refrigerator running? Because if it is, it probably runs like you... very homosexually."

My Ride

Talking Oh now thats it

Hey I found a site from germany that upgrades any euro ride they listed computors for most every euro car made. I will look through my old stuff see if I can find web sight. My brother has an M5 stock 425 horse fastest street car I have ever been in and smooth power its 2002 OBDII.

amoparacer
    If you bring home one more car...
    Did you hear me...
    This better be the last one...
    Are you ever going to finish that one...

My Ride

wow that is awsome definately hook me up with the company that he worked with to tune that because so far what i've heard is obdII bimmers don't respond well to bolt on mod's because their ecu's continually try to correct everything to the factory settings. but if i can get the ecu flashed so that it takes into account the bolt ons then maybe the whole OBDII to OBDI swap wont' be required. but i'd still like to hear if that is possible. come on there has to be some guys with experience on euro cars here. someone here has to know bimmers right? anyone from tunerworks?

My Ride

Default OBDII myth or truth

Search on google M5 upgrades you will see eurosports.tech about 4 down in the search. They did M5 high flow exaust with cross over and pulley change and high flow air filter neted 24 rear wheel HP and 20 foot ponds of tourq. I would try web links from that page to find germans forum for your question.

AMOPARACER
    Did you hear me...

Tuner1 is offline Tunerworks Guru (E36S50B32)
    My Ride
    ///MPower, 4x4, Bianchi & Trek

Better have a fat wallet if you want to buy a good condition S50B32 from a realiable source and even more $$$ if you want to have it installed correctly. There are many hack-job Euro motor conversions out there and they have reliability issues, aside from looking like crap under the hood. This is not a simple B16 or S50US type motor swap.
    The S50B32 is NOT ODBII and you can't run the harness, DME, etc from the S50B30 on the 32. Don't forget to buy the instrument cluster, EWS brain, oil cooler, transmission, drive shaft, differential, half shafts, trailing arms, etc. You will also need something better than 325is brakes to slow it down and some real suspension My point is that most people with ~$30k to spend on an E36 with some power are far better off buying a '97> M3 than trying to convert an earlier car.

Caveat emptor

Rob

My Ride

thanks man. i'm hopin to have this naturally aspirated beast on the road by this coming summer. i've done quite a bit of research and have had two jobs over the past year plus what i'll have from selling my current car so with pretty much most of what should be my uni tuition i think i'll be able to do it, and yea i realise the extent of the swap and that its not just a drop in.
    Last edited by autospeed; 06-11-2004 at 11:10 PM.

My Ride

and i take it that the pages that claimed the s50b32 was obdII have no idea what they're talking about then. so what type of engine management exactly is the euro m3 running. i've heard from a few ppl you guys did the swap into a silver 3 series? any pics or links to that?

My Ride
    E36///M3

way cheaper in the long run to buy a 95 m3 and mod the hell out of it. modding a 3 series is way to much work, and will empty your wallet fast. iv seen 95 m3's for 23k, and you got the handling, power, and an OBD I.
    Introduce your heart to your throat.

My Ride
    '15 GTI

too bad everyone looks for the 95s, theyre snatched off the market so friggin quickly now (at least in canada, theres hundreds in the states for cheap)

ps, do you have a 325 now?

My Ride

Hey I just did a search here and found 9 1995 m3s low price 7100 hi price 21000 most about 12000.

Why are you going to convert your car sounds silly. I will help you get one of these is you want. Got the money??

AMOPARACER
    Did you hear me...

Tuner1 is offline Tunerworks Guru (E36S50B32)
    My Ride
    ///MPower, 4x4, Bianchi & Trek

Originally posted by ///M3
    way cheaper in the long run to buy a 95 m3 and mod the hell out of it. modding a 3 series is way to much work, and will empty your wallet fast.
    ...or bring your money over and I'll sell you my mint condition, fully sorted S50B32 powered E36. You won't find a nicer one

Rob

My Ride

Default Okay the 7000 one had 151000

There is a picture for most of the cars. Go to recycler.com search on advanced for95 M3 check it out for your self.
    Did you hear me...

My Ride
    E36///M3

Originally posted by E36S50B32

...or bring your money over and I'll sell you my mint condition, fully sorted S50B32 powered E36. You won't find a nicer one

Rob
    Can you post some pics Rob. especially the engine bay, sounds nice

thx
    Introduce your heart to your throat.