Quantcast
Turbo doesn't work? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Turbo doesn't work?

Default Turbo doesn't work?

Hi all,

I just got a 04 WRX and I've been breaking the engine in for a few weeks, during the break in period, I've been keeping the car running under 4,000 rpm for 98% of the time, now I have about 1800 kms on it, as the owner manaul said, I beleived now I can push the car a bit harder. However, I've been tring to get the turbo to kicks in, but it doesn't seems to work. When I step hard on the gas, yes, the car goes faster, but not that same g force feeling that a turbo should give you.....

Does anyone have the same experience with their WRX, or it is just that the engine or the turbo not break in enough????

Or is there any sercert trick to get the turbo to kick in???

Please Help?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

What you feel is mostly change in acceleration rate, and with the WRX having a small turbo, the powerband is quite flat, so the acceleration rate is flat. It's a good thing... kinda like riding in a Viper, it doesn't feel fast but it is.

If you wanna feel it, get a boost controller, turn the boost down under 4000rpm, and let the boost kick in above that. You'll be slower, but it'll feel a lot faster because it'll go from no power to a lot of power quite dramatically.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    M5 Competition

What is your boost gauge reading?

my car is competely stock, except I just got a tubo timer installed. So I don't have any reading of the boost.

But I mean when I was test driving a WRX from the dealership compare to my own, it's feels like two different cars.

Usually when the turbo kicks in, you can hear some noise from the turbo sounds like it is spinning very fast, and the air are being suck into the engine. But I don't hear any of that on my car.

Fuji is offline Track Events Co-ordinator
    My Ride
    cars

WRX doesn't really give you any kind of kick or suck you head back at all :P buy a boost guage install it and make sure it makes boost

if a wrx is not making any boost it will be slower than a stock civic. 2.0L 7.9:1 compression ratio... you get the idea. like others have siad... you can't feel it "kick in" because the boost threshold is very low in the powerband. it spools by what.. 2000rpm. lol.

I find that the WRX feels really weak, and yes it doesn't really have the turbo feeling. Although the turbo is small, it really doesn't do anything till 4k rpm.

Do the WRX limit boost in the first 2 gears or something? That might make it feel slower.

If it feels different than the car you tested, maybe you should get it checked out.

the wrx ecu does limit the boost in certain situations. but i have no idea if it limits by the gear. also if the performance doesn't feel up to where it is suppose to you could try a ecu reset too.

My Ride
    98 gsr

must be your turbo timer you have to install it right, bring it back for double check

a turbo timer has nothing to do with the boost

My Ride
    04 WRX Wagon

You should notice the turbo from 3500rpm, it is noticeable, as there is lag before that. I followed the same break in as you and had no problems. I really loved feeling the power of the car up hills especially going up Bow Tr from sarcee, the car just felt strong pulling up that hill, like it had power to burn.
    I miss that burst of power from my O4 now but my 05 turbo outback fills the void, the power is smoother with no lag thanks to the vvt. Try test driving another WRX from the dealer.

My Ride
    98 gsr

Originally posted by 2000impreza
    a turbo timer has nothing to do with the boost
    Yeah but last time my friend install a turbo timer to his new supra and after that the turbo wont boost n e more and he bring it to a dealer and find out his twin turbo screw up. I think he have to rebuild or get a new 1 can't remember

Originally posted by GT3

Yeah but last time my friend install a turbo timer to his new supra and after that the turbo wont boost n e more and he bring it to a dealer and find out his twin turbo screw up. I think he have to rebuild or get a new 1 can't remember
    that makes no sense at all. installing a turbo timer involves splicing into 3 wires. its even easier if you buy a plug and play harness. unless you buddy wired it in worng i doubt it could screw up anything. even if it was wired in COMPLETELY worng how could it screw up a turbo? never heard that one before. lol.

the wrx ecu does limit the boost in certain situations. but i have no idea if it limits by the gear. also if the performance doesn't feel up to where it is suppose to you could try a ecu reset too.

Can I get the ECU reset myself,, or I must get it done by the dealership?

My Ride
    98 gsr

that makes no sense at all. installing a turbo timer involves splicing into 3 wires. its even easier if you buy a plug and play harness. unless you buddy wired it in worng i doubt it could screw up anything. even if it was wired in COMPLETELY worng how could it screw up a turbo? never heard that one before. lol.
    I have no idea man Just wait till this guy find out wat happen

Originally posted by six stars

I miss that burst of power from my O4 now but my 05 turbo outback fills the void, the power is smoother with no lag thanks to the vvt. Try test driving another WRX from the dealer.
    there is no such thing as "vvt" on a subaru motor. the subaru variable cam timing system is called AVCS.

Originally posted by yobi5888

Can I get the ECU reset myself,, or I must get it done by the dealership?
    take the negitive terminal off the battery and let the car sit for awhile... plug it back in and your good to go.

My Ride
    KA-T S13

take the negitive terminal off the battery and let the car sit for awhile... plug it back in and your good to go.
    Usually one or two minutes is good enough.

Originally posted by Scat

Usually one or two minutes is good enough.

I heard it should be closer to 15min.

Never know different cars=different procedures.

My Ride
    Stock 240sx fastback SE

15 mins, good god.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast