Quantcast
Nausea and Blackouts - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nausea and Blackouts

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

Default Nausea and Blackouts

I've recently been having a bad cause of nausea and blackouts lately. I've been feeling really weary these days with a consistent feeling of illness (it's not severe, but lingering).

Anyone know the possible cause(s) and some ways to deal with these symptons?

Thanks

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

go get your head checked out, you could have a serious underlying isue.
    Travel

My Ride
    Highlander

I had the same problems a few years ago, they sent me to like 10 doctors in 6 months and we enetually figured out I was hypoglycemic and I don't deal with stress well. How's the stress in your life, unusually high or pretty normal?

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

Have you had the flu...cause doesnt Meningitis have symtoms of blacking out etc...? think i read it in the paper today actually....

anyways, you should get it checkd out...

The patient was reported to have been suffering flu-like symptoms for a week, but worsened yesterday when she started losing consciousness and became belligerent.
    that might help, for my meningitis comment

Please see a doctor as soon as you can. Your symptoms could relate to something worrisome.

When do you have the nausea? After you eat? First thing in the morning? Do you vomit? Do you have a fever or headaches?

What happens when you black out? Do you actually pass out? Is that when you are nauseated?

I can't give you a diagnosis, of course, but I do know that you need to be seen by a physician. It is always better to get these things checked out, instead of asking for what it COULD potentially be online. Since we can't do a proper examination and take your full history, we would only be guessing, and that can be dangerous.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

It's possible that it is just due to the recent heat as well. Try drinking a ton of water but I'd still advise heading to the doctor.

My Ride
    a wrx.

now im no doctor YET, but heres my advice.

-lots of BEEF
    -lots of HOMO milk
    -as well, anything that involves cheese is a good thing, as are large portions of shake n' bake drumsticks
    -make sure your living space is at least 25 degrees so u can walk around wearing only shorts and sweating on everything.

seriously! i havent been sick for like 2 years since i started doing this.

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

yeah, i am definetely going to see a doctor.

as far as the nausea and blackouts, they aren't extreme cases.

what worries me most is that I am a generally very healthy person, so this is probably not linked to anything else such as the flu and what not.

as far as stress is concerned, it shouldn't be an issue. I have never felt or been under too much stress. I'd say my stress normal is normal, if not lower.

the blackouts usually occur after I am idle for a while (sitting down, sleeping) and stand up and walk. there have been a couple times where I have collapsed at home, but retained 100% conscienciousness.

maybe I'm lacking certain important supplements in my diet...?

i have no allergies, recurring illnesses (minus this of course) or anything of that category.

however, I am taking anti-inflammatory medication for a torn ligament. I have been having these symptons quite a while before I started taking this medcation, though.

in any case, i will see the doctor and your advice is more than welcome.
    Last edited by Skyline_Addict; 07-18-2004 at 09:32 PM.

My Ride
    GAR CON!!!!!!!

From the fact that u said u have blackouts after u sit for a while.. could just be diabetes!! LOL no worries.. hypoglycemia.. thats what happenes to my friend andhes hypoglycemic.. try um sitting at ur computer for a while.. while drinking juice, sit for the same amout of time it causes u to black out. Then stand up. see what happens..

i still suggest going to the doctor tomorrow. Could be very serious, if you are scared u are only gonna hurt ur self more.

My Ride
    240sx

you might have West nile as they have had outbreaks in Calgary already and as you know due to the wet summer the mosquitos are terrible this year i would check this out fast.

Hypoglycemia should not be related to body position. Severe hypoglycemia that causes you to pass out usually occurs in people who have exogenous insulin - ie diabetics who take too much insulin. In the normal situation, your blood sugar is under extremely tight control. Your body will convert whatever it can in your body into glucose - when you have been fasting less then 24 hours, this is mostly glycogen from your liver. After 24 - 48 hours, the glycogen runs out, and the body uses the urea cycle to convert your body protein (muscle mass) to constituent amino acids and then to sugar.

What you sound like you may be having is called orthostatic hypotension. Your cardiac output does not increase enough when you get up from a seated or lying position, and you don't get enough blood to your brain. You black out, return to a lying position, and remove the effect of gravity from the equation, so blood flow to your brain normalizes, and you "come to".

I'm just postulating here, based on the limited info you've provided. You still need to see a doctor who can examine you, and maybe run some tests.

My Ride
    BMW X1 35i MSport

Originally posted by rogue
    you might have West nile as they have had outbreaks in Calgary already and as you know due to the wet summer the mosquitos are terrible this year i would check this out fast.
    that's what i was thinking too

My Ride
    2004 BMW 745Li,2003 Acura MDX,1998 BMW 325IS

Is it like, lets say you are sitting on a couch, and you get up, and you feel really dizzy all the sudden? Fell back on the couch? or similar cases like that? If so, i would say its Deficiency of Iron. Eat food with more iron in it. Or if that doesnt help, start taking iron pills or anything which has iron in it. I am pretty sure thats probably it, nothing worse or anything. Go to a doctor, and let us know what he says.

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

Originally posted by xrayvsn
    Hypoglycemia should not be related to body position. Severe hypoglycemia that causes you to pass out usually occurs in people who have exogenous insulin - ie diabetics who take too much insulin. In the normal situation, your blood sugar is under extremely tight control. Your body will convert whatever it can in your body into glucose - when you have been fasting less then 24 hours, this is mostly glycogen from your liver. After 24 - 48 hours, the glycogen runs out, and the body uses the urea cycle to convert your body protein (muscle mass) to constituent amino acids and then to sugar.

What you sound like you may be having is called orthostatic hypotension. Your cardiac output does not increase enough when you get up from a seated or lying position, and you don't get enough blood to your brain. You black out, return to a lying position, and remove the effect of gravity from the equation, so blood flow to your brain normalizes, and you "come to".

I'm just postulating here, based on the limited info you've provided. You still need to see a doctor who can examine you, and maybe run some tests.
    i believe that of all the responses, you've best "diagnosed" my situation. your description of my sympton is dead on. how would I treat this "orthostatic hyptension"?

My Ride
    Highlander

Don't take his word on it man, go see your doctor and let him actually diagnose you. Don't start doing mystery treatments to yourself if you aren't 100% sure what's going on.

Once again, I urge you to see your physician about this to make sure there isn't something more to it. Like Melinda says, don't take my word on it.

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

yep, i'm well aware of that =)

i'll do it really soon!

Originally posted by xrayvsn

Okay not to be a smartass but that is not a diagnosis. That is a description of his symptoms. What Skyline has IS orthostatic hypotension I think what he wants to know is what is causing it (or how to fix it).

Now orthostatic hypotension is extremely common. Most people have experienced it at least a couple times in their lives. Skyline, have you started taking any supplements lately? Things like ginko biloba can cause cause hypotension. Or maybe simply you haven't been drinking enough water.

Like everyone has said go see the doctor.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    2004 BMW 745Li,2003 Acura MDX,1998 BMW 325IS

ENOUGH OF THIS MAN!!
    IF HE DOESNT GO SEE HIS DOCTOR!!
    EVERYONE HAS RIGHT TO KICK HIS ASS!!!
    FOR HIS OWN GOOD!!!
    lol

Originally posted by B18C

Okay not to be a smartass but that is not a diagnosis. That is a description of his symptoms. What Skyline has IS orthostatic hypotension I think what he wants to know is what is causing it (or how to fix it).

Now orthostatic hypotension is extremely common. Most people have experienced it at least a couple times in their lives. Skyline, have you started taking any supplements lately? Things like ginko biloba can cause cause hypotension. Or maybe simply you haven't been drinking enough water.

Like everyone has said go see the doctor.

The following is said in the calmest tone. Not starting an argument, or trying to be a smartass myself.

I never said I was giving him a diagnosis. I believed I knew what his symptoms were, yes. I am not about to diagnose someone over the internet, since they never taught me how to do that in med school.

Although orthostatic hypotension can be common, can I say for sure that he isn't hypotensive because he has an arhythmia, or that the NSAIDs he is taking has caused a peptic ulcer - and that he's anemic as a result? No.

Bottom line - I wasn't giving an online diagnosis, and he needs to see his doctor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast