Quantcast
RB26DETT swap - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: RB26DETT swap

Default RB26DETT swap

I'm interested in completing a rb26dett swap into my 300zx, has anyone done this b4? I need advice on where to look for an engine, to who in town will be able to install it for me and what kind of custom work will need to be done or if it is a direct bolt on. Thanx

My Ride
    a bunch of old wedges

very hard swap and i bet not many people in town can do it as your converting an AWD engine into a rwd car....i head of people using the rb25det tranny but it requires alotta fabrication....if u wanted toi do the swap maybe u could use a rb25 since its a rwd

My Ride
    93 nissan 240sx

Originally posted by calgarys13
    very hard swap and i bet not many people in town can do it as your converting an AWD engine into a rwd car....i head of people using the rb25det tranny but it requires alotta fabrication....if u wanted toi do the swap maybe u could use a rb25 since its a rwd

dude a skyline has atessa 4wd, uses rwd layout. But my question is why go from a 3L to a 2.6?

the swap would be very doable but not worth it in my opinion.
    "your car has a disease, Terminal tinkeritis"

well I currently have a Na vg30de which means switching will add 60-70 hp, 3.0 - 2.6 smaller engine hopefully better gas consumption.. less weight, If it is really insanely hard to do maybe I will just look at doing a tt swap.. and going that route

My Ride
    Subaru GR

that's a tight fit....300zx engine bays are small, and yes the RB25 tranny is the one your after, you might have to mix and match engines and trannys if you wanna really run the RB26.

Why don't you go for the twins on the VG motor??
    Psalm 144(1): Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Originally posted by 1-Bar
    that's a tight fit....300zx engine bays are small, and yes the RB25 tranny is the one your after, you might have to mix and match engines and trannys if you wanna really run the RB26.

Why don't you go for the twins on the VG motor??

Drop a VG30DETT in that beatch.

My Ride
    S13

Yeah VG30DETT is really the only way to go. The amount of fabrication involved for an RB makes it not worth it, and the fact that any part you will ever need for it has to be shipped from Japan, which takes at least a week most of the time.

stick to the VG id say, granted the RB26 is a stronger, better motor, and can handle a lot more abuse, but a VG will drop right in, to go from NA to TT autodream can hook u up real nice, they did a wicked job on my brothers car, hes gone to them for eveyr lilttle thing since
    and yea, ud end up buying the RB26DETT motor for about, lets say 7000? add a fmic (since its a motor, not a fornt clip, and no1 really does the front clips much) and a RB25DET tranny coz changingh it to AWD is a bitch, and lotsa extra weight id imagine, thas about 12000 after install??
    now, take a VG30DETT front clip, install maybe 2 Gs, parts not sure, maybe 5? and then go mod happy, and ull be a lot quicker than a stock RB26DEtt...

reliability wise is the rb much more reliable than the vg I've been told the vg is reliable but I really don't know seems like I've been pouring money into mine

My Ride
    1989 Audi 200

I love it when people are stupid.

the RB26DETT is good for 800 horsepower with different fuel system and turbos.

THATS why he's going from 3.0 to 2.6

Besides, V6 sucks, Inline 6 rules

- Rasmus

Hey check these guys out, they may be able to help:

http://www.jdmsource.ca/

My Ride
    KA-T S13

Originally posted by Raz

- Rasmus

I've seen 900+whp on a vg motor. But the rb26 is capable of more power more reliably.

the amount of money ull spend fabbing in an RB26 into a Z32, and then worrying bout drivetrain issues of ising an Rb25 tranny almost 10000 easy, a TT swap will elave u spending half that or a little over, leaving lotsa room for safely raised hp

My Ride
    93 Toyota Pickup

From reading this thread a little...and going off the prices...and some I know...
    Engine : 7k
    Tranny ('25) : 1500-2k~ ?
    Intercooler : 1k+
    Skyline guage cluster, fab it into your Z32 : 500~
    All the labour including custom fabrication : 5k~ including materials.

That alone is 15k, and you're still left with a stock engine. 280hp~ - for 15k? fuck that.

It'd end up being cheaper to import an R32 GT-R in the end - if you think about adding it all up. Stick with the VG man - not as easy to work on and not as reliable under crazy amounts of horse, but who the hell needs 500+ hp? :P

Stick with the TT or even go single T with your vg30, fuck the RB26 Wait a while till you get the funds to do an RB into a diff car, the Z would be hard as hell to I love em but.. damn that engine bay is tiny
    Originally posted by Grogador
    Shoulda threw in a "no homo" somewhere... cuz... yeah...
    Originally posted by turbotrip
    seems like a recipe for rape
    toexistphoto.com

My Ride
    AE86, GSXR 750

Default Re: RB26DETT swap

Originally posted by joegrang
    I'm interested in completing a rb26dett swap into my 300zx, has anyone done this b4? I need advice on where to look for an engine, to who in town will be able to install it for me and what kind of custom work will need to be done or if it is a direct bolt on. Thanx
    the motor will never bolt in, you are so much better off getting an SR20 many people have done it if you check on cardomain and the reason they do this swap is becuse of the space under the hood and the difficulty it is to work on the 300zx because if you have seen under the hood in one of those it is imposible to stick a wrench anywhere and the SR20 will free up so much space its not evan funny and the weight savings is about 400 pounds so trust me a SR20 is the way to go and im sure people will back me up on that and the aftermarket support to make an sr20 haul ass is very large indeed.

Originally posted by jjwilks240

dude a skyline has atessa 4wd, uses rwd layout. But my question is why go from a 3L to a 2.6?

the swap would be very doable but not worth it in my opinion.
    i find this jsut absolutly halarious, the first comment that is, but the second one is right.

Originally posted by joegrang
    reliability wise is the rb much more reliable than the vg I've been told the vg is reliable but I really don't know seems like I've been pouring money into mine
    most likly basic maintnence and every car needs it sooner or later.

Originally posted by Raz

- Rasmus
    maybe a missed ure explanation on why the inline six cyl motors are better then V6????

QUOTE]Originally posted by Scat

I've seen 900+whp on a vg motor. But the rb26 is capable of more power more reliably.
    [/QUOTE]

i would love to see that on stock internals. both motors built and tuned properly will end up about the same

Originally posted by boostless
    the amount of money ull spend fabbing in an RB26 into a Z32, and then worrying bout drivetrain issues of ising an Rb25 tranny almost 10000 easy, a TT swap will elave u spending half that or a little over, leaving lotsa room for safely raised hp

sorry wrong, it will be labour hours and self fabrication is not that expensive if you know what u are doing.

rb26 won't fit in a 300zx i believe, the engine compartment is not long enough. you could fit an rb20 in there though.

My Ride
    AE86, GSXR 750

Originally posted by vietdood
    rb26 won't fit in a 300zx i believe, the engine compartment is not long enough. you could fit an rb20 in there though.
    ill take a sr20 over a rb20 any day of the week, more aftermarket support and you dont have to order parts from japan for the rb20.

My Ride
    maxima

rb26 will not fit in a 300zx without some major modification because a 300zx has a v6 which has 3 cylinders inline and a RB26 is a inline 6 therefore the rb26 is twice the length of a vg30. Inline 6's are easier to turbo charge and usually have better results. 300zx are hard to work on as most of you may know. Also i would take a SR20 over an rb20 anyday of the week. i agree with youngbex... there are way more aftermarket parts for the sr20 compared to the rb20...also the Sr20 black top is putting down better numbers. a rb20 is only putting down 212hp and 195ftlb a sr20 blacktop is putting down 250hp (i think) and its 2 cylinders smaller which means it would sort of fit better, if it would fit without mods it would be tight. Hope any of my info helped you

My Ride
    93 Toyota Pickup

SR20 would fit in the Z's engine bay.. But the Z weighs alot if I'm not mistaken ? And the VG and RB series have more torque then the SR/CA, so if you were going to look at doing an SR swap i'd propose you put more money into the engine to build the power up so that thing will move better.. Still isn't going to be easy on the wallet, so if you want an easy swap - VG30DETT .. or get crazy with a VQ35DE if you work it haha
    Originally posted by Grogador
    Shoulda threw in a "no homo" somewhere... cuz... yeah...
    Originally posted by turbotrip
    seems like a recipe for rape
    toexistphoto.com

My Ride
    maxima

yea, vq35de arnt the best engine,. they dont hold up well to forced induction. the block is weak link. but i love the sound of the G35/350z though

edit-a sr20 is useless in a car that weighs 3000+ lbs. unless it is highly modified so it is a torque monster whihc i dont think is possible in that engine. id say swap a vg30dett in there and go single.....SP74HO, from sound-performance.com
    with supporting mods that should give you more than enough power than you will need.. check out that site hes got a SP74HO www.z32power.com
    Last edited by 98supratt; 01-05-2005 at 08:35 PM.