Quantcast
alberta insurance reforms going through as of october - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: alberta insurance reforms going through as of october

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Default alberta insurance reforms going through as of october

just saw it on global, reforms will be in affect as of october 1st.

-minor injury capped at $4000
    -premiums for young drivers can drop by up to 75%
    -add on 25% for every claimed at fault accident

i might be able to drive while going to school, SWEEEET
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Apex Predator

I just saw this as well. So how soon will it be until we actually see our insurance payments go down??

-edit- n/m its already mentioned.
    Last edited by NickGT; 06-21-2004 at 06:17 PM.

"She takes premium dude! PREMIUM!!! DUDE!!!!"

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

anything will be better than 340/month
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Nissan 300ZX NA (Z31)

Finally, sick of paying $190 a month for a 1986 Nissan. Non-Turbo to boot.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Subaru GR

I'd luv to pay $340/month...get this, I pay $490/month. But that's wicked its going down, any amount sounds good to me
    Psalm 144(1): Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Wait till you get into a not at fault accident and get injured. Or you turn 25 and see higher premiums than the old days. Or you get into a not at fault accident. You'll be beggin' for the old system back.

Kinda sucks for the old fuckers like myself that paid thru the nose for 9 years before getting good rates at 25. I think I paid about $50k in premiums during those years. Now my premiums will go up to make up for all the young punks that can afford insurance and smash shit up .
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am...
    My Ride
    That Blue Car

Originally posted by rage2
    Wait till you get into a not at fault accident and get injured. Or you turn 25 and see higher premiums than the old days. Or you get into a not at fault accident. You'll be beggin' for the old system back.

Kinda sucks for the old fuckers like myself that paid thru the nose for 9 years before getting good rates at 25. I think I paid about $50k in premiums during those years. Now my premiums will go up to make up for all the young punks that can afford insurance and smash shit up .
    #1 - its a 4 grand cap on soft tissue injuries...

#2 its people with attitudes like you that make it so damn expensive in the first place, beleive it ot not, there are some younger people out there who are responsable.

My Ride
    Model S

so if you know how much it sucks, why would you want all of us to suffer?

My Ride
    335i

Now my premiums will go up to make up for all the young punks that can afford insurance and smash shit up .
    Thank you. You're very kind
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Model S

I actually dont see what youre complaining about, as I understand it, youll be saving money too. First off, everyone saves 5% across the board. Then for drivers with 8+ years, you are not on the grid system, youre in the "competitive" system:

http://www.autoinsurance.gov.ab.ca/belowgrid.html

My interpretation of that is that 'good' and 'experienced' drivers wont be getting screwed

My Ride
    Pathfinder

Originally posted by 1-Bar
    I'd luv to pay $340/month...get this, I pay $490/month. But that's wicked its going down, any amount sounds good to me
    hell i'd even kill for that $546/month for full coverage ( i have a loan out for it) on a 90 teg GS

My Ride
    03 Mustang

I dont know, the last time something like this happened the insurance companies were plenty pissed. When they evenually froze the rates, my broker told me that since this happened, if I get "one" ticket they would be more then happy to cancel my insurance.

And now something like this?I can't wait to see the reactions

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by Davide
    I dont know, the last time something like this happened the insurance companies were plenty pissed. When they evenually froze the rates, my broker told me that since this happened, if I get "one" ticket they would be more then happy to cancel my insurance.

And now something like this?I can't wait to see the reactions
    Doesnt sound like an option:

http://www.autoinsurance.gov.ab.ca/questions.html

"Insurers will no longer be able to cancel or refuse coverage on the basis of age, gender and marital status. In addition, an “all comers” rule will ensure an insurer will provide insurance to anyone who applies."

My Ride
    2017 Highlander XLE, 09 WRX STi

565/month full coverage, turn 25 in december....so does that i mean i will get cheaper still or am i screwed?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Gonthro
    #2 its people with attitudes like you that make it so damn expensive in the first place, beleive it ot not, there are some younger people out there who are responsable.
    How does my attitude make it so expensive?

I was a responsible driver, zero accidents between 16 and 25. I still paid thru the nose because a lot of my peers weren't responsible. The problem with the system is that with 75% drop in premiums for young drivers, the money to pay out those claims has to come from somewhere. The 16-25 group aren't gonna all of a sudden stop having accidents. In fact, accident rates would go up because there would be MORE 16-25 drivers now that it's affordable. Even if you're a responsible under 25 driver, there are still TONS of irresponsible ppl in that age range. Stats don't lie. Money has to come from somewhere... and that somewhere is the over 25 crowd.

As for soft tissue damage, when I got rear ended, I spent about $2k in physio just so I can do lapping days again. I was in so much pain, after 2 laps on the roadcourse I had to come in to ice down my neck. So as much as people wanna say soft tissue == scam, wait till it happens to you. It's not a fun ordeal.
    Originally posted by googe
    so if you know how much it sucks, why would you want all of us to suffer?
    Because your savings are gonna be paid for from 25 to 80 (or whenever u stop driving). Don't bitch at me when you're paying a lot more to buy a nice sports car. I'm gonna miss my $900/year full coverage insurance on my AMG that's for sure.
    Originally posted by googe
    I actually dont see what youre complaining about, as I understand it, youll be saving money too. First off, everyone saves 5% across the board. Then for drivers with 8+ years, you are not on the grid system, youre in the "competitive" system:

http://www.autoinsurance.gov.ab.ca/belowgrid.html

My interpretation of that is that 'good' and 'experienced' drivers wont be getting screwed
    Well, I'm getting heavily discounted because I have a group rate, as well as a long clean record. I pay $300/year for PLPD insurance. The new system (rolled back 5%) will be in the $450 range. Plus, comprehensive coverage is NOT regulated, and so the loss in $ due to higher payouts will be made up in that area. So, for the average joe just buying PLPD on a beater with normal rate, he'll get a 5% saving. Buy anything new that needs comprehensive, good luck.

Money doesn't come from nowhere... it's impossible to drop all the rates across the board and expect the insurance companies to not lose money.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    FJC, S30

so does this mean my insurance will go up? ah fuck! im paying drit cheap for full cover with my grandma mobile(2.5 ts) lol i think i might as well buy a new car if i have to pay for higher premiums.
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

I'm glad this will be changed by the time i pay for next years insurance. Theres no way a 25+ person driving an AMG should pay $900/year and a 21 year old should pay $3800 to drive a civic . And no i haven't been in an accident.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by ~$eanith~
    I'm glad this will be changed by the time i pay for next years insurance. Theres no way a 25+ person driving an AMG should pay $900/year and a 21 year old should pay $3800 to drive a civic . And no i haven't been in an accident.
    At one time I was paying over $7000/year on the 944. So we're even.

I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am...
    My Ride
    That Blue Car

As for soft tissue damage, when I got rear ended, I spent about $2k in physio just so I can do lapping days again. I was in so much pain, after 2 laps on the roadcourse I had to come in to ice down my neck. So as much as people wanna say soft tissue == scam, wait till it happens to you. It's not a fun ordeal.
    that $4K cap is for "pain and stuffering". Medical expenses, lost wages and vehicle damages are on top of that.

My Ride
    FJC, S30

Originally posted by Gonthro

that $4K cap is for "pain and stuffering". Medical expenses, lost wages and vehicle damages are on top of that.
    dude some pain dont go away. for sake of argument, are you saying that 4g's will make all that pain go away? cuz if it was me and i was goin to be stuck with pain that comes every once in awhile i would not accpet that bullshit, thats a slap in the face
    Submaker.Illest.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast