Quantcast
Talk about bait and switch and Memory Express - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Talk about bait and switch and Memory Express

My Ride
    2009 STi

Originally posted by Gonthro

according to thier website they do.

They technically aren't allowed to. Visa/Mastercard would revoke their merchant accounts if they get caught doing that. Stores aren't allowed to charge more for credit card purchases versus cash...

My Ride
    You Crazy

No, but they are allowed to discount for cash purchases

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by tulit

They technically aren't allowed to. Visa/Mastercard would revoke their merchant accounts if they get caught doing that. Stores aren't allowed to charge more for credit card purchases versus cash...
    They have a bit of a loophole, oemdepot and memory express both do it. They say regular price is XXX.XX (3% higher than the other) and the cash discount is 3%.

Memory express has on their site somewhere "all prices reflect cash discount of 3%" instead
    Last edited by googe; 07-06-2004 at 11:23 AM.

I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am...
    My Ride
    That Blue Car

Originally posted by googe

They have a bit of a loophole, oemdepot and memory express both do it. They say regular proxe is XXX.XX (3% higher than the other) and the cash discount is 3%.

Memory express has on their site somewhere "all prices reflect cash discount of 3%" instead
    so instead of charging more for CC sales, they charge less for cash/debit :P

My Ride
    2009 STi

ahh okay makes sense...

Has anyone checked out InfinetPC (or something along those lines). Its in Memory Express's old location behind Compusmart.

From what I saw, they have fairly decent prices too...

i went to memex and was trying to get a price match from oem depot, (just because memex NE is closer to me) and they were all badmouthing oemdepot saying they have been blacklisted by some consumers agency or some shit, persnally i have never had a problem with them, i bought my inlaws a computer for xmas and 5 months later the power supply went on it, so i took it in, not only did he give me a free power supply but he installed it for me for free on the spot in bout 10 minutes.... cant ask for better service than that.
    Sure you can, Memex did the same thing for me 2 years after the purchase date.
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

My Ride
    Audi

Originally posted by googe

They have a bit of a loophole, oemdepot and memory express both do it. They say regular proxe is XXX.XX (3% higher than the other) and the cash discount is 3%.

Memory Express no longer charges for credit card or discounts for cash. The price on the site is the price you pay regardless of visa/mc/debit/cash. Both the current site (www.memoryexpress.com) and the "newer" site (mirror.memoryexpress.net) do not list such a scheme.

My Ride
    Bicycle

you may also want to bring up the sales guys spreading BS rumors, i was in the north store shortly after it opened and one of the sales guys told me that techtrinics had filled for bankrupcy... which was BS... 3 months later they just ran, no bankrupsy about it.
    Kinda true because they did for their other store in Winnepeg or Regina.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

I've been a loyal Mem Express guy for years since they were over by Compusmart. Maybe not always the lowest lowest prices but usually close enough, and the smart sales staff made it worth it. And I've easilly bought over 20K in stuff.

In the last 6 months I'd have to say they're don't rank an automatic preference. A few guys really don't have a clue about what they're talking about - (they read off the web page - beyond that, they're lost), and I've been caught a few times by product listed on the site that says "IN STOCK" but it's not even in the warehouse when you ask about it. To their credit, it looks like they've removed the "stock tracker" since I complained the other day.

Case: Asus WL-300G 802.11g Wireless Access Point $ 129.95 - Phoned and asked about it, got told some features, got passed around a few times when the sales guy didn't know the answer (this is GOOD - don't BS, pass it on when you don't know). Site said in stock, but not only was it not, it was some special order that would take weeks. And that's ok, I did the same with a raid controller, just don't waste my time and make me come in to find out.

They suggested the Linksys WAP54G for 139.95 - but guess what's at Compusmart for 119? Yep. The company that had pricing out in Mars has now surprised me 3 times in a row with their pricing and service. And I used to loathe them.

The tides of the computer industry - like a soap opera.

Btw - I'm not hating on Mem Express - they are still my first choice for parts, it's just they are no longer the only game in town for me.

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Things like wireless APs are commodities these days. Everyone has them. I usually wait for best buy to have it on sale and than price match with Staples On-line.

I was able to get a few (although different brands) of G APs for under $40 this way.

My latest acquistion, 5 Maxwell DVD-R and 5 Maxwell DVD+R and a MS keyboard shipped to home for $13 incl tax from Staples after PM.

Back to ME, when they were just 1 shop and 5 guys, all of them are hardcore hardware geeks straight out of college. They know their shit. But now they are expanded, they just trying to run their business and leave the tech stuff to the staff. And good help is hard to find. And finding someone that knows everything in the HW business and still want to work for $10-$12/hr is even tougher.

My Ride

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm buying another base level machine for the mother in law.

Comparing HDs and MBs, I'm not seeing a big diff - but for Windows XP Home OEM!:

OEM Depot: 119.00

Mem Express: 159.95

Add that to the other 10 or so bucks saved and that's crazyness. How can I not jump on that?

Khyron

My Ride
    That Blue Car

memex tries to sell you on thier "great warrenty"

i always price match oem depot stuff at memex and they are always like, then we have to match thier warrenty, than memex people are like, are you ok with that, i say yes, and they're like really? all trying to make me look like a tard for not caring about a warrenty i will likely never use anways.

My Ride
    Hybrid

I've had no problem getting Memory Express to pricematch OEM Depot...

In fact, I just got them to PM Netlink Computers (price + shipping) yesterday for a smoking deal on a couple of DVD writers.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    That Blue Car

Originally posted by Strider
    I've had no problem getting Memory Express to pricematch OEM Depot...

In fact, I just got them to PM Netlink Computers (price + shipping) yesterday for a smoking deal on a couple of DVD writers.
    i tried to get them to pricematch a couple CF cards on tigerdirect.ca and they put me on hold for about half an hour so they could say no, because the "model numbers were diffrent" so the tigerdirect one MUST have been from the USA< even thought it was the exact same freakin thing (granted i dont blame them since they were listed on memex for $130 and tigerdirect had them foir $71)

My Ride
    WRX

Loyal Memory-Expresser here

I have spent well over 20K in home/business hardware and will continue to do so -- best deals and customer service in town!

My Ride
    Model S

I suspect the increase in memory express prices is partially due to them no longer charging 3% for credit cards. Their stuff isnt marked up by a high percentage, so 3% is quite a bit to lose on every CC transaction. Looks like they just mark everything up across the board to combat that.

My Ride

Originally posted by hatetank
    Loyal Memory-Expresser here

I have spent well over 20K in home/business hardware and will continue to do so -- best deals and customer service in town!
    Me too, but explain the Windows XP price diff. I mean, I'll spend 20 bucks more to be loyal but not 100. (560 vs 670)

Khyron

My Ride
    Hybrid

i tried to get them to pricematch a couple CF cards on tigerdirect.ca and they put me on hold for about half an hour so they could say no, because the &quot;model numbers were diffrent&quot; so the tigerdirect one MUST have been from the USA&lt; even thought it was the exact same freakin thing (granted i dont blame them since they were listed on memex for $130 and tigerdirect had them foir $71)
    I would go try Future Shop, Staples, or equivalent for all my personal electronics PM needs... you get bonus 10% of the difference off... but whether or not they will PM is sometimes hit and miss depending on who you speak to.

Originally posted by Khyron

Me too, but explain the Windows XP price diff. I mean, I'll spend 20 bucks more to be loyal but not 100. (560 vs 670)

Khyron
    See if they will pricematch?... It shouldn't be a problem since it's OEM depot is local, and you're buying a bunch of other stuff there...

My Ride

Hrm looks like I found where OEM depot makes their savings... They don't answer phones, and they don't like emails. And if you order online, your order is not processed unless prepaid, or you phone and confirm it. Corportate users stay away indeed.

Khyron

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by Khyron
    Hrm looks like I found where OEM depot makes their savings... They don't answer phones, and they don't like emails. And if you order online, your order is not processed unless prepaid, or you phone and confirm it. Corportate users stay away indeed.

Khyron
    Shitty. I didnt have a problem, but I only dealt with them a couple times.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast