Quantcast
University of Alberta - Genetics Program (Science Faculty Help) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: University of Alberta - Genetics Program (Science Faculty Help)

My Ride
    335i

Default University of Alberta - Genetics Program (Science Faculty Help)

Alright I need a little help.

A friend of mine is planning on going to the U of A to take "genetics" at the U of A.

I know at the U of C, there is no specific program. Is there one at the U of A?

And is there any employment prospects for it in this province?
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

There's a Molecular Genetics program in the faculty of Bio Sci.

Here's what they list for careers

My Ride
    06 RX8 SE

yes there is a genetic program at UofA, because Im in their specialize program atm.

but to be honest, there really isnt much in Genetics anymore, since the whole human genome had already been sequenced. You probably won't be able to find any "real" genetic job unless you go after PhD anyway. If he wants to be like that guy on CSI, who gets to DNA test all the crime scene DNA evidences, tell him he'll need at least a Master and there are only ~ 5 of them in Canada.

If your friend really wants to do research, I recommand your friend to go into Biochem, it deals more with what the DNA sequence translate into (proteins, RNA, etc), he gets to learn all the same techniques as he would in a Genetic program such as running 3D gel. The job field for Biochem is much greater too, and UofA has a very good Biochem program.

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

Im pretty sure there is a "Genetics" Program at UofC.. its in the Faculty of Bio Sci as a Cellular, Molecular and Microbial Degree. IIm planning on doing that program, and im doin Neurogenetics once i transfer from MRC. but im also looking at the program at UofA!
    Last edited by Gondi Stylez; 07-13-2004 at 12:01 AM.

There's no genetics program at the U of C. There are some genetics course but that's about it.

Biochem is a fairly good degree but like any of the biosci specialties you will need at least a masters to have any real future beyond being a lab tech.

Not sure what the U of A program is but the U of C bcem program is focused a lot on proteomics which is not bad but it's a little too focused IMO.

Just because the entire human genome is sequenced does not mean the future is not in genetics. There is TONS of work left in the genetics field. They need to get a database to get decent range of normal permutations in the genome just as a beginning. We have just hit the tip of iceberg in genetics.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    2004 Toyota Echo

There isn't a whole lot of opportunities in Calgary. Us, few BCHEM grads had a hard time finding something in the science field. After a year, I found a job in the environmental field.

If you plan on staying in Calgary, go with the oil sector or something in engineering. Most bio sci jobs are in BC or the east.

Just recently someone at my place of employment landed a job at the Childrens hospital doing research. He's been working with me for 3 years before getting something in the biological science sector.

BTW. There was a girl with a genetics degree that worked with me last year. She couldn't get a job, so she went back to school and is taking Medical Lab technology at SAIT.
    Last edited by Daxin; 07-18-2004 at 11:03 PM.
    2004 Toyota Echo

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

Originally posted by B18C
    There's no genetics program at the U of C. There are some genetics course but that's about it.
    then what is the CMMB program at UofC? they told me my neurogenetics degree falls into there?

were they BSing or what??

My Ride
    335i

From what others have said, CMMB is the closest thing to genetics that you can get. I don't know for sure though, i'm not a science major.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Originally posted by Gondi Stylez

then what is the CMMB program at UofC? they told me my neurogenetics degree falls into there?

were they BSing or what??
    Neurogenetics? That may be a subspecialty but not a degree program. If you are in neurogenetics I'm sure when you graduate you'll get a CMMB degree (assuming you are in that program and not just general bio sci).

Bio sci at U of C only offers 6 programs: bcem, botnay, CMMB, ecology, zoo, and general bio.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

Originally posted by B18C

Neurogenetics? That may be a subspecialty but not a degree program. If you are in neurogenetics I'm sure when you graduate you'll get a CMMB degree (assuming you are in that program and not just general bio sci).

Bio sci at U of C only offers 6 programs: bcem, botnay, CMMB, ecology, zoo, and general bio.
    yes, that is what it falls into, i found out from UofC!

was worried for a bit because im going more in the area of gene therapy and the sort!