Quantcast
what size turbo, and who has it? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: what size turbo, and who has it?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    Ok it's not a 3sgte but here's a 503whp DSM running 93 octane
    http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91793
    Your intellegence (stupidity?) baffles me at times... click the link, it's the same dude on page 1 of this thread... the guy that ran 6 degrees of timing that melts spark plugs on every run.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Originally posted by rage2

Your intellegence (stupidity?) baffles me at times... click the link, it's the same dude on page 1 of this thread... the guy that ran 6 degrees of timing that melts spark plugs on every run.
    Haha you bastard thanks for taking it easy on me. After the discussion we just had I finally realize your point. Fuck I wish i could prove you wrong, it would almost be worth buildig a 500whp capable 3sgte then having you tune it
    Last edited by Redlyne_mr2; 07-13-2004 at 08:59 PM.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Rev it to 10,000rpm and you'll be in good shape

That's how the S2000 can do it. Totally forgot that there IS a 2L street car that has tons of revs stock haha, so I guess boostfed did prove me wrong.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Rev it to 10,000rpm and you'll be in good shape
    so how does RPM help in this problem?

My Ride
    FAT tires

Originally posted by redline

HP = TQ x RPM/5252

Motors make torque, hp is a "mythical" thing that happens to a cars torque curve as the motor is revved. Look at the S2000's torque curve somewhere around 300ftlbs and the hp curve just keeps climbing past 500hp.

the real "problem" is that it gets to a point where the cylinder pressures are so great pump gas detonates, but since cars really only make torque and 300ft lbs is within rages "possible" zone, you just need to make that 300ft lbs at a high enough rpm.

And BTW im still a firm believer of DSM'S making well over 400 streetable HP on pump gas. but im NOT gonna argue it, and yes i do have a very good grasp of the physics involved.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by redline
    Originally posted by tsi_neal
    HP = TQ x RPM/5252

Motors make torque, hp is a "mythical" thing that happens to a cars torque curve as the motor is revved. Look at the S2000's torque curve somewhere around 300ftlbs and the hp curve just keeps climbing past 500hp.

the real "problem" is that it gets to a point where the cylinder pressures are so great pump gas detonates, but since cars really only make torque and 300ft lbs is within rages "possible" zone, you just need to make that 300ft lbs at a high enough rpm.
    tsi_neal pretty much explained it. Cylinder pressures/torque is the limiting factor with pump gas thanks to limitations in octane, or knock/detonation limits. HP is just a function of torque (torque over time basically). Make the same amount of torque but at a higher rpm (more work per minute) and you'll get more HP and obviously more work done.

I explained tq vs hp to redlyne_mr2 over MSN using the boxer analogy... Think of 2 boxers, both who can punch with a force of 20 (your torque). Now, boxer 1 can punch that hard 20 times per minute. Boxer 2 can punch that hard 40 times per minute. Boxer 2 is gonna inflict twice the damage because he does more work over that minute (your horsepower doubled but same torque).
    Originally posted by tsi_neal
    And BTW im still a firm believer of DSM'S making well over 400 streetable HP on pump gas. but im NOT gonna argue it, and yes i do have a very good grasp of the physics involved.
    We were talking 500whp .

Rage, is there a theoretical torque limit that you think a 2L 4banger can make on pump gas?

...for the sake of discussion...

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Loose
    Rage, is there a theoretical torque limit that you think a 2L 4banger can make on pump gas?

...for the sake of discussion...
    If there was, I wouldn't have the math skills to calculate it . Lots of things come into play, combustion chamber design can allow better burn/detonation control, valve designs can allow less timing or leaner mixture because it can reliably handle the higher temps, compression ratio, mechanical losses, the new direct fuel injection systems, type of "pump gas", tons of factors. Our higher altitude has a lot to do with it too (we can make more torque on a dyno than the sea level guys because of SAE corrections, but it's all bullshit heh).

I've witnessed 290wtq on a dynojet on a 92 octane agressive tune.

My Ride
    is wild

Curious Rage what engine/turbocharger and how much boost pressure was run on the 290whp run your talking about?
    I assume this is the mustang dyno.

Reasons why Drumheller area wouldn't make a good race track venue...

Originally posted by Agera_56
    My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys, but honestly, if she's happy, I'm happy).

My Ride
    FAT tires

We were talking 500whp .

what so im not allowed to backtrack even alittle

My Ride
    hissing whooshing turbo miata/S3 SRT-4.

T3 cast manifold with a turbonetics T04b ball bearing,or just use a john sheppard set up

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4