Quantcast
Insurance/ Restitution Question (A "What If..." Situation) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Insurance/ Restitution Question (A "What If..." Situation)

Question Insurance/ Restitution Question (A "What If..." Situation)

i was thinking about this today when i was at the car wash, there was some drunk indian on a mountain bike swerving around in the parking lot and he almost side swiped my car as i was drying it off. Nothing happened but i wondered how someone would go about getting restitution if something similar was to occur.

Say the drunk nailed your car, would you;

a) try and keep him from pedaling off and call the cops.
    b) dont worry about it and just go through insurance and idoly watch your rates go up.
    c) make an attempt at trading information (much like a motor vehicle accident)
    d) take him around the corner and perform a pow wow on his face

Im not sure how it would work if he/she was homeless, your insurance would pay of course, by why should you have to go through them? and im sure the city wont pick up the tab. Or would the white man take another hit to his wallet courtesy of our fine aboriginal brothers?

Professional DJ equipment for sale: Click Here

My Ride
    2001 Toyota Solara & 1995 Mustang GT

I had a similar experience where a pedestrian turned into my car and damaged it. The pedestrian was at fault. I had witnesses to this, but SGI wouldn't pay because it was a pedestrian not a car. I would assume a mountain bike would be the same as the bike would not have insurance. I could have tried taking the pedestrian to small claims court, but if she had no money that would be pointless. Can't get blood from a stone. In the end I just fixed the car as it was cheaper to fix than to cover the deductible and insurance premuim hikes. Fortunately it wasn't much damage, PDR for $200.00. Still sucks though. You would have to choose option "d" if anything had happened to get satisfaction.

yea man....D would be all ur left with...bcuz damn insurance these days kills us all

My Ride
    MDX

All i can say, is go ahead and try and stop a drunk'n indian from getting away. Once you attempt this, come back on here and let us know how it went

Originally posted by jdmakkord
    All i can say, is go ahead and try and stop a drunk'n indian from getting away. Once you attempt this, come back on here and let us know how it went
    i used a lasso, like in the good ol' days!

Professional DJ equipment for sale: Click Here

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

I'd say the pow wow option in this case. If it was a "respectable" citizen, maybe you could talk to them. Any idiot should know when they are in the wrong.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

Good luck suing an Indian - I knew someone who got hit by one in a car, and was told since they were a treaty Indian you couldn't sue them....

A) Illegal to detain him - you could get in more trouble for this
    B) Easiest solution - and your insurance company may not raise your rates
    C) Good luck exchanging information with a bicyclist - they act like they own the roads as it is.
    D) Illegal. Definete chance of getting into trouble.