Quantcast
what size turbo, and who has it? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: what size turbo, and who has it?

My Ride
    -10 F150 Lariat, -10 Fusion SEL awd

Default what size turbo, and who has it?

Hi, In the next few weeks here, I am planning on upgrading my turbo again. Bigger is better right? anyways. Its for a 1993 TSi Talon. I am shooting for 500-550HP. current mods are as follows:

8.5:1 Wiseco pistons, with Eagle H-Beam Rods
    Cometic Head Gasket
    Balanced Crank
    Walbro 255 high pressure pump
    660CC injectors
    AEM EMS
    MAP/IAT conversion
    EVO 3 Big 16G

soon to haves:
    HKS 264/264 cams (for streetability as opposed to 272's)
    BIG FMIC
    Turbo (this is the help i need)
    ported/polished head with dual valve springs

What turbo do i need for this goal, and how much am i looking at spending? Im looking for a relatively quick spoolup for on the street, and it has to be capeable of high boost levels. I want to steer away from the Mitus 20 G as I have heard it takes forever to spool. What is the turbo experts suggestions?

Holy crap that thing must be a beast 500-550 hp.

My Ride
    99 F355, 08 3500 Diesel Mega Cab, 12 Versa

there is a very nice turbo for sale on the Canada Board. It's an FP3065, it will surely get you well over 500 HP!! Here's a link for it, I think he wants 1700 cdn which is a steal because they sell for 1279 US!!!

Here's his info in intersted:

Kevin Parent

He also has the 2 1/2'' Custom 02 housing for sale if interested!! This is a direct bolt on, a turbo I wouldn't pass up!!

link: http://ca.dsm.org/
    Under: Wanted to Sell
    Thread Name: Performance Parting Out

My Ride
    Turbod Honda

garret super 60!!!

My Ride
    FAT tires

what forcefed said
    from everything ive heard those turbos are amazing.

for a better price you could look at a garret t-66, but you loose the GT30 housing and the ballbearings

either of those should put you well over 500whp

in your list of soon to haves id switch up the 264's for 272's you will flow enough air to make good use of them, and for sure add an intake manifold.

My Ride

im just worried about idle and full boost with the 272's. This is still going to be a street car, so idle is pretty important to me, and I still use the A/C also!
    C.J.

1997 TSi AWD 2.3L 6 bolt (Carillo Rods, Wiseco pistons, Cometic headgasket, ACL bearings, removed BS, FP3's, Crower springs/retainers, ARP hardware), FIC 950's, Aeromotive AFPR with SS lines, Walbro 255HP, PTE SCM61, Tial wastegate, Greddy Type S BOV, short route FMIC, 3" turbo back, AEM EMS, 3 bar map conversion, BJs SMIM, 75mm TB, Innovate LC-1 Wideband, 18" Focals, Bridgestone Potenza RE040's, Tokiko suspension.

My Ride
    FAT tires

well youll be using the EMS on the setup so setting your idle at say 1000 will be easy and will help smooth it out considerably.

the 272's will hurt spoolup time, but were talking like a 200rpm window, so if it were me id live with it. Truthfully ive never seen nor heard firsthand reviews of the onboost power difference between the 272's and 264's, so im hopefully not talking out my ass. but what i have seen is a dyno chart showing that the big16g is just enough turbo to make full potential out of the 264's, so more turbo = more CFM = more benifit from bigger cams. and the 272's can theoretically flow alot more especially at higher rpm's and boost/CFM levels. so if im assuming correct (by the heavy duty valve springs) that youll definatly want to wind this motor up past 7K probably to 8+k then id definatly say youll see considerable benifits from the 272's.

My Ride

thanks tsi_neal

does anyone know what kind of boost reponse i can expect from lets say a T-66? Is there any place in the city I can talk to, to get some more info (prices, wait, and a/r's)
    thanks
    C.J.

1997 TSi AWD 2.3L 6 bolt (Carillo Rods, Wiseco pistons, Cometic headgasket, ACL bearings, removed BS, FP3's, Crower springs/retainers, ARP hardware), FIC 950's, Aeromotive AFPR with SS lines, Walbro 255HP, PTE SCM61, Tial wastegate, Greddy Type S BOV, short route FMIC, 3" turbo back, AEM EMS, 3 bar map conversion, BJs SMIM, 75mm TB, Innovate LC-1 Wideband, 18" Focals, Bridgestone Potenza RE040's, Tokiko suspension.

My Ride

Im not goot on my garrett turbo's so this might sound stupid, but:

What is the difference between a 50 trim and 60 trim? What kind of power could i expect from a 60 trim t3/t4?
    C.J.

My Ride
    Turbod Honda

60 trim is bigger man

My Ride

how much power can they support?
    C.J.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

60 trim is good for about 500whp-525whp depending on your setup. I'm using one in my 944 turbo.

It's gonna be one laggy turbo though with only 2.0L of displacement. I had a 57 trim on my 2.5L and I found it too laggy for my tastes. With the 60 trim turbo on my 2.8L, I found it acceptable.

You might want to look into the GT series turbos... they have a much wider compressor map than the T3/T4 series, so you'll be able to flow a lot of power up top and still maintain half decent streetability. As much fun as a big turbo and that huge kick in the pants is, 2500-3000rpm wide powerbands suck ass.

Can't wait till Hollywood reads my posts and responds .
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    FAT tires

im only guessing here, but forced performance claims full spool on a FP3065 to be somehting like 4K (what full spool is im not sure) and being a slightly less efficient exhaust housing and non ball bearing yet somewhat similar size id give the T-66 an extra 500rpm for full spool. There are ALOT of factors involved here and im not in the mood for doing research so take this guess for what it is.

even a 60trim t3/t4 there are alot of variants on the specific wheels used. but a good 60trim should get you reasonably close to 500whp (475?) on pump gas. a 50trim will give you better spoolup times and probably 425whp on pump.

as it sits with a very good setup your evo316g will get you 350-375whp, which will still be low 12's possible high 11's

My Ride
    FAT tires

Just read rage's post, remember that we have AWD driveline losses so we dont see as high WHP #'s as a rwd porsche...
    and the FP3065 is a GT30 series turbo that bolts up to a mitsu 7cm flange.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

500whp on pump gas? What kinda crack you smokin' there?

Regardless of turbo, I'm guessing with 2.0L displacement and let's say cams and peak power at 7000rpm, the talon motor wont make more than 320whp on pump gas. Anything past that will require some pricey race gas.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    FAT tires

heh, if you like ill dig up one guys DSM build thats seeing a little north of 500whp on pump (93 octane?) with a 60trim turbo

EDIT: Ok to prove the internet benchracing loser that i really am... http://www.twingles.com/ideck/ and i was wrong its a 50trim turbo
    Last edited by tsi_neal; 07-05-2004 at 11:32 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Find me a link, I'd really like to see a 500whp 2L motor on pump gas that doesn't melt itself.

My Ride
    FAT tires

ok, this one took some looking, but there is a bit more info on the setup. amazingly he has nothing terribly special, but awesome tuning skills
    http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showth...t=pump+AND+dre

My Ride
    Turbod Honda

lol, thats cool.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Like I said, show me one that doesn't melt itself . That thing really is only good for dyno runs. It runs 6 degrees of timing. EGT's with that much ignition retard will melt pistons and valves in no time in REAL world conditions.

Anything under 17 degrees of timing (generally) will hurt a motor over time. 6 degrees will have the manifold glowing bright red by the middle of 2nd gear... by 4th chunks of exhaust valves will be entering the turbine .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast