Quantcast
class withdrawal - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: class withdrawal

My Ride
    Integra

Default class withdrawal

Okay, I got a question about dropping a summer class that I am currently in. I am so busy at work that I cannot find the time to keep up with my studies. I mean I work all day and do as much homework I can possibly do at night but it’s just not enough to keep up with the material. So I am contemplating whether to drop the class. The class I am in now is indented to be taken in the Winter ’05 session but I wanted to ease workload by taking it now. Do you guys have any comments to help me out from your own experiences? Also if I get a “W” from the withdrawal and take the class in the Winter and get a mark for it will the “W” still remain on my transcript or will the mark I get cover it? Thanks!

Oh Yeah, I did do a search but the threads I found didn’t quite answer my question so I started another one.

My Ride
    Kompressor

If you withdraw, the W will always be on your transcripts. It doesn't get replaced, even if you repeat the course & get a grade for it...

For your situation, I would consider dropping the course... have you written any midterms yet? Do you know where you stand right now?

All I have to say is that a W looks better than an F or a D, in which case you would probably have to repeat the course anyways, so consider dropping it now...

My Ride
    Integra

See the problem I am facing is the deadline for dropping the class has long pasted and the only thing I can do now is withdraw from it. But I have a midterm exam tomorrow evening and I will make my choice after writing it. I just wanted to see if there were any consequences from dropping a class and what some of you guys have done in tight situations like these.

i say drop it, no point in overworking urself, some faculties hav certain number of Ws u can hav, so, check that out, if it checks out, ur cool, and then jus take the class again in fall or winter, im in chem203 right now, and im probly gonna drop it and tkae it agian later in winter or somethign....

My Ride
    08 GSR

Personally, if it were me, I'd try to get some days off work to study more on your class. I mean I'd feel kinda ripped if I spent 500 bucks to register for a class, and have to withdraw. That wastes time and money. But if you have like an office job from 9-5 every monday-friday, that's kinda hard to get days off. Also it depends how you are doing in the class. Like if you are on the verge of failing the class, a W on your transcript is better than an F.
    I was so close in dropping my CPSC 331 class during the winter semester, because stupid ass department of Computer Science decides to take the letter grade of all your work instead of a percentage (so if a pass was a 50 percent, and you got a 30 percent, you basically got a 0). I got my ass in gear, studied really hard for the final, and did a little bit if copying , and scraped by with a C+.

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

Originally posted by kiwi
    All I have to say is that a W looks better than an F or a D, in which case you would probably have to repeat the course anyways, so consider dropping it now...
    Just curious, are you sure that a W looks "better" then an F or D/D+, because ive heard that if you get an F or D/D+ and redo the course and do good it looks better then withdrawing because it shows that you "gave up". from what ive heard this is the case! im not sure just looking for some clarifaction! because i didnt get a W in my bio class i got a D+ and will be redoing it... so ya.. i know all the W/F/D/D+ will all stay on ur transcript but will they count towrds your final GPA? and if your transferring will it just be 10 classes or overall GPA?

haha sorry kinda jacked ur thread?

but for your case i would take some time off work unless you are doing really shitty after ur midterm! if not then go for it! but if ur doing the 9-5thing then it may be hard! tough call!

education vs. work = LIFE!!

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

There's only 3 weeks left of summer classes, and like V6-BoI said, you already paid the $500 for it and won't get it back. I'd say cut back on the hours at work for the few weeks and hack it out. If you're really hurtin for cash, just work extra hours after the class ends. Fall classes don't start until 3 or 4 weeks after summer classes anyways. Worse comes to worse, you can withdrawl up to the last day of the class, I believe. Atleast by then you'll know how well you're doing.

And W's do look better than D/F's. D/F's drag your GPA down, while W's don't count towards them at all.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

If your not failing now and have like a c- try to hack out the rest of the semister and maybe the prof is nice and curves the marks in your favor . And if you drop still go to as many classes as you can so you can learn as much as possible making it a lot better for you the second time around. I did that with math 271 ughhhh what an evil course.

Hey V6-Boi, what year are you going in to cpsc, and 331 during the winter was a lot harder then in the fall i fell sorry for those who were in it.

i dunno i think a W is also looked at as a d or f by many people...so id just try to stick it out and get through the course instead of wasting money and getting a W when you might be able to pull out a decent grade.

My Ride
    Kompressor

Originally posted by Gondi Stylez
    Just curious, are you sure that a W looks "better" then an F or D/D+, because ive heard that if you get an F or D/D+ and redo the course and do good it looks better then withdrawing because it shows that you "gave up". from what ive heard this is the case! im not sure just looking for some clarifaction! because i didnt get a W in my bio class i got a D+ and will be redoing it... so ya.. i know all the W/F/D/D+ will all stay on ur transcript but will they count towrds your final GPA? and if your transferring will it just be 10 classes or overall GPA?

haha sorry kinda jacked ur thread?

but for your case i would take some time off work unless you are doing really shitty after ur midterm! if not then go for it! but if ur doing the 9-5thing then it may be hard! tough call!

education vs. work = LIFE!!
    I would much rather have a W than an F/D, cuz those hurt your gpa so much... & you might risk being placed on academic probation too
    When you transfer, they usually look at your 10 most recent courses to calculate your gpa.

My Ride
    08 GSR

Originally posted by BigDL

Hey V6-Boi, what year are you going in to cpsc, and 331 during the winter was a lot harder then in the fall i fell sorry for those who were in it.
    Actually I am in computer engineering. I am going into 3'rd year. All software and computer engineers have to take CPSC 331 during second year. Now that I think of it, CPSC 331 during winter semster wasn't even that hard. I failed my midterm cuz I didn't do the first assignment myself, and I didn't copy the answers from my friend who was sitting beside me, haha

And I take back what I said about a W looking better than a F on a transcript. What I meant to say, is that a W is better because it will not effect your GPA. A W and a F probably look the same to some people, they probably think "This person gives up really easily" or "This person is a dumb/lazy ass".

My Ride
    Integra

Thanks for all the input guys; really helpful stuff. I think I am going to giv'er and giv'er some more in hopes of doing well in the rest of this class.

V6-BoI that was some solid advice as always, thanks!

My Ride
    08 GSR

Originally posted by rsxrsx
    Thanks for all the input guys; really helpful stuff. I think I am going to giv'er and giv'er some more in hopes of doing well in the rest of this class.

V6-BoI that was some solid advice as always, thanks!
    Heh no problem man, best of luck to ya.

My Ride
    Subaru Impreza (White)

well a W can be interpreted in many ways.... If anyone asks w=you why you have a W here you can always make up something and say you couldn't finish the class... And not becasue you did bad in it..... But if you got a F or a D it pretty much means your stupid.... and there nothing you can say about that....

But anyways good luck man.... Oh by the way what class is this???