Quantcast
Anybody use nitrogen in their tires? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Anybody use nitrogen in their tires?

Default Anybody use nitrogen in their tires?

I haven't heard too much about it. Anyone?

Can I get them in Calgary? Is it possible for street usage?
    x = way too fast
    y = bump in the road
    z = oh shit

x + y = z

My Ride
    Turbod Honda

why would i want to put this in my tires?

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

Air is like 78% nitrogen, I hope no one is paying to put nitrogen in their tires because its available free at every gas station

There wouldn't be an advantage to upping or lowering that percentage of nitrogen.

This sounds as hokey as the xenon gas in filament bulbs BS.
    Last edited by 1badPT; 06-23-2004 at 02:07 AM.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1badPT
    Air is like 78% nitrogen, I hope no one is paying to put nitrogen in their tires because its available free at every gas station

There wouldn't be an advantage to upping or lowering that percentage of nitrogen.

This sounds as hokey as the xenon gas in filament bulbs BS.
    [/QUOTE

There is some benefit - race teams and trucking co's use nitorgen in their tires. Do a search on google to find out why.

The average driver probably wouldn't notice any benefit though - at least not enough to go source the stuff. We have bottles of Nitrogen at work for leak testing purposes - and I could use that, but I dont bother (the shop air is closer to the door)

ecstasy_civic is offline MMA guru, but still rage2's bitch
    My Ride
    08 Si

Airplanes use tires filled with nitrogen, helps with the pressure loss in air and when on the ground.

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

Originally posted by stockEK

There is some benefit - race teams and trucking co's use nitorgen in their tires. Do a search on google to find out why.

The average driver probably wouldn't notice any benefit though - at least not enough to go source the stuff. We have bottles of Nitrogen at work for leak testing purposes - and I could use that, but I dont bother (the shop air is closer to the door)
    I'm aware of Nitrogen's use in racing, but as a car mod is what I took his question to mean. Nitrogen is used by race teams because its easier to keep nitrogen "dry" (in essence you can synthesize pure nitrogen gas easily which will not contain any water vapour). Air has water vapour. The idea is that water vapour expands a lot when the tires heat up and that could cause a change in how the car handles. This only has an effect on driving extremes like Nascar where the rubber is constantly at its limit of grip (making for an extremely hot tire).

He's asking about a street application and there is none. If you're tires are getting that hot on the street, you should have your license taken away.

That's why I said it sounds hokey to me. Its the same as those halogen bulbs with xenon gas-xenon gas only has an effect on bulbs without filament (HID bulbs). Filament bulbs benefit only from halogen gases. Xenon does have its place, but not in filament bulbs. Nitrogen has a place too, but not in your tires.
    Last edited by 1badPT; 06-23-2004 at 11:09 AM.

It is not hokey - there is some benefit. But as I said, the benefit on the street for your average driver is very minimal (probably not noticeable)

Trucking companies run their rigs on the street - and it is benificial and measurable because they put on huge amount of miles. The average driver does not.

Originally posted by 1badPT

Its the same as those halogen bulbs with xenon gas-xenon gas only has an effect on bulbs without filament (HID bulbs). Filament bulbs benefit only from halogen gases. Xenon does have its place, but not in filament bulbs. Nitrogen has a place too, but not in your tires.

It is true that xenon has become a buzzword with HIDs and is perhaps overused or misused by marketing depts..

but Xenon in a filament bulb is performing the exact same function as halogen. Halogen is a generic term for a group of non-metallic elements (think there is 5 or 6, I forget..)

Xenon is purported to be better than Halogen types in certain applications. It would depend on size, wattage ect.. Xenon is more expensive, so its benefits may actually outweith the extra cost involved.

Some filament bults which contain xenon are actually labelled as halogens. Not sure if this is scientifically "correct" but, halogen is not a specific element, so it may depend on it's exact definition.

Default nitrogen=convenient

When I raced off-road, I used nitrogen in my tires only because it was handy. Rebuildable, revalveable shocks (Fox) used nitrogen to pressurize them (as mentioned above by 1badPT, it's nice and dry), so there was always a bottle around at the track.

Also used the nitrogen to run impact gun at the track -- just because it was handy.

Sometimes I even used the bottle in the shop when the impact gun wouldn't budge something on the 125 or so psi the compressor made. Just crank up the regulator on the nitrogen bottle to 190 or so. That'll spin off that big nut holding the flywheel on yer Mazda rotary!

My Ride
    Turbod Honda

LOL, I just hoot Nitrogen, i use nitrogen mixed with an oxide to NOS up my van.

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

Originally posted by stockEK

It is true that xenon has become a buzzword with HIDs and is perhaps overused or misused by marketing depts..

but Xenon in a filament bulb is performing the exact same function as halogen. Halogen is a generic term for a group of non-metallic elements (think there is 5 or 6, I forget..)

Xenon is purported to be better than Halogen types in certain applications. It would depend on size, wattage ect.. Xenon is more expensive, so its benefits may actually outweith the extra cost involved.

Some filament bults which contain xenon are actually labelled as halogens. Not sure if this is scientifically "correct" but, halogen is not a specific element, so it may depend on it's exact definition.
    All filaments in filament bulbs are made of tungsten which when heated very hot (ie when they are on) can vapourize. Halogens turn that tungsten vapour into a salt that forms back on the filament thus "rebuilding" the filament with its own burnoff. Xenon is an inert gas-it does not react at all to any element or compound including tungsten. So in a filament bulb, the xenon gas is just taking up space.

Where xenon does play a role is in HID bulbs (no filament). In a HID bulb, electricity is arced through the gas and as the arc passes through the gas, it will give off light of a certain color. Xenon and Sodium-Mercury both give off the desired white / blue light that is ideal for driving.

So while xenon is very important in a HID bulb, it plays no role whatsoever in a filament bulb, except to increase sales.

My Ride
    GT TDi

i'd put helium in my tires faster then nitrogen, should shed off some weight, no? lol
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

My Ride
    Turbod Honda

At one time they had shoes with helium in them

My Ride
    1990 Prelude SR, NEW JDM B20A, booyah!

Lol Helium like just barely lifts a baloon, oh yeah its gonna do something good for me, 170lb guy.. or my 2700lb car!!

My Ride
    2002 SVT Focus

No , but I if I add ten "Nitrogen" stickers,will that be the same ??
    11 F-150 Supercrew FX4 5.0

My Ride
    E36///M3

waste of money, and totally unnecessary for street use.
    Introduce your heart to your throat.

My Ride
    gtr, 07 rr 600

nitrogen dosen't expand/contract so much with the changing tire temp, so with a racing car they can better fine tune the pressure and not have to adjust when the tires get heated up. for street driven cars or amature race cars? zip zero zilch no affects or benifits, that would be noticable. we change our pressure at the track by like +/- 5 psi sometimes, pro race teams are more like +/- .25 psi

Is cost only $30 usd to have your tires fill in nitrogen down in L.A.

Last edited by CalgaryB5; 07-03-2004 at 05:59 PM.
    x = way too fast
    y = bump in the road
    z = oh shit

x + y = z

My Ride
    IS300, 335, highlander, rentals?!

Anybody using dihydrogen monoxide?

sorry, not in a serious mood.

My Ride
    Turbod Honda

Originally posted by whatthe
    Anybody using dihydrogen monoxide?