Quantcast
Can you drive a boosted FR car in Calgary during the winter, with winter tires? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you drive a boosted FR car in Calgary during the winter, with winter tires?

My Ride
    Wristshots

Default Can you drive a boosted FR car in Calgary during the winter, with winter tires?

Hello fellow car enthusiasts. I currently own an S14 with a KA24DE installed in it. My engine is quite beat up, and I need an engine swap. I'd like to put in a SR20DET, redtop or blacktop, but I am not sure if I would be able to drive my car in the winter, with a boosted engine, especially since my car is RWD. If anyone has an RWD that is boosted, btu still drives it in the winter, or if anyone knows anything about this, please post on tis thread, or private message me.

-Thank you for your time.

-Statick

I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am...
    My Ride
    That Blue Car

you can drive anything in the winter if you have good winter tires and you dont drive like an ass, i have driven a s10 pickup (rwd, no weight above the rear tires) with bald tires and survived, you just have to drive within your vehicles limits.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Yes. I've done it for 11 years now. No ABS. No traction control. Just winter tires.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

forget about 1st.

I drove a 300zx in the winter one year. It was an experience.

Dont drive crazy and you'll be okay.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Make sure you live in the south where there's very little hilly areas and you'll be ok.

In the north, you'll never get up hills. No matter how good your winter tires are. I have pushed a few MB, BMW and 350Z in my area, during snow storms. Standard winter tire only do snow, on ice, they are not much better than other tires.

That's why you get a beater for winter and leave your baby at home. No point in having other people smash up you nice ride either.

My Ride
    a wrx.

yes. having an LSD will also make your life a lot easier.

also, make sure u dont let anyone else drive your car during the winter.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Make sure you live in the south where there's very little hilly areas and you'll be ok.

In the north, you'll never get up hills. No matter how good your winter tires are. I have pushed a few MB, BMW and 350Z in my area, during snow storms. Standard winter tire only do snow, on ice, they are not much better than other tires.
    I live on top of a hill in arbour lake, and never have a problem. Well, unless some dork in a FWD all seaon tire car spins its tires and ices up the road, then slows down and stops and blocks me. At that point, I'll have to go back to the bottom of the hill and try again. That applies to FWD cars too. Here's where AWD cars shine.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by rage2
    I'll have to go back to the bottom of the hill and try again.
    ive had to "try again" on busy roads before.

The snow hasn't stopped me yet. Mud has gotten the better of me and my car though

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

FWD or RWD ... not really matter ... with a set of good snow tires, no problem at all ! and most the RWD now, are with independent rear suspension, and near 50/50% balanced anyway ..

Traction control will help too !

I have been driving RWD for the last .. 10+ winter !
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    FJC, S30

Here's where AWD cars shine.
    ahha and dont forget that!! jokes.. arbour lake does get real icy tho
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    Wristshots

yea im in edgemont.......if anyboidy doesnt kno where that is.... its in NW and very hilly...and i live rite in the middle of a hill.
    for anyone who went adn played soccer last week, its that same hill u need 2 go down to get access to the feild...

rage2....ur slk 32amg , is rwd and supercharged.... u still hav no problems ???

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

My wife drives the AMG in the winter. I drive the 944 turbo. Whoever thinks high powered RWD cars in the winter don't work have obviously never tried it.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    yes. having an LSD will also make your life a lot easier.
    An LSD will make you oversteer way more. No LSD is easier for the untrained, LSD is better for the ones that knows how to drive.

My Ride
    mkIII jetta

you'll be fine, look at all the 2wd trucks driving around with an empty bed. It's the same thing. You'll just need to use a bit more finesse.

I live on top of a hill in arbour lake, and never have a problem. Well, unless some dork in a FWD all seaon tire car spins its tires and ices up the road, then slows down and stops and blocks me. At that point, I'll have to go back to the bottom of the hill and try again. That applies to FWD cars too. Here's where AWD cars shine.
    This is coming from the guy that would call into the office during the smallest snowstorm and say he cant even get off his driveway because its too icy!

haha but in all seriousness any car can be driven in winter. On some cars you'll have to add some sandbags for weight in the rear for added traction.
    ---

My Ride
    a wrx.

An LSD will make you oversteer way more. No LSD is easier for the untrained, LSD is better for the ones that knows how to drive.
    true enough. my friends corolla (with lsd) NEVER gets stuck in the winter, whereas im constantly pushing my car out of trouble.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by kenny
    This is coming from the guy that would call into the office during the smallest snowstorm and say he cant even get off his driveway because its too icy!
    lol. Those times were all because I didn't switch to winter tires haha. That and it's a GREAT excuse!

My Ride
    Whiney '02 WRX

I drove the 240 all winter, and it was my first year driving a rear wheel drive, relatively light, turbo car. Supercharged isn't as bad as turbo though. If you are wanting to put the pedal down, you won't get any traction once turbo hits...

My Ride
    DC4, CB750, CB360t

Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz
    I drove the 240 all winter, and it was my first year driving a rear wheel drive, relatively light, turbo car. Supercharged isn't as bad as turbo though. If you are wanting to put the pedal down, you won't get any traction once turbo hits...
    I'd say a turbo is easier then a SC because you can just stay out of boost and go easier on the pedal.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Originally posted by djfob

I'd say a turbo is easier then a SC because you can just stay out of boost and go easier on the pedal.
    Hmmm, I'd say no. The issue with turbo is that you can hold the throttle in one position and still get the surge of power; a supercharger is much more linear and predictable.

Although it is not much of an issue with good winter tires, because stopping and turning on a slipery road is much more important than accelerating.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast