Quantcast
Digital camrea experts, digital storage experts LOOK - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Digital camrea experts, digital storage experts LOOK

My Ride
    money-pit

Default Digital camrea experts, digital storage experts LOOK

I just have a question..is there any real differences between Compact Flash memory storage and SD memory cards?? Does any one know the pros and cons? I ask this becuase im debating on 2 Canon camera's. Should i go with their newer SD cameras (ex. canon SD10) or say the S400? aswell where should i go to purchase one at a good deal, rage2 can you help me out??
    No and Im not like them....

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

I like CF cards cause they're so common.

Both function next to the same tho.
    Travel

Lurking in some bushes outside your house
    My Ride
    S14/D21

Originally posted by Ben
    I like CF cards cause they're so common.

Both function next to the same tho.

Im currently using a camera that utilizes SD memory. While its good and isn't much different in terms of operation, id still prefer Compact Flash.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 11:13 PM.

You have more speed options with CF. Generally CF is much faster than SD.

However SD is nice for small point n shoot cameras to keep the size of the cameras down.

I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am...
    My Ride
    That Blue Car

i like CF because they are so versatile and common, they can be used in camera's, PDA's, mp3 players, and because they are so common the prices are kept down a bit... if you go with the CF cards the cheapest place i have found for cards is www.tigerdirect.ca $85 (sometimes cheaper) for the 40X pro card (free shipping if you order more than $200 worth of stuff.)... they're about $120 for the same thing at london drugs

My Ride
    2009 STi

Id recommend CF as well. Like others have said, they have better speed, are cheaper and offer larger capacities. They can also be used for other things (microdrives, wilan, etc). The only disadvantage I can think of is the physical size.

I can see eventually all cameras moving to a common format, and CF is probably the format that they will eventually all use.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by Gonthro
    if you go with the CF cards the cheapest place i have found for cards is www.tigerdirect.ca $85 (sometimes cheaper) for the 40X pro card (free shipping if you order more than $200 worth of stuff.)... they're about $120 for the same thing at london drugs
    Actually, Tigerdirect no longer has the free shipping after $200 orders deal anymore. But even after shipping, that card is still cheaper than anywhere I've found locally. I'm actually about to order a card there myself as well.

I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am...
    My Ride
    That Blue Car

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Actually, Tigerdirect no longer has the free shipping after $200 orders deal anymore. But even after shipping, that card is still cheaper than anywhere I've found locally. I'm actually about to order a card there myself as well.
    thanks for pointing that out, i nver noticed they chnaged it, but yea, they also have 40x 256 lexar cf cards that are *not* the professional ones (not sur ethe diffrence other than the sticker) for $71 right now.

Default www.dpreview.com

From what I remember there's overlap in the performance of Compact Flash vs SD dependant upon how fast a card you buy. The moral of the story: one is not universally faster than the other and you need to do your research on which specific card is faster for your purposes.

In my case there's even performance differences based on camera models. Also, some features that some card manufacturers use aren't utilized by some hardware. An example is that a Sandisk Extreme card is no faster than an Ultra 2 in a Nikon D70 camera.

And the differences are large, I've an old 160mb card that I haven't even seen for three months since I bought an Ultra 2 CF 512 mb card. The old card was a pain and the new one a joy!

www.dpreview.com has info on various cards in different cameras.

My Ride
    a wrx.

hmmm id say SD is better because its a superior format in many ways:

-higher storage in smaller physical size
    -lock tab feature
    -more common (only canon uses cf)
    -even canon is slowly phasing cf out of their lineup, so its safe to say that its on its way out
    -pdas and mp3 players tend to use SD or memstick if theyre sony...rarely cf.

My Ride
    2009 STi

more common (only canon uses cf)
    Nikon uses CF. The two major camera manufacturers.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

But even the 1DMKII now uses both. It could be a trend where they slowly phase out CF.

Like everyone has said SD and CF are very much the same in the way they fuction. You can also pick them up in different write speeds, (4x, 24x, 48x).

the only major difference is the card size. Basically Canon is switching over to the SD because the smaller the card, the smaller the camera.

So if you've seen the SD10, and compared it to the S400/S410 you will see the major size differenece in camera body. They are both 4mb and will have the same fuctions, except the S400/S410 does have optical zoom (3x) where as the SD10 does not.

That is unless you ment to say the SD110 and not the SD10.

So let's compare the SD110 to the S400/S410. The SD110 is a 3.2 mb camera and the does have optical zoom, but it is only 2x.
    The body size is smaller than the S400/S410... but only by 15%.

So, in closing... if you want bragging rights (smallest camera and easiest one to lose.) go with the SD10. I comes in 4 colors!. but if fuction and style was your choice. Go with the S410.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by tulit

Nikon uses CF. The two major camera manufacturers.
    nikon is switching to SD too.

My Ride
    2009 STi

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    nikon is switching to SD too.
    Oh serious?
    Alright, I guess Im in denial then from all this CF I'm going to be stuck with .

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I don't think the switch over will be overnight. For Canon, I suspect the new 10DMKII will have both and then maybe the 1DsMKII might also. There are way too many pro camera users out there on the same upgrade path for Canon to screw them over so quickly.

That being said, for the SLR user, there is no reason to have a smaller memory card, in fact, I bet it will remain 1 CF and 1SD as I have not heard of a 4GB SD yet.

My Ride
    money-pit

cool thanks guys... i think im going to go with the s500. what does everyone think of this camera.. as far as i know its identical to the s400 except that it is 5 megapixels. as well doesnt rage2's parents own a camera shop or something??? can beyond members score a decent deal there??
    No and Im not like them....