Quantcast
Damn old people - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Damn old people

Default Damn old people

Today I was driving the 200sx and I nearly got into a head on collision. I was making a right hand turn, and since the 200sx can take corners real tight, a lot of the time, I just don't look right before turning, just left, then make the turn (though I really should look right) Today I was turning out of a parking lot, and I wanted to make a quick right turn to get in front of a big truck that was coming (lots of time to turn and speed up) but as I turned right, then looked forward I had to slam on the brakes and I was nearly bumper to bumper with some old person driving a big intrepid. They were COMPLETELY in the wrong lane. Anyway, If things had been moving a little quicker, or that old person didn't stop, would I get any of the blame at all since I didn't look right. I mean obviously you souldn't have to look right cause no one should be driving on the left side of the road, but would I have gotten part of the blame for not looking right anyways?
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

My Ride
    a nice pair of and1's

i think it'd be his fault. cause he was driving on the wrong side of the road. but then again i'm not too sure, at least nothing happened, you should be happy about that.

My Ride
    APR Audi S4

LOL -- glad no one was hurt. Have to remember that thoughts and actions take longer to leave their brain dude... LOL

Peter

i think thats a tough call, arent parking lot accidents usually both ppl's fault?

It wasn't actually in the parking lot, I was turning onto a street. I don't see how it could be my fault though, fact of the matter is that she was on the wrong side of the road

Fuck, honestly, I'm one of the last people you'll ever find generalizing groups of people and stereotyping, but THE MAJORITY OF OLD PEOPLE SUCK AT DRIVING!!!

My grandparents drive 20 below the speed limit quite a lot of the time, and take forever to react to things, they also take forever to get up to the speed limit, and preach all the time on the road about how everyone else is an idiot. And they tell me how I acellerate too quickly they're still better drivers than most old people but I seriously get scared in thier stupid caprice and 3/4 ton truck, and I feel like yelling at them sometimes
    Last edited by T5_X; 10-24-2002 at 07:10 PM.

My Ride
    AI Servo

Originally posted by Ranger_X31
    THE MAJORITY OF OLD PEOPLE SUCK AT DRIVING!!!

That's because when people get old, they lose their eyesight, hand-eye coordination and don't think as fast/good.

My Ride
    a wrx.

dude, it doesnt matter who u put the blame on...the fact of hte matter is that you have the ability to prevent an accident by looking right before u turn. so what if it was that old mans fault for being in the wrong lane? so what if he is to blame? u are still in an accident.

when u are on the road its not enough to drive properly so that things arent your fault. u also have to look out for other stupid drivers. this is called defensive driving.

will if you crashed my sisters car shed be pissed! haha
    http://www.sfu.ca/~joh/teg/fastlane.gif

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

http://maddox.xmission.com/bah_old_people.html

hahaha.

how is the daytona comming man?
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

The police usually place both driver's at fault in a parking lot accident.
    I know you don't smoke weed. I know this. But I'm gonna git you high today. 'cause it's Friday, you ain't got no job, and you ain't got shit to do!

Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
    dude, it doesnt matter who u put the blame on...the fact of hte matter is that you have the ability to prevent an accident by looking right before u turn. so what if it was that old mans fault for being in the wrong lane? so what if he is to blame? u are still in an accident.

when u are on the road its not enough to drive properly so that things arent your fault. u also have to look out for other stupid drivers. this is called defensive driving.
    I realize that, that's why I said that I should have looked. I didn't mean to imply that I didn't do anything wrong, I was kinda pissed off when I wrote the original post. It's a little hard to be a perfect driver 100% of the time, forgetting to do little things that make you a very safe, defensive driver. Being a defensive driver means you go above the minimum rules of the road and allow a buffer zone so that you can avoid an accident which someone else is about to cause. I try to be a defensive driver, but I've only been driving 2 years. I'm probably one of the safer drivers you will encounter on the road (never follow close, never speed unless I'm in a heavy flow of traffic where the average speed in which people are travelling is above the speed limit etc) but I'm still far from being a perfect driver, as I just need more experience and further maturity, as well as always carrying a consistant attitude when driving. I'm sure you are also far from being a perfect driver.

I asked who would be at fault from a legal standpoint. Does the blame get layed on the person who failed to make a 100% safe and defensive right turn, or the person in the wrong fucking lane!?

