Quantcast
Talk about bait and switch and Memory Express - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk about bait and switch and Memory Express

My Ride
    You Crazy

Default Talk about bait and switch and Memory Express

So, they got this DVD burner advertised for $109.xx on their site.

I call Wednesday at 4:00 pm, they say "yeah, we got lots". They close at 5:00, closed thursday, open Friday 10:00 am.

I go in at 10:30 Friday morning (today), and the guy says "sorry, we are out", but we got the same thing in black for $125. I know it's only $15, but it still pisses me off....

Oh well. next time I'l give my CC over the phone and have them hold it....

My Ride
    2010 GLK350 4MATIC, 2006 SLK350

You do that.
    Or you could just pay the $15 more...

or you coulda went wednesday when they had some instock. for a hot price like 109 im surprised they had any left at 4:00 pm
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

that sucks but Memory Express doesnt need to bait and switch. They pretty much have a monopoly on computer parts in Calgary anyways (best prices). Sometimes when they have deals on top of their already good prices, i wouldnt be surprised if they sell out within hours.

ha ha ha
    even tho this really has NOTHING to do with this, I just thought of this site:

http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=compusa_sucks

My Ride
    RX300

Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel
    ha ha ha
    even tho this really has NOTHING to do with this, I just thought of this site:

http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=compusa_sucks

hahaha awesome
    trying is the first step towards failure

I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am...
    My Ride
    That Blue Car

Originally posted by BigMass
    that sucks but Memory Express doesnt need to bait and switch. They pretty much have a monopoly on computer parts in Calgary anyways (best prices). Sometimes when they have deals on top of their already good prices, i wouldnt be surprised if they sell out within hours.
    they dont even have close to a monopoly, there are tons of store that sell computer and or parts...

for full systems you can go anywhere, FS, radio shack, hell even costco and zelleers sell full systems....... for parts there is OEMdepot, and Computer Rack (who has been around for a while) and several other small shops.

My Ride
    Model S

they dont even have the best prices anymore. they did, until they started to abuse their new reputation. theyre still pretty good, but not the best.

The wholesale computer parts racket is so competitive I am surprised these guys stay in business.

Most of these companies sell stuff at only 3-4% above cost and there seems to be people that are still willing to undercut further. When you make only $10 on a CPU or motherboard you better be selling a mountain of them to stay in business. I'm not loyal to any of them because they will come and go anyways. There will always be a new place that sells something for a buck or two less.

So quit complaining about a couple of bucks and buy from the place that gives you the best service because we dont think about how much money we saved when we have to go back and return something because it was DOA and the cheapo place is giving us the runaround.

Originally posted by googe
    they dont even have the best prices anymore. they did, until they started to abuse their new reputation. theyre still pretty good, but not the best.
    Ok... so tell me who has better prices? I really am interested. And dont say OEM Depot because they dont. Also Dangeo is pretty much the same prices but you have to have your items shipped since they dont have a storefront.

The only reason i say they have a monopoly is because there is no reason to go anywhere else. If someone has a better place that they know please tell me. Where can i buy OEM hardware for cheaper?

My Ride
    You Crazy

Yeah, I was choked BECAUSE I called. I was working till 6:00, they closed wednesday at 5:00. I could have sent a buddy, but the guy said "WE GOT LOTS". I asked if I come in Friday am, will I be ok... he says "NO PROBLEM, WE GOT LOTS".

Generally, I buy from the mail order houses. Dirt cheap, free shipping over $200, and always in stock. I bought this at memory express only cause I wanted it for the weekend to burn some DVD's (my hard drive is packed)....

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by BigMass

Ok... so tell me who has better prices? I really am interested. And dont say OEM Depot because they dont. Also Dangeo is pretty much the same prices but you have to have your items shipped since they dont have a storefront.

The only reason i say they have a monopoly is because there is no reason to go anywhere else. If someone has a better place that they know please tell me. Where can i buy OEM hardware for cheaper?
    you are silly

memory express:
    DVR-107BK DVR-107 8x8 DVD+/-RW Drive, Black (OEM - No Software) $ 149.95
    oemdepot:
    Pioneer 107 8x +/- DVD-RW Black Cash/Debit: $139.99

ME:
    120GB 7200rpm ATA133 Fluid Dynamic Bearing $ 124.95
    OD:
    Maxtor 120Gb 7200RPM ATA133 FluidBearing Cash/Debit: $115.99

ME:
    All-In-Wonder Radeon 9600 128MB (Retail) $ 259.95
    OD:
    ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 w/Remote Control Cash/Debit: $239.99

ME:
    Radeon 9800 XT 256MB (Retail Box) $ 649.95
    OD:
    ATI Radeon 9800XT 256M DDR TVOut Retail Cash/Debit: $604.99

ME:
    K7S5A Pro K7S5A Pro SDRAM/DDR w/ Lan, Audio, USB2.0 $ 79.95
    OD:
    ECS K7S5A PRO SIS735 2DDR 2SDR USB2.0 Cash/Debit: $69.99

ME:
    ADA2800BOX Athlon 64 2800+ w/ 512K Cache (Retail Box ) $ 289.95
    OD:
    AMD Athlon 64 2800+ Cash/Debit: $269.99

consistenly cheaper. just grabbing stuff at random and everything is.

I'll look into it. When i checked them out 1 year ago that was not the case. Maybe they've changed when they figured out no one was buying from them. If they're cheaper now that's where i'll go. Thanks for pointing that out.

My Ride
    Audi

In regards to the DVD player not being in stock, i suspect this is at the south store and I will speak to the buyer there to make sure they do have plenty stock.

Keep in mind that plenty stock is usually only about 50 units of that particular drive in the store at any given moment. Some educational institutions/businesses regularly come in and buy large quantities of items and I suspect that if they had lots then this is the case. I can assure you that bait and switch is not part of memory express' marketing plan.

If you would still like to purchase that drive, please PM me and I can make some special arrangements. Again I apologize for the inconvenience!

My Ride
    That Blue Car

i went to memex and was trying to get a price match from oem depot, (just because memex NE is closer to me) and they were all badmouthing oemdepot saying they have been blacklisted by some consumers agency or some shit, persnally i have never had a problem with them, i bought my inlaws a computer for xmas and 5 months later the power supply went on it, so i took it in, not only did he give me a free power supply but he installed it for me for free on the spot in bout 10 minutes.... cant ask for better service than that.

Originally posted by sputnik
    The wholesale computer parts racket is so competitive I am surprised these guys stay in business.

Most of these companies sell stuff at only 3-4% above cost and there seems to be people that are still willing to undercut further. When you make only $10 on a CPU or motherboard you better be selling a mountain of them to stay in business. I'm not loyal to any of them because they will come and go anyways. There will always be a new place that sells something for a buck or two less.

So quit complaining about a couple of bucks and buy from the place that gives you the best service because we dont think about how much money we saved when we have to go back and return something because it was DOA and the cheapo place is giving us the runaround.
    so then why wouldn't you go to the place that you can save a few bucks, if you're so optomistic that they are all gonna be out of business soon anyways then there wont be anyone to honor their warrenties. so whats the diffrence if you get them in the first place?

EDIT:

i also had a similar experience to the original posters with memex, i phond thier north store about a motherboard and was told they had "several in stock" so i go down there 2 hours later (this was NOT a sale item) and they had NONE, so they phoned the south store and the south store had some, so they put one on hold for me, i drove for over 30 mins in rush hour traffic to the south store, thanks to their mistake, only to stand there and way 30 more minutes to get someone to ring it through for me, its bullshit.
    Last edited by Gonthro; 07-05-2004 at 08:21 AM.

My Ride
    Village Bike

Originally posted by googe

you are silly

memory express:
    DVR-107BK DVR-107 8x8 DVD+/-RW Drive, Black (OEM - No Software) $ 149.95
    oemdepot:
    Pioneer 107 8x +/- DVD-RW Black Cash/Debit: $139.99

ME:
    120GB 7200rpm ATA133 Fluid Dynamic Bearing $ 124.95
    OD:
    Maxtor 120Gb 7200RPM ATA133 FluidBearing Cash/Debit: $115.99

ME:
    All-In-Wonder Radeon 9600 128MB (Retail) $ 259.95
    OD:
    ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 w/Remote Control Cash/Debit: $239.99

ME:
    Radeon 9800 XT 256MB (Retail Box) $ 649.95
    OD:
    ATI Radeon 9800XT 256M DDR TVOut Retail Cash/Debit: $604.99

ME:
    K7S5A Pro K7S5A Pro SDRAM/DDR w/ Lan, Audio, USB2.0 $ 79.95
    OD:
    ECS K7S5A PRO SIS735 2DDR 2SDR USB2.0 Cash/Debit: $69.99

ME:
    ADA2800BOX Athlon 64 2800+ w/ 512K Cache (Retail Box ) $ 289.95
    OD:
    AMD Athlon 64 2800+ Cash/Debit: $269.99

consistenly cheaper. just grabbing stuff at random and everything is.
    All the OD prices are Cash/Debit. What's the price difference if I use CC?

My Ride
    That Blue Car

they charge an extra 3% for using a CC (just to cover the fees they get charged to process a CC.

My Ride
    Sentra

Originally posted by Gonthro
    they charge an extra 3% for using a CC (just to cover the fees they get charged to process a CC.
    no not any more

My Ride
    That Blue Car

Originally posted by rlde.us

no not any more
    according to thier website they do.

My Ride
    Bicycle

As bad as Techtronics was, at least it keeps everyone else on their toes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast