Quantcast
rage2-- forum questions? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: rage2-- forum questions?

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Default rage2-- forum questions?

And i will understand if you do not want to answer in public. If i understand correctly from the pho thread this is running on w32? I looked into this a year or more ago for my company and It was all linux based then and w32 versions sucked ass. Has this changed now?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

vbulletin is the same code on win32 and linux, and it runs fine. I tried a version last year and it had problems handling uploads and attachments. PHP win32 might've been buggy as well which caused that problem.

It's safe to say that with PHP 4.1.2 and vbulletin225php runs great together. I tried PHP 4.2.1, it worked fine except for some broken admin stuff. Even GZIP is supported, which is nice.

I'm running a lot of power on the servers, so I can't really do a good linux to win32 comparison. I wish vbulletin supported MSSQL 2000 though, phpBB supports it but isn't as popular. I've heard horror stories with mySQL and scalability. MSSQL has awesome performance, as well as awesome scalability.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    95 TSi AWD, 05 300C

heheh....that's debatable :P....if you're worried about scalability go oracle, it's the only solution :P

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Saw that one coming =). Unfortunately, I haven't seen a bulletin board that supports Oracle. It was tough enough to find one that supported MSSQL.

Honestly, MSSQL is already overkill... hell, the servers we run this site on is overkill!
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    95 TSi AWD, 05 300C

hehehe....I don't imagine an app such as vbullitin would but the db under much (if any) stress at all...perhaps if you had a shitload of people all running searches at the same time.....

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

actually, *everything* is stored in databases. Even the templates, so it's actually quite database intensive. All the mods are done in the admin panel, with no file changes. It seems mySQL is single threaded in terms of performing queries; on all forums I've seen, when doing a large search, pauses everyone else's sessions (sound familiar? hehe)

My Ride
    95 TSi AWD, 05 300C

that is really frickin sad....I think we should write our own :P

Even with that design SQL2000 would be able to handle it like a breeze.....I'm surprised mySQL does so well tho :P

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It doesn't do so well. Check with some of the folks on IRC, they run forums so big that there's no hardware available to improve performance (sound familiar? hehe). There's no clustering support in the latest stable release of mySQL.

Yes we should write our own, that would be fun. Too bad we're so damn busy!

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Originally posted by rage2
    It doesn't do so well. Check with some of the folks on IRC, they run forums so big that there's no hardware available to improve performance (sound familiar? hehe). There's no clustering support in the latest stable release of mySQL.

Yes we should write our own, that would be fun. Too bad we're so damn busy!

windows cluster

i will have a look at it again i guess.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Take a look at phpBB. I installed it with the latest version of PHP on my development machine. The features are close to vb. There's MSSQL support, open source, free, it's really nice. Only drawback is the customization community is smaller than vb (that's why we got vb).

Some of the larger sites that are running vbulletin are running it under MSSQL. It takes some heavy mods, but they exist out there.
    ---

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Where did you read this from? Last I read nobody had a working mod for vbulletin (full version anyways)

Read about it on some support site, it mentioned how some sites have some "heavy mods" that allow it to use "other databases"... so I am assuming its MSSQL, could be Oracle I guess. Would make sense if it is Oracle if they are going through the trouble to do these heavy customizations to vbulletin.
    ---

redline. Please put copyright albertacars.net on the bottom of your signature please. We had a thread about plagerism already.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Originally posted by coolmody
    redline. Please put copyright albertacars.net on the bottom of your signature please. We had a thread about plagerism already.
    lol

i black it out when i posted this pic on honda-tech and if they would have tracked it back to your site they would have flamed it off the internet!

thx redline. Nice radiator btw.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Originally posted by coolmody
    thx redline. Nice radiator btw.
    shiny too eh!