Also, I want to know if anyone else thinks that there should be stricter laws not only starting out drivers, but also older drivers. Fact of the matter is that many of them are a hazard on the road. You can't expect every single person on the road to be a 100% defensive driver to compensate for people who blatantly drive dangerously. Remember, driving isn't a right, even though many people seem to think it is.
    Last edited by T5_X; 10-24-2002 at 11:55 PM.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

i think manual driver tests every 5 years for everyone should be required.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Originally posted by finboy
    http://maddox.xmission.com/bah_old_people.html

hahaha.

how is the daytona comming man?
    LOL. Sometimes, I feel like that guy, only not quite as sour or hateful I totally know what he's talking about with the old guy in class. Any young university student hates old people in classes. They always make the stupidest remarks and ask the stupidest questions and are always making dumb comments on everything in class. Its so annoying. Like a TLF said in the U of L paper a few weeks ago:
    "when someone asks stupid questions in class, we should be allowed to throw our books at them"

I haven't been able to do any major repairs on the daytona yet cause I don't have anywhere to work on it. It needs a new head gasket, clutch and a partial rebuild. Electronics on it are wonky too Its probably a good thing though that I haven't been able to do anything major. I've already spent well over 500 bucks so far this month on tools and parts
    how's your 'tona doing?

My Ride
    '08 Mitsubishi Lancer, '97 GMC Jimmy

My grandparents drive 20 below the speed limit quite a lot of the time, and take forever to react to things, they also take forever to get up to the speed limit
    I know exactly what you mean man!...My Grandma was in Town this Summer, and i was Scared driving with her in the Rental car! She was going 85-90 on Deerfoot, and was saying "why is everyone here such Crazy Drivers?" because they were passing her at 100-120!!! then We went to Eau Claire! DO LET OLD PEOPLE DRIVE IN CITYS THEY ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH!! It was Horrible, i think it took 50 minutes to get home! I normally do it in 25.
    "Car Manufacturers give us a well engineered basic car but leave it's real development to us."

My Ride
    a wrx.

I realize that, that's why I said that I should have looked. I didn't mean to imply that I didn't do anything wrong, I was kinda pissed off when I wrote the original post. It's a little hard to be a perfect driver 100% of the time, forgetting to do little things that make you a very safe, defensive driver. Being a defensive driver means you go above the minimum rules of the road and allow a buffer zone so that you can avoid an accident which someone else is about to cause. I try to be a defensive driver, but I've only been driving 2 years. I'm probably one of the safer drivers you will encounter on the road (never follow close, never speed unless I'm in a heavy flow of traffic where the average speed in which people are travelling is above the speed limit etc) but I'm still far from being a perfect driver, as I just need more experience and further maturity, as well as always carrying a consistant attitude when driving. I'm sure you are also far from being a perfect driver.

I asked who would be at fault from a legal standpoint. Does the blame get layed on the person who failed to make a 100% safe and defensive right turn, or the person in the wrong fucking lane!?

Also, I want to know if anyone else thinks that there should be stricter laws not only starting out drivers, but also older drivers. Fact of the matter is that many of them are a hazard on the road. You can't expect every single person on the road to be a 100% defensive driver to compensate for people who blatantly drive dangerously. Remember, driving isn't a right, even though many people seem to think it is.
    yea, haha i just wanted a chance to rant about how it is really hard to be a safe driver and how not many ppl realize that.

form a legal standpoint, its gota be the dude in the wrong lanes fault. and yes, ppl should have mandatory drivers tests every few years to keep their licenses. i imagine the logistics of that would be difficult tho

Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
    yea, haha i just wanted a chance to rant about how it is really hard to be a safe driver and how not many ppl realize that.
    This is true. Many ppl think that they're great drivers, but it's extremely hard to be one. I am most of the time, but I have a very hard time keeping it consistant, and I tend to be overly anal and get pissed off at ppl not following the rules, then lose concentration, also, I can get a little quick and reckless around the corners and off the stoplight when I'm driving a new, fun car that I want to know the limits of, or when there's a new mod in the truck... just things I need to work on

And yah, though I do think that there should be mandatory tests every few years and stricter laws for young and old ppl, I don't know how well it would go over... making the system like that would infuriate many, many ppl and would probably cost a lot of time and money. I also think that governments should make stricter laws for auto safety in manufacturing, there are tons of vehicles out there that are unnecessarily unsafe. It's just a fact that SUVs take much longer to stop, roll over and handle like shit (unless you slam that bitch to the ground with huge 4 whl disks and sway bars )

Sorry for the soapbox rant
    Last edited by T5_X; 10-25-2002 at 12:49 AM.