Quantcast
Beginner Martial Arts advice.... - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Martial Arts advice....

I have one of the more important advanced acting classes on fridays from 7 to 11pm that I can't miss so I will definitely come by in two weeks when the semester is over. Thanks for the help!

BTW the class I watched yesterday was at the 507 36th Ave SW location, not southland

My Ride
    couple 'tings

Hey my new best friend i actually have some good advice for you. I second the hapkido notion. I trained at Master Ki C Yoons in the strip mall on 34th ave and roughly 16-19st for a couple years and honestly if you want something well rounded you should sit for an adult class there. I don't train anymore cause i broke my wrist a while back and just stopped after that but they teach you kicks from taikwondo, punching techiques from boxing as well as karate and judo throws etc. But something else they teach you well is rolls, and how to take falls etc. Which is something i'm sure other disciplines teach but i only know what i have experience in. They also teach techniques for if people grab you certain ways to basically fuck em up..ha so ya thats my 2 cents on the issue.

[edited - my apologies]

Master Langin is VERY friendly and is also passionate about Hapkido (he turned down medical school to teach Hapkido instead) and is ALWAYS willing to answer ANY questions and frequently stays late to help people learn.
    Last edited by sputnik; 09-21-2004 at 02:24 PM.

Wow, thanks for all the very useful info everyone! I will check out Master Langin's class next week, and thanks Sputnik for the shady classes heads up

My Ride
    2004 BMW 745Li,2003 Acura MDX,1998 BMW 325IS

Originally posted by sputnik

click the link...

www.flyingeaglehapkido.com (they are on 19th st NE at 32nd Ave NE)

iight cool thanks a lot man!

My Ride
    08 X5

try ninjitsu, they do a shtload of stuff on weapons throws flexibility and stand up stuff

i duno actually ..thats the only place i could think of that'll give you weapons training like movie style stuff

My Ride
    2002 Acura 1.7EL

I've been taking Bak Mei (White Eyebrow) for years now and highly recommend it. If you are interested, let me know. Our school is in the NE, 23rd Street and 42nd Avenue.

http://www.shaolinwushu.ca/index.htm

I used to be taught by them. I learned many things from them and had fun. Don't know if they till do it anymore since I don't live in Calgary.

I phoned the guy for Shaolin Wushu and he didn't seem like he really wanted to teach me...kinda was a dick to me...LOL

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
    I phoned the guy for Shaolin Wushu and he didn't seem like he really wanted to teach me...kinda was a dick to me...LOL
    Sorry to here that you got that treatment, but the person that taught me was name Jeremey, (probably not the guy that answerd the phone). He came to where I lived and taught me for over 2 years (now back in Calgary). The person that you talked on the phone I don't have a clue who it is.

I wanted to reply on sputniks above comments

This couldn't be farther from the truth sputnik doesn't know what hes talking about. Its really disrespectful and immature to be spreading lies just so people will go to your Master Wade Langin. If you believe your masters good then by all means recommend him but that doesn't mean you talk shit about the other masters in Calgary. Especially when you don't back up what you say with some credibility or proof.

These are the two Masters credentials (sputniks and mine) it doesn't mean a lot but it is perhaps a better reason to choose between the two clubs then what sputnik provided:

Master Langin: 5th Degree Dan in Hapkdio

Master Park: 9th Degree Dan in Hapkido, 5th Dan in Tae Kwon-Do, a 4th Dan in Kum Sul-Do and 4th in Judo

Master Park also personally runs 2 Hapkido locations in Calgary, hardly shady every few saturdays we have big b.b.q's where Master Parks gets to show off his chef skills as well. I've never known such a family atmosphere to be called shady. Sputnik for all this board knows with your anonymous posting your the one with the sexual assualt charges and the link to organized crime (although I don't think any organized crime syndicate would affiliate with an anonymous coward talking shit). For anyone other than sputnik reading this I suggest going around to a few Hapkido clubs and just preview them and decide which would be right for you instead of listening to anonymous 12 year olds.

My Ride
    240sx

i am extremely interested in Wushu for balance and exersice as well as dicsipline. I am wondering if anyone on the boards takes wushu right now so i can come check out a class. I have taken Ninjitsu and i will tell ya now it is not a pretty art. It is all kill moves and bonebreaking techniques as well as grabs and pressure points (it wasnt my cup of tea but i took it for a year and a bit). Flying eagle is great i took a month of that when it was on centre street but my job changed hours so i couldnt pursue so now i want Wushu since it has so much history and i have never taken a Chinese art. 2 korean and one japanese i say it is time to try chinese

My Ride
    240sx

i just wanted to add i trained with master Langin and he was a great, friendly and helpful individual that would not want anything more then to help. Also met master Park and he is also a great guy so you have to make up your own mind just go sit in a class and see what you think.

My Ride
    2001 BMW 320i

There actually is a school just starting up in Aido. They use the same factility as one of the fencing clubs in the NE. I didn't check it out, but one of my co-workers did. She said it is basically Tai-Chi (which she teaches) with a stick. It is very slow, and they don't do any actually cutting in this school.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    WRX

Maybe its because I am caucasian but any flavour of Kung Fu or Karate isn't going to do you any good in the real world.

Go sign up for kickboxing and combine that with a form of jiu-jitsu for groundwork and submissions and your good to go.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by Fuji
    if its mainly for acting..... maybe you should invest in acting classes first??? My assumption would be that you will probably need that more than anything, considering they will provide you with proper instruction for which ever "action role" you may fill.

If its for fitness, who cares try them all its not like its detrimental
    Dude, have you seen a lot of the action movies?? No acting skill required.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

I've taken Tae Kwon Do and Aikido but neither one really appealed to me much. Tae Kwon Do is too showy in such that you really can't use it in real life. Aikido isn't bad but if you're going to use this for "acting", i don't think this is "showy" at all...just basic grabs, throws and locks...not much kicking or punching at all....btw, i also went to calgary aikikai but that was yrs ago...lol, they used to be located in the industrial area by blackfoot trail but someone mentioned that they're in southland now? *shrugs* well g'luck!
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

My Ride
    Evo X GSR

^^^I didn't know u did all that kinda stuff. We should spar sometime. Then i can get back at u for whipping me with ur rsx.

And yah like nj2_types said Taekwondo is really good for flash if u want it for acting or wushu which is what jet li does. Taekwondo is really easy to learn never tried wushu though so im not sure about that one.
    Last edited by joseph; 07-17-2004 at 01:00 AM.
    Its not the hand you're dealt it's how you play your cards.

lol yea i did a couple of em...didn't last long w/ tae kwon do as i didnt like showy things; wanted to keep low key w/ it...lol....so i just got lazy w/ it....then w/ aikido i got a back injury lol...tried gettin back to it but just not enough time on my hands...haha..maybe i'll try muai thai next time...lol...if i dont get lazy ahhaha
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

My Ride
    You Crazy

90% of the martial arts coordinated footwork scenes you see in the movies are Tae Kwon Do. Take it from a traditional master like JJ Lee here in town, and your form will be nicer then the more common "olympic" form which is more like kick boxing/tournament style.

However, there is no weapons training there.

If you just wanna learn to beat the snot out of someone, forget martial farts, and learn to box....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast