Quantcast
e36 vs s13/s14 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: e36 vs s13/s14

My Ride
    '15 GTI

Default e36 vs s13/s14

should i sell the bmw and buy a 240 (for sure will get sr20 swap)? pros, cons?

My Ride
    1994 Civic Hatch

If you want to be a boy racer, go buy the nissan. if you want a great looking car with great quality that is respectable, keep the bimmer.
    B16, Alaniz Head, Toda C's, Hondata

My Ride
    '15 GTI

the main thing is, i want a car that is fun and reliable, the bmw is reliable and handles wicked, but its slow, and for the amount of money i want to spend, a 240 would be much faster

Lurking in some bushes outside your house
    My Ride
    S14/D21

Originally posted by boostfed
    If you want to be a boy racer, go buy the nissan. if you want a great looking car with great quality that is respectable, keep the bimmer.
    This coming from a guy who owns the ultimate "boy racer" car

Keep the Bimmer
    Last edited by KoukiS14; 08-02-2004 at 05:35 PM.

My Ride
    Whiney '02 WRX

The Bimmer has a lot more class. But if you manage to find a 240 with a really clean body, then I suggest you buy it and do the SR20 swap. I love mine...

Originally posted by boostfed
    If you want to be a boy racer, go buy the nissan.
    Boy racer? The civic is a boy race car. All the 16 yr olds who get them think they're the fastest bastards in the world till a Nissan comes by and spanks them. They proceed to go on Beyond hatin on a car better than theirs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Idratherbsidewayz; 08-02-2004 at 05:03 PM.

My Ride
    '15 GTI

i realize that im not that much of a stickler for the showiness, i'd rather have boost and the ability to pull on a corvette, im 19 and have the rest of my life to build/buy a sick bmw...the only thing im worried about is can a 240 handle and drive as well as the bmw with mods?

My Ride
    GTI

Sell it, if it was anything other than a 318 or 320 I'd say keep it, people are just blinded by the BMW badge. IMO the 318 is nothing great to own. S13/S14

Actually I'd take a 240 over any E36 that isn't a 328is or M3.

My Ride
    Mercedes 190's

I think we need to know which engine your BMW has??? I was in the same situation as you at one time and would way rather have the BMW after having driven many 240s. Pain in the ass finding a decent one also.

Originally posted by Big_C_racing
    I think we need to know which engine your BMW has??? I was in the same situation as you at one time and would way rather have the BMW after having driven many 240s. Pain in the ass finding a decent one also.
    LOL...hmmm his name is three.eighteen, he drives an E36 so i would hazard a guess and say it is a 318i or is ,

KoukiS14: There will be no "buying a 318" he already has it.

READ people...

Keep the 318 if it is in MINT shape..cancerous suggests rust and translates to big $$$ for our bavarian friend..otherwise look at a 92-93 325 or something similar.

A 240 may be fast but it'll never have the presence or respect of the BMW...You can put all the suspension mods on a 240 and make it fast as hell, but it'll NEVER feel as solid or well built, especially at highway speeds..

So basically what is more important to YOU right now? We can't tell you that
    Last edited by ZorroAMG; 08-02-2004 at 05:25 PM.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by Big_C_racing
    it's a 5spd 318. (4cyl)
    I think more importantly we should be asking what model year 240.

I would definatly scrap your base bimmer for an S14 hands down, far superior cars.

Like Hakk said, unless you got a 5spd 328 or M3, not much to really say.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG

A 240 may be fast but it'll never have the presence or respect of the BMW....
    Maybe an M bimmer, but a base model entry line BMW aint the cats pyjamas, I have more respect for an SR20 240 than a bottom line 318, thats a car for someone who just wants to say they own a bmw.

My Ride
    E36///M3

Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Keep the 318 if it is in MINT shape..cancerous suggests rust and translates to big $$$ for our bavarian friend..otherwise look at a 92-93 325 or something similar.

A 240 may be fast but it'll never have the presence or respect of the BMW...You can put all the suspension mods on a 240 and make it fast as hell, but it'll NEVER feel as solid or well built, especially at highway speeds..

I agree. But if you wanna trick out a bimmer, be prepared to spend alota cash.

Or you can experiment with a 240, and spend twice as less on mods.
    Introduce your heart to your throat.

My Ride
    Mercedes 190's

Sorry about that....go with a 95+ 240sx or upgrade to a nice BMW with some guts. Just remember that there are a lot of crappy 240's and BMWs out there, make sure you know what your getting into.

My Ride
    '15 GTI

yeah...the bmw was my first car, lots of mistakes went into it, so i want to find a project car that is mint to begin with, the reason i want to buy the 240 is i realize that modding a bmw is expensive, and i should do it when i actually have the funds for it

My Ride
    Wristshots

if u want speed and performance and all that , i'd say go with the S14....as previously mentioned u need lots of money to pu in2 an E36 , or an engine swap for it to perform nicely...

My Ride
    1994 Civic Hatch

Originally posted by KoukiS14

This coming from a guy who owns the ultimate "boy racer" car

Keep the Bimmer
    I own a civic because I'm not 20 anymore, and can afford to have one plush vehicle to daily drive in, and then another car to have for the weekends or whenever I feel like it. If I could only have one car you can bet your ass I wouldn't be driving a civic.
    B16, Alaniz Head, Toda C's, Hondata

Default Re: e36 vs s13/s14

Originally posted by three.eighteen.
    should i sell the bmw and buy a 240 (for sure will get sr20 swap)? pros, cons?
    The BMW is your first and only car, so why not try the 240 for something different?

Originally posted by Hakkola
    Sell it, if it was anything other than a 318 or 320 I'd say keep it, people are just blinded by the BMW badge. IMO the 318 is nothing great to own. S13/S14

Actually I'd take a 240 over any E36 that isn't a 328is or M3.

Originally posted by Ben

Like Hakk said, unless you got a 5spd 328 or M3, not much to really say.

Maybe an M bimmer, but a base model entry line BMW aint the cats pyjamas, I have more respect for an SR20 240 than a bottom line 318, thats a car for someone who just wants to say they own a bmw.

I think you should rethink your statements. I just bought an E36 318is and I think it's a great little car. It's not a fast car. There's noboubt that a 240 with an SR20 swap would be faster but speed isn't nessecarily important. What's the point of having a few hundred HP and suspension that can barely handle city streets if you don't drive on the track. I don't drive on the track and I don't need a few hundred HP so the 318 was a perfect car for me. They're cheap, reliable and great on gas. They have all the little comforts that people buy a BMW for. My car is 10 years old and it has heated seats... that's not even an option on a lot of brand new cars these days!

Acceleration isn't everything guys... as you two should know. Besides, after riding sportbikes on and off the track even rage's Porsche seems slow.

Oh, and BTW. The E36 318 handles better than any other E36 that isn't an M3. It's lighter.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

hmmm...I never said anything about accelleration.

We're discussing a heavily modivied 240 versus a entrylevel bmw.

Of course the BMW has creature comforts, it's not a base model neon. for what they sold for they should. Hell, beat ass VW jettas from 89 had heated seats and those cars are worth like 10 grand off the lot.

All I said is that I wouldn't base the decision of owning a 318is just cause it's a BMW...were looking at modifying a 240 (still havend been told what year) that sure as hell wont have stock suspension if you're gonna spend the time and money on an SR20 swap, and a basically unmodified, cept for suspension/wheels, bimmer.

2 completely different cars here. Yes, stock for stock, same model year cars (that would put his 318 up against the s13), I would choose the BMW, but if you're comparing a Modified s13 or s14 to his current 318, 240 indefinatly.

If he buys the 240, his whole automotive experience will change greatly.
    Travel

Originally posted by Ben

If he buys the 240, his whole automotive experience will change greatly.

Yep... that's sure the truth. I simply responded because people were cutting down the 318 because it's not a fast car. Depends on your wants in the end... If I wanted a fast car I wouldn't have bought mine. I went from a 330Ci to a truck to a 318is... and let me tell you... it's sure nice to be in something comfortable again. Fast and comfort can be had... but we all know how expensive those cars are!

My Ride
    S13

Get the best of both worlds. Swap an Sr into your BMW.

http://members.shaw.ca/kfgroup/sr20det.htm

If it can be done in an E30 that an E36 cant be that hard.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast