Quantcast
Finance Concentration. Anyone? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Finance Concentration. Anyone?

My Ride
    firebird

Default Finance Concentration. Anyone?

Well I have come to a bit of a crossroads at the UofC. I just got into Haskayne for my third year and I am wondering which concentration I should do.

Right now I am in BPMA (Business Process Management and Analysis: Combo of MGIS Management Information Systems and Operations Management).

But I am seriously thinking of doing a finance degree.

Does anyone have any suggestions here?

Job Prospects?

Type of Work (Issuing IPOs, Corporate Finance Etc.)?

Pay?

Website of info?

Any comments are welcome.....Thanks
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    BMW E46/R6

I'm a double degree in finance, and economics. If it helps I was looking through the 2002 BComm graduate survey, and Finance was second to PLM for highest salary amongst BComm grads.

My Ride
    Evo X GSR

Which was the highest one?
    Its not the hand you're dealt it's how you play your cards.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

PLM

Petroleum and Land Management. That's what I'm in

Fuji is offline Track Events Co-ordinator
    My Ride
    cars

Haskayne is for LOOSERS!!!!!!! Plus it is a bunch of BS!

My Ride
    firebird

Originally posted by ShOwOfF
    I'm a double degree in finance, and economics. If it helps I was looking through the 2002 BComm graduate survey, and Finance was second to PLM for highest salary amongst BComm grads.
    What kind of work are you currently in and what kind of work are you looking to get into?

Originally posted by davidI
    PLM

Petroleum and Land Management. That's what I'm in
    I was also thinking of this degree. It looks awesome but I did not like how specific the designation is.

Originally posted by Fuji
    Thanks for your input idiot.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

haskayne is a bunch of BS...i graduated with a BComm in finance from there and it got me no where.

do engineering or soemthing useful

My Ride
    TRD Pro

For the most part, any degree can get you the same job. (Friends w/ B.Comm in General getting accounting/finance jobs)What the degree means is that you can learn and be taught at a higher level. Certain degrees will be more useful then others when applying for certain jobs, but what it comes down to is you. The odd time you can get a job strictly based on your actual GPA and other related items, but unless they like you as a person, you don't have a hope. For the most part companies are looking for well rounded individuals.

My Ride
    firebird

Originally posted by R-Audi
    For the most part, any degree can get you the same job. (Friends w/ B.Comm in General getting accounting/finance jobs)What the degree means is that you can learn and be taught at a higher level. Certain degrees will be more useful then others when applying for certain jobs, but what it comes down to is you. The odd time you can get a job strictly based on your actual GPA and other related items, but unless they like you as a person, you don't have a hope. For the most part companies are looking for well rounded individuals.
    Well I think for the most part that is true but there are three degrees in Haskayne that teach specific skill sets.

1-Finance
    2-Accounting
    3-Petroleum Land Management

That is why I was thinking of going into something a bit more specific rather than general.

Thanks for your input though....BTW I saw your car at the Esso in Mckenzie a few weeks ago and it looks incredible. I think Jared is jealous.... (He is ordering some rims from tunerworks for the A4).
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    "Four f***ing wheels and a seat!"

How is Petroleum Land Management? The description of the concentration in the BComm brochure kind of steered me away from it.. I interpreted "experienced industry people teach petroleum land management courses in the evening" as "people who can't teach will deliver the courses at inconvenient times".

I'm doing a finance/econ degree as well..not to sure what to do afterwards... considering more school.

Everyone keeps saying that grades matter more for finance that for any other concentration...not like that's an issue for me though .

My Ride
    cars

Originally posted by Mckenzie

What kind of work are you currently in and what kind of work are you looking to get into?

I was also thinking of this degree. It looks awesome but I did not like how specific the designation is.

Thanks for your input idiot.

Ya no problem. When you gradute from Haskayne with 3.8GPA in your major and become a TA you can call me an idiot.

Ya no problem. When you gradute from Haskayne with 3.8GPA in your major and become a TA you can call me an idiot.
    you guys need to accept that fact that a mgmt degree is BS. it teaches you no usable skills, nothing specific that will allow you to make any money anyways. unless of course u get into corpfi but then say good bye to your life.

i didnt want to admit it at first either. but its a fact, a BComm is garbage, everyone and their dog has a BComm.

My Ride
    cars

Originally posted by bigboom

you guys need to accept that fact that a mgmt degree is BS. it teaches you no usable skills, nothing specific that will allow you to make any money anyways. unless of course u get into corpfi but then say good bye to your life.

i didnt want to admit it at first either. but its a fact, a BComm is garbage, everyone and their dog has a BComm.
    Pretty much. Thats what i said the first time. Take it from someone who has gone there. I find it extermely amusing how every freaking homo is a wannabe mgmt major or gets in graduates in the middle of the group and does nothing in regards to what they wanted. At the end of the day you are a beggar still and beggars can't be choosers haha

My Ride
    E90 335i

Hell, I have an econ degree and do a pure finance job. There's always many ways to skin a cat!
    George likes his Kung Pao spicy!

yep.. I'm a bcomm major.. everyone and their dog has one.. sort of like a computer science degree a couple years back.. only reason you need to specialize is for designations or the line of work that actually requires you to know the term/process/etc.

3.8 GPA to become a TA.. that's classic.. reminds me of a TA I had at the U of C

My Ride
    cars

Originally posted by Shaolin
    yep.. I'm a bcomm major.. everyone and their dog has one.. sort of like a computer science degree a couple years back.. only reason you need to specialize is for designations or the line of work that actually requires you to know the term/process/etc.

3.8 GPA to become a TA.. that's classic.. reminds me of a TA I had at the U of C
    Really, I don't see what is so classic about it.

You dont need a 3.8 to be a TA. Prof just asks you to be one.

no, I mean 3.8 GPA to become a TA as a classic as in agreeing with you, not disagreeing with you

My Ride
    335i

Just curious, what did you guys take?
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    cars

Originally posted by Shaolin
    no, I mean 3.8 GPA to become a TA as a classic as in agreeing with you, not disagreeing with you
    o my bad

Originally posted by Weapon_R

Just curious, what did you guys take?
    i did my concentration in finance. if i was to do it all over again im pretty sure i would do PLM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast