Quantcast
Wanted: Open Martial Arts Tournament (totally off topic) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Wanted: Open Martial Arts Tournament (totally off topic)

Default Wanted: Open Martial Arts Tournament (totally off topic)

Strange place to ask, huh?

I've been training for a kickboxing tournament which got cancelled.

Anybody know of any open tournaments comming up in Calgary?

My Ride
    purdy blue car

From time to time there are unofficial mixed martial arts gatherings (PRIDE format), but I don't think there's anything on the burner right now on that front.

I heard throught the grapevine that there's another mixed martial arts format (I forget the acronym) that'll be in Calgary I think later this month, but registration was already closed. Unfortunately, that was all second-hand info, so I can't vouch for it at all.
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

The first rule of fight club is you don't talk about fight club.

Wasn't there just one at the palace a while back? I used to be REALLY into MMA, but now I'm out of touch and out of shape. Maybe National BJJ or National Kickboxing would know.
    "All these years I thought it was power that brought responsibility. It's not. I was wrong. It's responsibility that brings power. It's knowing what needs to be done that brings strength. And courage." - Peter Parker, Earth X

I have a friend that kickboxes. I'll ask him and I'll let you know.

It was National's tournament that was cancelled.

I'll ask around the gym (Nat.). Martial Arts is so political sometimes, and I wanted to see if there was a tournament outside of our club's cirlce.

I don't want a tournament with grappling. Just one with full contact, kickboxing, or Muay Thai.

yeah, my friend does Muay Thai.
    You should just go down to Mike Miles or any other kickboxing school and ask them. That would probably be your best bet. But I can still ask my friend.

I go to National, aka. Mike Miles. Like I said, I'll ask around the gym tonight some more. I've asked a few instructors and they shrug their shoulders.

Martial Arts has a lot of cliques. Our gym may not associate with another gym that has a tournament coming up.

That's why I'm asking this on a public forum, but obviously nobody here fights.

Thanks for the help anyway

My Ride
    purdy blue car

Originally posted by Loose
    I don't want a tournament with grappling. Just one with full contact, kickboxing, or Muay Thai.
    Can't help you there, I'm afraid - I'm a grappler. Well, in my youth. Now I'm just old, fat and slow.

I'm assuming if you're a calgary kickboxer, you're already quite familar with Mike Miles, so I'm sure you would've checked down there long ago. I notice his website disappeared or moved or something - it used to have info on upcoming events.

"That's what I do boy, I fight."

Why are there no tournaments? Mike Miles teaches good stuff, his guys actually take on all comers, not like most other traditional styles (kung fu, karate, tae kwan do, etc.) Reason is if these guys fought the Thai boxers, they'd get beat and look bad, so they have to have their own little world, to be big fish in a very small pond. Rules are different also, not many fight full-contact, except maybe WTF TKD guys (kick fests).

I remember going into the ring for the first time, at a Mike Miles open tournament, with my Green Belt in ITF Tae Kwon Doe thinking I was the $#it and got my @$$ handed to me. I could kick high and fast, but that stuff is just pure rice, all show, no go.

Muay Thai is the best stand-up striking style, boxing comes very, very close
    (heard of boxers cornering Thai boxers then pummling them with uppercuts and hooks for the KO).
    Wrestling rules!
    This guy here would've owned anyone and everyone! 300 pounds of pure power!

"All these years I thought it was power that brought responsibility. It's not. I was wrong. It's responsibility that brings power. It's knowing what needs to be done that brings strength. And courage." - Peter Parker, Earth X

Also, have you tried here?:

mma.tv

Go to the Main (Underground?) Forum
    Then go to the Canada Forum, or maybe the Kickboxing forum, and post your question, they might have an answer. If you're into martial arts and don't know if this place, shame on you!

Being an ex-national level WTF Tae Kwon Do fighter, and now training with Mike, I realize that "Tae Kwon Do is rice!"

Oh well, TKD was fun when I was going through school.

I love Muay Thai though. Grappling just isn't my bag. I'm sure it's good and effective, but I have no interest in. Just doesn't look like fun to me.

The more I think about it, the more I want to fight in a tournament with all sorts of striking styles. Bring on the TKD boys!!!

mma.tv ... never heard of that. Gonna check it out...

My Ride
    purdy blue car

Muay Thai fighters with some shoot-fighting / bjj training tend to be quite tough, versatile opponents. Those knees close in start to cause some pain after a few good strikes, and it really makes you think twice going in...

It's a good discipline - one I know nothing about (except on the receiving end), but one I'd like to get in to.

Dave, where do you train?

My Ride
    purdy blue car

I don't train at all right now. I'm an old fat bastard with the reflexes of a koala.

I was trained in BJJ/street fighting while in the Legion, and fought a bit afterwards in some small MMA tournaments, but have done nothing but sit on my ever-fattening ass for the last several years.

But I'm starting to get the fever again to get back into it. It was a great adrenaline rush, and a sport that I really enjoyed (despite the occasional pummeling).

Of course, my nose is almost straight now (if you don't look too close), and I much prefer it in this orientation...

My Ride
    Anything topless.

If u've been training and have no tournament, do what they did in the olden days and just go to some other school and challenge their best fighter!!!! might work and might not..who knows!! haha
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

I got whooped so bad in sparring class yesterday, I don't want to look at a set of boxing gloves for a couple days... (like a kickboxing hangover)